What do you feel is a reasonable OCI for synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think to avoid all the confusion, a hourmeter may be a good option to install in a vehicle.
Stop and go taffic can be very hard on the oil, engine and tranny. In heavy traffic tranny fluid easy reach 180-200'f.

100hrs on oil is the standard I think.....

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
I think to avoid all the confusion, a hourmeter may be a good option to install in a vehicle.
Stop and go taffic can be very hard on the oil, engine and tranny. In heavy traffic tranny fluid easy reach 180-200'f.

Good idea. My GXP has an engine hour meter built in to the multi display. Never thought of using that for OCI. I just bought a Fram Ultra and am planning on a 1 year oil run with it on synthetic. I will see how the hours, miles and OLM read at the next change out.

I think this is the perfect example of bench racing a lube ...

Knowing and guessing are two different approaches.
UOAs, PCs, tactile and visual observations of the equipment will all combine to let you know how long to run an OFCI.
Subjective, marketing-driven, hysteria-induced emotional pandering will make for shorter OFCIs.

I've successfully and safely run inexpensive dino lubes, with great results I might add, far longer than most BITOGers would run a syn.

To each his own ...
Why guess when you can know?

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia

My Corvette has a display that shows total engine hours. On my next oil change I should write down where it's at and see how many hours I go in a typical OCI.

The severe schedule on my 2005 Civic states to change the oil every 8000 km and the oil filter every 16000 km. When I was using conventional, I changed both every 5000 km. With synthetic I now change both every 10000 km. With my 2011 Kia Optima with the 2.4 GDI, I change both filter and oil every 10000 km as well. It is just a nice round number. I do have a catch can on the Optima because of the fuel dilation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back