What Do You Drain Your Oil Into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about starting this thread in the Tool Section, but I figured that we ought to discuss this in the section where most of the oil-related discussions occur!

So as the title states, what kind of container do you guys use to hold your used oil during oil changes? A bucket? A pitcher? A drain pan?

While I was at Walmart today, on a whim, I bought one of these bad boys for $8:

11838%2015%20Quart%20Oil%20Drain.jpg

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/oil/Oil Drains and Pans/podp15od.htm

What do you guys use?

grin2.gif

I have that pan, expect the cap on the end to break/leak after only a few uses. Replace it with a washer fluid jug cap and it'll be fine. I like it aside from the broken cap issue. I have a few other pans as well but I use that one the most.

A cheap plastic 8 quart pan from Harbor Freight. Then from there into old 5 quart oil jugs, or 1 gallon Arizona tea jugs (they stand up well to hot oil).

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I thought about starting this thread in the Tool Section, but I figured that we ought to discuss this in the section where most of the oil-related discussions occur!

So as the title states, what kind of container do you guys use to hold your used oil during oil changes? A bucket? A pitcher? A drain pan?

What do you guys use?

grin2.gif

^^I have that same one
11.gif

I use that for draining filters and another identical one for coolant. I have a cheap open top pan for actually draining oil. This mostly because I am too lazy to put the car up on ramps and the Blitz pan does not fit under my car.
Bad part about the open top is it barely holds all the oil in my pan. I usually change the filter, drain it, and then do the plug. Since it is so full I will back out before moving it.
I have 3 2.5 Gallon Rotella T jugs for draining the oil into. Perfect for this. Very wide open top.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several ..that one included. That usually ends up being a longer term filter drain and/or an intermediate storage container before we transfer it to the 5gallon jugs that I take to my pal's shop for his waste oil burner.

I have one similar to Blitz pan, I got it free from city of Irvine, CA but did not used it yet. I use Mityvac 7201 to extract oil from dipstick tube then pump used oil into gallon milk jugs to recycle.

I have a 55 gallon oil catch with pneumatic pump-less evacuator for hassle free removal of old oil.

I also have the same drain pan as The Critic, but I have cut the middle out of it and use it for mixing coolant before sucking the mixed coolant into the car using my vacuum cooling system air bleeder.

With the 530i, the oil goes straight into the extractor.

MIT-7400.jpg

For the Jetta (and the lawnmower), I bought this, but haven't had a chance to use it yet:

11837%2010%20Quart%20Oil%20Drain.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
With the 530i, the oil goes straight into the extractor.

MIT-7400.jpg

For the Jetta (and the lawnmower), I bought this, but haven't had a chance to use it yet:

11837%2010%20Quart%20Oil%20Drain.jpg

I have that bottom one too. I used it before I got the one the OP posted. Two minor beefs with it: One, the giant lid doesn't stay tight. It just pops loose when you try to tighten it. Two: when oil comes out of the pan and hits the grate it tends to splash at certain angles. Other than that, I really like it. The grate is nice for draining oil filters.

What do you guys use?

grin2.gif

I have a drain pan similar to the one you have pictured, but most of the time I just let the oil run down my arm and into my shirt sleeve.

I use one of these and then dump into a 5 gallon Ashland bulk bucket (I got 9yrs ago when roomate was manager at Valvoline Instant O/C), and take to the Auto Parts store to recycle after a couple OCI's.

21KVE7F8FPL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

What do you guys use?

grin2.gif

^^I have that same one
11.gif

X3

I always manage to pick it up completely full with the center plug out and the air breather in and it spews oil vapor in my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back