What do you think is "hard on oil".

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am always confused. I had pretty good result running M1 5W30 on my integra for 8.1k OCI. You can search my result on this board and take a look.

I drive moderately fast (80mph to 100mph depends on traffic) and my trips are 50miles each way and every other week 400miles each way between SF and LA. This push my tacho at 3.5krpm to 4krpm at most time.

Oil seems fine in all result except the solid level, and get very dark by the time I reach late 9k to early 10k. Would it be a wise idea to just run dino to 6k or 7k? Or a filter change at 7.5k and push M1 longer (I am thinking about 15k).

By the way, it is San Franciso and LA weather so it is consider "warm" by the standard in auto industry I guess.

hard on oil????
grin.gif

YIKES!

Oh you mean hard on....oil.

I don't think you want to change to 7K with dino for those conditions. I would say to reduce the M1 OCI a bit OR try Lube Control (seriously).

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
hard on oil????
grin.gif

YIKES!

Oh you mean hard on....oil.

LOL I thought the same thing when I read the title of the post. Lots of NC-17 answers immediately sprang to mind.
grin.gif

PandaBear:

I think you're in the "ideal" driving environment, both for your motor and for your oil.

Want to abuse an oil and an engine? Try this:

Stop in go driving where the temp gauge stays on the bottom peg, running a Brand-X 5W-30, at -40. The condensation alone will make that dino 5W-40 fall apart. Change it every 200 miles (Not 2,000, 200) or else.

Otherwise maybe lower your OCI 1,000 miles, send a sample, see how that works. Sometimes you have to fiddle a little with the OCI to optimize things. Though it doesn't seem like you have a major problem.

Jerry

Yeah, I know the long trip and freeway driving helps, but just wondering regarding to high rev (not sure if it is high but the engine does sound loud and the car does feel like it is floating on air at those speed) or high throttle.

With the suggestion from you guys I guess I can sleep better, from environmental, economical, and time point of view. With the miles I drive I sure hate to change oil every 2-4 weeks as in Dino.

4k RPM isn't exactly "high RPM," and your driving conditions approach optimal. Don't worry about the oil getting dark. You'll be just fine.

Err... Just a thought: maybe a by-pass filter? It will definitely extend the OCI by quite a bit. One-time expense, but after that, piece of mind, less trouble and maybe even less money on oil & filters.
What air filter are you using?

[ January 30, 2004, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Ma-fia ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ma-fia:
Err... Just a thought: maybe a by-pass filter? It will definitely extend the OCI by quite a bit. One-time expense, but after that, piece of mind, less trouble and maybe even less money on oil & filters.
What air filter are you using?

I agree, definatly look into a bypass filter if you intend on keeping your car for any period of time over 3 years. Plus you can always take it off and put it on the next vehicle you get so it is a truely one time purchase, well worth to prevent repairs down the road. Best part of all you extend engine life at the same time as saving money it is a win win situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back