What do you feel is a reasonable OCI for synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
When this site first started it seemed most members would try to push their intervals as long as possible on synthetic, but I feel like that has changed in recent years and even my own way of thinking has changed as well, for various reasons. So I decided to start this topic to see what people on here now feel is a reasonable OCI using an OTC synthetic (not one of the extended performance ones either but something like regular M1, Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Platinum) When I say reasonable, I mean what OCI do you feel gives you good value for your money but also doesn't push the limits too far? For me I used to try and go a lot longer (10-15k in some cases) but I've now scaled that back a bit and feel a bit more comfortable keeping the OCI closer to 6k (which is a nice even 10,000 km for me) Is there anyone on here that still feels like they need to do 3000 mile intervals even with synthetic?

3-5K miles.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I do realize that there are a lot of variables in play, and this was more of a discussion to find out what everyone is comfortable with doing for their own situations, not that I was looking for advice for myself. It would have been cool if we had done a poll at the beginning of this site in 2002 and then did another one today to see if the overall average OCI for members has changed.

That WOULD be interesting to see the differences, had the poll be done...wow... 16 years ago.

For me, I'm going to try to get to a 10k interval using Valvoline Synpower with either a Fram XG or Wix.

But first...have to use some Amsoil OE I bought to try in the 4Runner. Figure it should be fine to 10k but time and a UOA will tell. I don't know how cost effective the Amsoil SS would be at a 15k interval.

3000 miles for me. That's what my owners manual indicates for severe service for my '16 Subaru. I'd like to think that there's a good reason for the short interval. The oil gets changed by me 4 times a year at a cost of about $25 per change.

Was thinking about 10k before but it looks like with all the oil burning going on, I'd cut it down to 7.5K highway or 5k short trip for the better synthetic, or 5k highway and 3k short trip for dino.

I base my OCI on my vehicle. 2010 Mountaineer with the 4.0 (to many timing chains). QSUD 5w30 no less then 3,000 no more the 5,000 miles. Most of the 4.0 timing chain's failed from sludged up poorly maintained engines. So far 70,000 miles and spotless engine with no chain noise at all.

Patman, First off it's nice to see you active again, You and I both are 2002 BITOG members. Under the Ford warranty I followed the Ford set 5,000 mile OCI's for our 2005 Explorer, 2002 F-150 and 1996 Zetec Contour. After that and using synthetic oil I extended the OCI to ~8,000-9,000 miles, even over 18 months. I did an UOA on the Zetec Contour and it came back with a lot more oil life left in the oil even after ~8,800 miles and 18 months and low wear metals in the oil. These were port injected engines. Our new 2017 2.3EB Explorer has an iOLM that tracks down to 10,000 miles no matter the season or type of driving. I did 2 UOA's so far and the one one done for 7,000 summer miles of highway driving in a 2 month period showed 30% life left using Mobil 1 5W-30. The second UOA from late August to early December, 4,275 miles, using Motorcraft 5W-30 oil showed ok wear but the oil was now a 20 weight oil in that short time period. The iOLM showed 58% life left on the oil. I'll do an UOA on the currant Mobil 1 5W-30 fill I put in on 12/5 when I take it out sometime in May, at approximately 6,000+ miles. After I see that UOA I'll determine the OCI usage seasonally, more in the summer, less in the winter.
Whimsey

10 K OCIs have been my normal with M1 oils for 40 years in various engines of various makes and various conditions.

Last edited:
Changing every 10,000 miles in 2004 BMW 530i (e60) 3.0 NA I6 (6.8qts) and it still runs great with 212,000 miles, also it's still clean under valve covers - I just replaced valve cover gaskets a month or so ago.

Changing every 10,000 miles in 2017 Toyota RAV4 2.5 NA I4 (5 qts.) using Toyota 0w-20 (free dealer changes so far)

Changing every 7500 miles in new 2016 Passat 1.8 turbo DI I4 (6.7 qts.) using Mobil 1 0w-40

Changing once per year (5000 to 8000 miles)in 2000 Porsche Boxster 2.7 NA flat 6 (9.5 qts.) using Mobil 1 0w-40

Changing once per year (3000 - 6000 miles) in 1988 BMW 325i vert (e30) 2.5 NA I6 (4.5qts) using 15w-40 diesel oil

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Patman, First off it's nice to see you active again, You and I both are 2002 BITOG members.

There aren't a lot of us 2002 members that are still active on here, so it's good to see you still around too
smile.gif

My Guidelines:
3,000 if ya wanna throw $$ away
5,000 to maybe 8,000 makes sense
10,000 if you have a newer Camry and believe what Toyota sez.

Better question:
Take a braqnd spanking new 2018 RX450h. [censored] is the interval?
I am sooooo confused?

On non-European cars with no OLM, 10k or 1 year on a top-tier syn (M1/Edge/PP/PUP)

On non-Euro cars with an OLM, any syn to the OCI suggested by it

For European cars, the proper Euro-spec with the proper OCI (of course, following the OLM if so equipped)

The only cars that need a 3k OCI on full syn are the known sludge monsters like the late 90s 1MZ Camry, the VW/Audi 1.8T, and a few others, but there aren't any of these that I change the oil on

Lets see.

200k miles on the engine,
Changed at 5k mile interval is 40 oil changes over the life of the engine.
10k is 20 changes so the dfference is 20 changes.

My changes run me about $20/change with rebate M1 or PP and a $5 oem toyota filter.

Thats $400 dollar difference between the two.

At 15kmiles /year it would take 16years to get there. Thats about $30/year savings.

Weather it worth it to streatch you ocis to 10k is up to you.

Although i'd like to increase it, we just do too much stop and go traffic commutes. Currently going by Severe Service schedule for both Hyundai. Mom's HR-V will be dealer maintained (by OLM) for some time.

Sonata 2.4L: 3700

Santa Fe 2.0T: 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back