What do you do for weed control?

Proper weed control that does not contaminate the Estuary behind me is way too expensive. I let them grow and now them. Wife’s bees like the early dandelions…..

I use whatever chemicals necessary they’re much safer than they were decades ago and I could care less honestly about anything else.
However we have low maintenance Zoysa grass which doesn’t require half as much as the lawns of other people including wealthy people in this country or the golf courses they play on, including everybody in Washington DC that tout the environment friendly line.
Zoysia grows so dense by early summer it smothers any existing weeds. But regardless I use whatever is needed and I bet it’s at least 50% less than all these lawn services that spray chemicals on my neighbors lawns year-round in our community.

Last edited:
I have clover, crabgrass, dandelions, buttercups, periwinkle, and a few other things growing with the grass in my yard during the growing season. You know what? After I cut everything with the push mower and the lawn tractor, it all looks about the same.

We have a lot of dandelions, and that turned out to be a problem. Perhaps the best way to get rid of it is to dig it up.

OK, this answers the question that I posted to you in the other thread. :LOL: 🍻
20220515_142006.jpg
20220515_141949.jpg

Lawn maintenance is upon us in Michigan so weeds are cropping their ugly heads up.

I know there are many ways to treat. Using spreaders with pellets, concentrates and pump sprayers, Gallon jug sprayers, Hose end mixing sprayers etc.

I usually use a concentrate and my pump sprayer and spot treat as needed.

What do you guys do?

I use Menards premium fertilizer. They have a 4 step program like Scott’s except for 2/3 the price and an additional 11% off. I’ve used the recipe for about the last 12 years. My lawn is green and plush compared to all the neighbors who use a lawn service.

Just my $0.02

Here is what I use, however I noticed that if sprayed on dandelions will full yellow heads, the plant will still produce seeds. I recently gathered some up and put them in a container of dirt. I lightly covered them up with some dirt so we’ll see if they are viable. But basically this stuff does a prettty good job. It’s the same recipe that many manufacturers have been using for over 20 years.

The weed photo was taken in the ditch. My lawn looks a bit better than that. :D

690C3A06-F542-4272-A500-FBBC1EEAB8EE.jpeg
BA5F76D8-E347-44CF-A01C-E95E169E3311.jpeg
8A73B9A6-BAA7-49E6-BE10-3714CC1B481A.jpeg

Last edited:
Planted Zoysia a couple years ago, it is really starting to spread now. It should choke out most of the weeds.

I love having some clover in the yard because we have a wild bunny family that lives in our backyard and they love to eat the white flowers. No herbicides except 1 small crack in my driveway that I spray roundup on maybe 2x a year.

Lesco stonewall pre emergent down when the Forsythia bush blooms then spot spray any broadleaf weeds with any 3 way weed killer. Thick healthy lawn best cure against weeds

Attachments

• IMG_20220512_191558018.jpg
    IMG_20220512_191558018.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 3
This year I'm going to try sticking with spot treatment on weeds and Milorganite for the feed after a dethatch and aeration. Past couple of years I've paid for 4 combo applications but my grass is generally pretty thick and therefore I don't get much for weeds.View attachment 99431
Just be careful after a few years of Milo you can have a high phosphorus soil. Fantastic idiot proof fertilizer with a nice kick of iron just be patient it's organic takes a while to kick in

Back