What Do You Shave With?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gillette Fusion razor

I used to use the Sensor, then the Mach 3. The Sensor always gave me the closest shave but gave me more razor burn. The Mach 3 was a big improvement in that regard. The Fusion is even better. I can get a blade to last a few weeks or more usually. Some seem to last much longer than others. The cost is kind of steep, maybe more than they are worth.

Kitchen knife lubricated with rubbing alcohol.

I use a Mach 3 with shaving cream if I have some, otherwise with soap. I tried using an electric a while ago (Norelco with the three flat rotating heads) but found that it didn't get close enough for my liking and irritated my face unless I used it basically every day. Too bad, because the convenience really was enticing.

Last edited:
Got a Fusion free in the mail, but I looked at the refill cartridges ($$$), so I use an Atra-clone and a Personna 3-blade. I inherited 3 electrics, but haven't used them yet.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
mach 3 razor with shaving soap and a brush. shaving soap is cheap and works better than anything I've used that comes out of a can.

This is my set up now. Been using Mach 3 since they came out. I've tried all kinds of shaving creams, gels and oils. All my faves are really expensive so lately I've been trying shaving soaps & boars hair brush, so far so good.

Okay I'm somewhat OCD on shave stuff.

For the last 3 years I have been using these Cryo Treated blades. They last 3-5 times longer than standard blades.

I currently use a Schick Quattro and order the blades online.

Here is where I get them: http://www.greatrazors.com/

One 8 pack of blades lasts me about 1 year. This is less than 1 blade a month. I usually get about 6 weeks out of a blade. I shave about every day because I'm in the military.

As far as gel goes, I have the best luck with Edge Gel. I currently have a can of gillette and it doesn't seem to work as well.

Anyone who know anything about metallurgy, knows that cryo treated blades are more durable because the metal carbides are aligned and strengthened.

Yes those blades do work.

For whatever reason, the cheapy non-pivot 2 blade Bics they have in big bags at our Sams work the best for me!

I used to use nothing but Colgate Aloe shaving cream, but Colgate no longer makes shaving cream, or I can't find it.

You guys have me intrigued about the shave soap. Can you find it at the local grocery store?

Cheap shaving cream, Gillette Trac II blades. Gillette lasts longer than other brands like Shick and such, and the other types of blades seem to be more expensive.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
I use a Gillette Venus razor, yes its marketed to women, but i find the blades last much longer.

Well, the hair on your legs does tend to be a bit softer, too.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
For whatever reason, the cheapy non-pivot 2 blade Bics they have in big bags at our Sams work the best for me!

I used to use nothing but Colgate Aloe shaving cream, but Colgate no longer makes shaving cream, or I can't find it.

You guys have me intrigued about the shave soap. Can you find it at the local grocery store?

If you want to try the cheapest way then you can find in a drug store, I know Rite-aid carries it. knife shops often carry more expensive stuff.
Sometimes it's called mug soap.
williams and Col. Conk are two common brands. I prefer Col. Conk. a $3 soap will last a year, the brush will cost $6. Boar's hair brushes are better but a cheap brush will get you started.

King Of Shaves gel in a tube is also excellent, it doesn't lather, no brush needed.

Surplus Fusion razors from the homeless shelter. It lasts about 6 months. The post office (apparently) didn't want to deliver samples (or couldn't) and we got them all. The replacement blades aren't cheap ...but I'm on my second sample razor from last season. It handles a 3 day growth easy enough.

I shave in the shower and use whatever bar of soap that I grab from the holder.

Is it time to hijack this thread, with a discussion of why people shave, and whether it's more or less attractive to the opposite/same sex? I noticed the buzz shaver I use didn't get as close as a blade, but I stopped caring and that solved the problem.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
So, what do you shave with and how do you like it?

Stop getting into my hair.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Gillette Fusion razor + Gillette Fusion shaving gel. It works well enough that I don't bother experimenting with others.

Agreed!

Clamshell, piece of flint, or chipped obsidian, if I can find it.

I shave in the shower. Anybody's 2 or 3 blade throw away type.

BTW, anybody out there try the infomercial shaving razor sharpener? Kind of like a burnish/strop device?

Originally Posted By: msparks

Anyone who know anything about metallurgy, knows that cryo treated blades are more durable because the metal carbides are aligned and strengthened.

What primarily dulls a blade are usually mineral deposits on the blade, especially along the edge. I don't see how cryo treatment would help prevent those deposits. Or maybe you have very soft water locally and get almost no deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back