What Do You Think About Long-Term (20+ Years) Ownership Potential Of Modern Cars?

The old cars are easier to repair mechanically, but rust easily can take them off the road even if otherwise fine. I've stocked up on certain spare parts for the stuff I have from the 1960's-80's that I keep inside and off the roads in salt season. I'm not too interested in trying to keep up with repairs on 'complicated' cars of recent manufacture.

Reactions: JC1
BOF definitely isolates for NVH much better than unibody. Anything short of a luxury vehicle with a unibody is going to have the same sort of harshness and transmission of road noise into the cabin. All modern vehicles compete to be "sporty" with the low profile rims and super stiff suspension even though most people are only using them as grocery getters. Not a fan of that trend.

Most newer cars I’ve been in are pretty quiet these days. New materials, sound dampening materials and insulation, and the use of glue instead of welds contribute to a longer lasting and quiet interior. I have to look at the tach to see if the engine is running.

Some vehicles that are very common like my 2016 Honda CR-V or the Toyota Rav-4 will have used parts including the electronics available at large auto salvage yards for a very long time. As far as these vehicles go as long as it is not a rare version such as the few with a standard transmission, used parts will be available for a long time.

So one thing to keep in mind if you plan on keeping a vehicle for a long time, is weather or not it is a vehicle that is one of the top sellers.
That is a great point you made there JimPghPA. My last vehicle was a 2001 Acura Integra. Super fun to drive, but not as high a production as the Civic it was based on. Parts and options for parts were 'ok', but nothing like my current vehicle. 1990's W bodies were made in very large numbers. When I went to replace my intake manifold along with the upper/lower intake manifold gaskets, I had no less than 3 or 4 aftermarket options along with the GM OEM 'upgraded' design. Parts cost was very reasonable and labor hours not that bad. I was glad to have a vehicle for a change that was not an 'odd ball' to get parts for.

More electronics might be a concern with infotainment.

But cars have had electronics in them since the 80s at least; lots of electronics at least since the late 90s/early 00s.

Some of it is obscene. When cars need to be coded to take replacement parts, that’s silly. But electronics, PCBs, circuits, chips, control units, all have been with us.

What makes one think we have gone backwards with design of electronics for longevity?

Well in the case of almost all 2013 - 2017 Cadillacs, their touch screen, which controls everything, named "CUE" will go south. Multiple class action lawsuits filed, and closed with no resolution. The aftermarket stepped up quickly with better quality screens at an affordable price.
I wasn't thrilled about this but at least my SRX has been great aside from the touchscreen. I had mine replaced for $400 (part and labor) with:

Well in the case of almost all 2013 - 2017 Cadillacs, their touch screen, which controls everything, named "CUE" will go south. Multiple class action lawsuits filed, and closed with no resolution. The aftermarket stepped up quickly with better quality screens at an affordable price.
I wasn't thrilled about this but at least my SRX has been great aside from the touchscreen. I had mine replaced for $400 (part and labor) with:

$400? It would cost more to replace a broken CD player in a 2002 car. I've found all the new tech in cars to be extremely reliable.

I plan on keeping our '19 Atlas long term. The only real issues I forsee are with the nav and cluster screens.

As there are now for earlier systems, there will be an aftermarket to support them. It is one of the benefits to owning an "enthusiast" brand. Solutions will be available because people are passionate about the cars.

As for my '12 Touareg, I plan on trading it for a '11-'12 Q7 TDI and keeping that long term. Just waiting for the right one. I'd really like B&O.
Is your Atlas the 2.0TSI or VR6?

I think owning a modern vehicle for 20 years from new is possible, but to keep all the systems running as new will be costly. We did end up choosing to stick with the S trim on our new Jetta for a few reasons, but long term ownership one of them. SE+ models have a pano roof and long term ownership concerns. A few owners have had their roof explode, outside of warranty that is a $3000+ repair, yikes!

If one was looking to purchase new car and keep it for 20 years they should avoid such options IMO, unless they are willing to pony up the $$$ if something breaks. I'm fine with technology advancing as long as automakers still produce models with more reliable systems for owners that don't want all the new gadgets rolled in with every trim level. Wow, I sound old.

Also, it pays to do research! Don't go out and buy a new car without doing your homework. That shiny new "cute ute" may have just been fitted with a new gas sipping CVT (nothing against them) and 3 cylinder engine for the new model year and has not been proven yet. Don't expect 20 years and 200K miles out of a new powertrain that has yet to be road tested and proven. Remember, we are now the beta testers.

The problem is the trend with components being VIN coded and requiring a special dealer computer to program it. Even a simple battery swap on the BMW requires programming, that's ridiculous. Electronics are typically pretty reliable since they are solid state with no moving parts, but heat and cycling stress will wear away at things like solder points and capacitors, and diagnosing those parts become very difficult.

When I bought my six speed base 2021 Kia Soul LX that “advanced electronics “ issue was put to bed. It doesn’t even have keyless entry or cruise control. Basic as it gets...

And I love it.

For me, keeping a vehicle long term is the best way to keep money in my pocket.

Ballpark, all the parts and tires I have thrown on my Trailblazer are so minimal compared to the payment on a new vehicle. Been paid off over 10 years. Thats a lot of dough. Also, I don't require the newest vehicle to keep up with the Jones.

Keeping a older car on the road is a dollars and cents issue. How much does it cost to do that vs. the cost of getting newer with more modern features.

People today seem more than ever to want the latest and greatest and do not want to live without it. As a simple example, a large chunk of today's car drivers can not drive a car without a backup camera. They drive a rental or someone else's car with a backup camera and then get rid their own older car without a backup even thought it drives fine and doesn't cost a lot to maintain. They end up with a car with said backup camera plus a lot of other modern stuff that their own car is also missing. In a few years time, it is rinse and repeat.

I also prefer my vehicles not be too new. Sure, new vehicles have all these nice and fancy features, full of comfort and entertainment and safety, and there is definitely something to be said for comfort and safety. Personally, I want something that is reasonably safe and reasonably good on gas, but extremely reliable and extremely good at what I use it for. I would forego the heated seats and infotainment systems in favor of a user-friendly layout that allows me to do an oil/filter change in 20 minutes and change the spark plugs in 30 minutes. I plan to keep my Tacoma until the wheels fall off, and reasonably expect it to go 300-400,000 miles. It might not look too great at that point but I don't care that much. It currently has 165,000 miles and runs awesome.

Back