What do you do with your used oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I give some of my oil to my Dad to put in his truck. Seriously! He has an '80 GMC stepside that he bought new, and the engine has seen better days and uses quite a bit of oil. I only run my oil 2 to 3k miles usually, so it's really not that bad. The truck is still pretty straight, and I hope he restores it someday. I take the rest of my used oil to Auto-Zone.

I mix mine 50/50 with FP and add it to my fuel tank at each fillup, 5oz at a time. I feel this is the environmentally responsible way to dispose of used oil.

Heh, heh. I didn't want to admit to it, but I do the same thing.
grin.gif

Think I should tell Terry so he can factor this in when he does my UOA interpretations?
grin.gif

Our tech center with lab and shop facilities allows employees to dump their oil changes into the company containers. Very convenient. This seems to be common in Detroit.

I also let my neighbors know they can give me their used oil for disposal.

I use mine in oil bath air cleaners for seven tractors and two irrigation motors. I also use it in the power steering units on two tractors and two old farm trucks. I've got an ancient van that burns about one quart every five hundred miles. So what comes out of my wife's car goes into the van. I have even poured some in the fuel tank of two diesel tractors I own. Doesn't seem to hurt them. The oil I send to the recycler has seen a lot of use by the time I get rid of it.

I dump all my oil and antifreeze out on the ground, indirectly? We have a local guy that's isn't too educated but makes a living cutting and selling firewood, hauling or any odd jobs he can find. Runs 3 beat trucks only 1 runs at any given time. He's glad to take used fluids and "recycle" them into his old trucks which smoke and leak pretty bad. Guess I shouldn't contribute to his pollution machines, but I suppose he'd just run new fluids to keep em going anyway. Plus he's working and not on some %$^& program.

Brett Miller,
Do you need a "special furnace" or can one use used/old motor oil in any "standard oil furnace"???

Auto-Union,
Are you saying that mixing 15/20 percent of used motor oil into heating oil for a "standard" oil furnace is fine?

I have a regular oil furnace and the tank is 1000 litres. Never thought of dumping UMO into it. 10% would be 100 litres, which is much more than I have. Say on average it is half empty, 500 litres, and I dump in say 10L / 3 months, that would be only 2%, sounds Ok???

P.S.: Never stop learning stuff here?!?!?

Have only generated 5 quarts of waste oil in my life -- having decided on a 50k mile OCI.

Still have that waste oil sitting in the garage. Probably will end up using it to top up friends'/relatives' oil burning vehicles.

G-Man II, don't know if thats such a great idea, especially with the ZDDP being in your waste oil. The general idea is to keep motor oils out of your exhaust, not to actually burn them creating phosphourous catalytic converter contamination.

pitzel,
if 1 qt/1000 miles is acceptable, and cat friendly as per the OEMs for a new motor, I doubt he's tempting fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back