What do you do with your used oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are certain potential pitfalls that may accrue with long-term use that individuals should be aware of. At the October 2003 Society of Automotive Engineers’ meeting in Pittsburgh, a SAE Paper #2003-01-3139 (Interaction Between Fuel Additive and Oil Contaminant: Field Experiences) reported on problems occurring from the engine oil mixing with the fuel causing fuel filter plugging. The comments taken from this paper addressing this area of concern were:

“The normal range of engine oil mixing into the fuel due to high pressure injection is less than 0.1% while the disposal mixing is generally less than 0.5%. This practice (i.e., the disposal mixing) has been exercised for decades without much problem if the used oil is properly filtered. However, recent field experiences have indicated that interaction between engine oil components and some acidic additives in the fuel can cause premature fuel filter plugging. This is of immediate concern as customers can not predict which fuels have problematic additives.”

The concern being raised is that since filtering cannot remove the additive components or their reaction products from the engine oil, these will be available to react with the acidic additives that are present in some fuels, primarily the dimer-type corrosion inhibitors which are often used as lubricity improvers. So beware.

Just for the record, I do not mix my used oil with FP and pour it in my tank. I posted that as a joke. I had no idea that people actually dispose of their used oil that way. Evidently they do based on the warning in the SAE paper.
nono.gif

I thought that in California you needed a permit to recycle oil, as part of your business, and the rules of the permit don't allow you to turn away private vehicle owners that want to dump oil at your facility.
confused.gif

I dump mine into a five gallon bucket and when thats full I take it to Advance Auto or stash it behind the neighbors house and let him deal with it. Hey, its half his oil too.

The county managed Hazardous Waste Depot. Oil, filters, antifreeze, batteries, etc. The County managed recycle center allows for metal car parts and other sources, yard wastes, wood wastes and even clothing w/o charge at the enterence booth. Charges for reuse products and publishings, then theres appliances, furnature, fl. bulbs, tires, and the standard paper and cans recycling items.

It makes me feel good, though I sometimes wonder if the consumption is only shifted to another resource, say gasoline/diesel for transport then said fuels along with perhaps propane/natural gas...electricity for material sorting, prep. and finally reprocessing. It's a complex picture of processes that effect an even more complex system that governs conditions of existing that's beyond my comprehension. I can only do things the way I am able and have come to know, with interests in being "kind" and with as few negative reprocusions as I am aware of. I have come a long way.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

mojo,
If I understand your quote properly, it refers to diesel powered engines which use "high pressure injection". Makes sense.

An oil furnace I assume has a much less sophisicated burning nozzle which is not as sensitive (again making a lot of assumptions here). Come to think of it, I mix 50:1 oil into my 2-cycle small engines, such as chainsaw, which is 2% oil content. So for an oil furnace 5%-10% UMO mixing should be fine, right?

I HAVE done it. Actually, 5 ounces at a time, just like G-Man "joked." Never caused a problem....'course 2 of my past 3 cars didn't have cats, either. For the record I've never had a fuel filter clog and no, not everyone reads SAE papers for fun.

That was before I had massive quantities, though and it's a futile enterprise now. I'm waiting for the diesel for that.
wink.gif
lol.gif

Im a manager at a Ruby Tuesday. The canola oil we use for our fryers are ideal.
They are 5 gallon clear plastic jugs with a 2 inch wide mouth. The plastic jug is surrounded by a thick cardboard box so any oil that drips during the transfer is absorbed by the cardboard.

With 5 gallon capacity, I keep 3 in the garage and can make 1 big oil run a year and minimize hassle.

Try your local Ruby Tuesday or other food place, as I'm sure most places use similar product.

Out here there are tons of places that will take your oil. I believe there was a 10 quart limit though. Right now I have almost 2 - 5 gal containers full ever since I started changing oil for all of my family's cars (4). Will have to pour them into milk jugs (4 quarts?) and make several stops around town.
tongue.gif

The Dallas hazardous waste dropoff center is a few miles from my work. I just run my containers by there during my lunch break.

Wow you guys are just throwing it out or giving it away???!!!!

I pour mine over ice and have a nice cocktail after dinner. Settles your stomach and improve quick digestion. Also keeps you blood enriched with precious heavy metals.

No, I really take it to the town dumps. They use it to lubricate the conveyors in the summer and as heat in the winter. Many local towns are converting over to waste oil burners to save money on heating. Its a great idea, because its in abudent supply and helps the town recover a bit from the high oil prices.

Use to "paint" it onto wooden fence posts. Sort of a poor mans creasote. Also keeps horses from eating the posts. I wouldn't suggest this strategy with GC green. Gummy bear smell may accelerate post eating.

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
Use to "paint" it onto wooden fence posts. Sort of a poor mans creasote. Also keeps horses from eating the posts. I wouldn't suggest this strategy with GC green. Gummy bear smell may accelerate post eating.

I've done that to slow degridation of my old wooden fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back