What do you think was the problem with this Ford Super Duty?

My fiancé's step-dad has a 2017 F350 and he experienced the death wobble at about 21,000 miles. Ford replaced the front steering stabilizer shock with a new one and he hasn't had it since. I think he has around 28,000 miles on it now.

My fiancé's step-dad has a 2017 F350 and he experienced the death wobble at about 21,000 miles. Ford replaced the front steering stabilizer shock with a new one and he hasn't had it since. I think he has around 28,000 miles on it now.
it will do it again the stabilizer is undersized. he will need a aftermarket one or dual stabilizers to really fix it.

This has been an issue with just about any front solid axle setup that doesn't use leaf springs... Jeep Cherokees (going back to 1984 here) and Grand Cherokees can exhibit the same thing - particularly with worn suspension components or modified suspension - not that any Jeep owner would do that... Move on to the Ram 1/2 ton pickups of the Early 90's, etc... The issue is now on the heavier 3/4 ton and up trucks, as they are the only ones left with solid axles, and the manufacturers continue to try to provide improved ride quality...

This has been an issue with just about any front solid axle setup that doesn't use leaf springs... Jeep Cherokees (going back to 1984 here) and Grand Cherokees can exhibit the same thing - particularly with worn suspension components or modified suspension - not that any Jeep owner would do that... Move on to the Ram 1/2 ton pickups of the Early 90's, etc... The issue is now on the heavier 3/4 ton and up trucks, as they are the only ones left with solid axles, and the manufacturers continue to try to provide improved ride quality...
You necro'd from Sep '21 but no, leaf spring fronts can do it, too. My SAS'd Bronco did. In that case I actually preloaded the upper king pin springs with 3/16" thick washers under the cap. Helped but didn't cure it completely.

You necro'd from Sep '21 but no, leaf spring fronts can do it, too. My SAS'd Bronco did. In that case I actually preloaded the upper king pin springs with 3/16" thick washers under the cap. Helped but didn't cure it completely.
I read somewhere that this problem does not occur on solid axles with leaf springs, dont know if actually true or not.

my truck steering gear is sloppy and never had death wobble.

97 ford f350 4x4 diesel

I read somewhere that this problem does not occur on solid axles with leaf springs, dont know if actually true or not.

my truck steering gear is sloppy and never had death wobble.

97 ford f350 4x4 diesel
Makes absolutely no sense. DW is almost always caster. The knuckles don't know if you're running leafs or coils.

If only coil suspension can suffer DW then how do we explain shopping cart wheels at speed? And I imagine if you inverted head tube angle on a motorcycle (or just went very steep with the angle) death would ensue.

I'm sure guys with CJ's and YJ's have experienced DW, especially the spring-over crowd?

Makes absolutely no sense. DW is almost always caster. The knuckles don't know if you're running leafs or coils.

If only coil suspension can suffer DW then how do we explain shopping cart wheels at speed? And I imagine if you inverted head tube angle on a motorcycle (or just went very steep with the angle) death would ensue.

I'm sure guys with CJ's and YJ's have experienced DW, especially the spring-over crowd?
You are right, it makes no sense. My truck is 25 years old with 203k miles.
never had death wobble and has leaf springs with solid axle, makes me wonder if the problem is not fully understood.

To be fair, he didn't Necro the post, just replied to to the guy who did.

only stiff axles I’ve had were a Dodge PowerWagon (leafs) and my Rubicon - had that Dodge 17 years - none of that.
Rubicon drives great …
most things in between were GM 4WD’s - no issues

Had 10+ jeeps over the years so I have plenty on time in the seat on the ol' death wobble. Have also had 3 of the late model Ford's HD's with the solid front axle. Never had the full blown DW on the Ford's but you can tell they want to do it. Man hole covers on the road seem to be a big contributor to the problem.

This is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Thank God Ford is no longer designing and building airplanes.

Didn't Dodge offer to buy back their mid '90s trucks because the DW problem was unsolvable?

Scott

Back