What Do You Think Of Pennzoil Syn Blend 5w30 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried Pennzoil synthetic Blend 5w30 on a 3.3 chrysler v6 and it seemed to burn/ leak faster than the Pennzoil yellow bottle. Also on one occasion when started after sitting for 4 days it sounded like a rod knock for about 3 seconds. This also happened on a 2002 3.0 mercury mariner one of my engine rebuilders owns.. I think i am going back to regular dino both engines have over 150,000 miles on them but usually run very good.
the 3.3 had a napa gold and the ford 3.0 had a motorcraft both had around 1500-1700 miles on the oil.
Anyone else have this problem?

I've been using it for several years now but not in vehicles with that many miles.My little Toyota that I use to commute 120 miles a day seems to really like it.Over the years like everyone else, I've tried MANY different brands.This one seems to do fine.

I have an old tired Dodge 3.3 that saw synthetic oil for the first time about 2 years ago. It had a small leak at the time. With synthetic oil it was noisy and I could hear all the lifters when I had the window open. The small leak became a huge leak and I have not been able to stop it. The van sits in my driveway now with a pan under it. I would stick with dino if I were you.

Should be a great oil. Maybe your vehicles are just not the best match for synthetic, the Pennzoil blend is at least 50% syn.

I sure wish we had a VOA/UOA for the stuff, plenty of users on here but never a UOA that I have found. If it had the same add pack as PYB but with the syn blend base it would definitely be my winter oil.

I ran the Pennzoil Dexos blend 2 times in a row in my GP and it did very well. Currently using the QS Dexos blend in the same vehicle. I can't say the 3800s are very picky though....

My jeep consumed a bit while I had defy in it and none with PYB. I would personally try pennzoil HM. It's not a blend so consumption hopefully won't be an issue. If consumption stops, maybe go back to PYB?

My engine had no problems when I used it. That was the the only oil that ever exceeded 8K miles in my engine.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I have an old tired Dodge 3.3 that saw synthetic oil for the first time about 2 years ago. It had a small leak at the time. With synthetic oil it was noisy and I could hear all the lifters when I had the window open. The small leak became a huge leak and I have not been able to stop it. The van sits in my driveway now with a pan under it. I would stick with dino if I were you.

Which brand of synthetic oil was that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back