what dino best VOA???

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL...okay let me rephrase:

what commonly available dino oil brand has shown the best VOA numbers; specifically in either 5w30 or 10w30 weights being the sample oil weight.

For example:

Has anyone seen SM-rated oil brand X 10w30 seems to have more zinc than popular oil brand Y, etc?

I know there are a ton of them, but I know someone has taken the time to compare and I was hoping that there was a known trend, or I could catch someone with more history on this board who had wondered this same thing already.

How do you know what a good VOA is? .. A particle count, can say something about the oils cleanliness. The formulation? Cant see much in a VOA IMO.
Also it depends on if you want and ILSAC grade or a non ILSCA grade.

It can give you Zn, P, Ca, Mo concentrations correct plus TBN? Seems to be useful in comparing 2 oils. Definitely better than some dude on the internet tell you it's better because he uses it. To the OP there is a whole VOA section you may have to search though.

Yes, and I have looked at them intensively in the past... But there are many things that don't show in uoa's..Amines and organic FM's being just two of them. The point is basing an oil choice on the additives visible in a OA is making a decision with an incomplete picture of how the oil is formulated. The real test is how the oil performs and the specs it meets.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
It can give you Zn, P, Ca, Mo concentrations correct plus TBN? Seems to be useful in comparing 2 oils. Definitely better than some dude on the internet tell you it's better because he uses it. To the OP there is a whole VOA section you may have to search though.

33.gif

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Yes, and I have looked at them intensively in the past... But there are many things that don't show in uoa's..Amines and organic FM's being just two of them. The point is basing an oil choice on the additives visible in a OA is making a decision with an incomplete picture of how the oil is formulated. The real test is how the oil performs and the specs it meets.

thumbsup2.gif

Best is an opinion, you would really have to spend a week sending out samples as some of the VOA results may be to old to even bother comparing as formulations are constantly changing.

Well...If you are asking about VOA, I will assume you know what each element that shows up on the VOA means. I will also assume you have something very specific you expect from/of an oil you may choose. I will also assume you have a specific purpose. I will also assume 5W-30 or 10W-30 are the only possible choices. What, exactly, do you expect from the oil?

Are you going to use the oil in a new car/pickup you just picked up from the dealer today? Are you going to use it in a car/pickup with 15,000. 50,000, 75,000, 100,000, 200,000, 300,000 miles? Do you drive 25 miles a week or 360+ miles a week?

As said, VOA's don't give you any indication of amines or organic FM. These are extremely important to me. To find out about these(short of a gas/liquid chromo) you have to look for manufacturer text that talks/brags about FM.

How often are you going to change oil? Are you content with adequate protection up to the 175,000-225,000 mile mark? Do you keep vehicles until the rest of the vehicle falls apart around the engine? Do you expect, fully expect 300,000+ miles because, like my son in law you average 1,420 miles a week?

IF I HAD to use conventional oil, and IF it HAD TO BE A 30 GRADE, and if it is a new vehicle, Valvoline conventional, 10W-30 WB, has what I would want in a VOA. If it was a vehicle with in excess of 50,000 miles, depending upon how those miles were put on the vehicle, I would use Valvoline MaxLife 10W-30(I know it is a blend but it is a GP II/GP III blend) technically a conventional.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
Well...If you are asking about VOA, I will assume you know what each element that shows up on the VOA means. I will also assume you have something very specific you expect from/of an oil you may choose. I will also assume you have a specific purpose. I will also assume 5W-30 or 10W-30 are the only possible choices. What, exactly, do you expect from the oil?

Are you going to use the oil in a new car/pickup you just picked up from the dealer today? Are you going to use it in a car/pickup with 15,000. 50,000, 75,000, 100,000, 200,000, 300,000 miles? Do you drive 25 miles a week or 360+ miles a week?

As said, VOA's don't give you any indication of amines or organic FM. These are extremely important to me. To find out about these(short of a gas/liquid chromo) you have to look for manufacturer text that talks/brags about FM.

How often are you going to change oil? Are you content with adequate protection up to the 175,000-225,000 mile mark? Do you keep vehicles until the rest of the vehicle falls apart around the engine? Do you expect, fully expect 300,000+ miles because, like my son in law you average 1,420 miles a week?

IF I HAD to use conventional oil, and IF it HAD TO BE A 30 GRADE, and if it is a new vehicle, Valvoline conventional, 10W-30 WB, has what I would want in a VOA. If it was a vehicle with in excess of 50,000 miles, depending upon how those miles were put on the vehicle, I would use Valvoline MaxLife 10W-30(I know it is a blend but it is a GP II/GP III blend) technically a conventional.

I have several vehicles in mind...but for the sake of ease in this discussion, lets say I am interested in ZDDP in an SM rated oil for a '01 4.0L Jeep SUV flat-tappet w/ 83k on it...5k OCI, 16.5k per year driven and I want 300k out of it.

I have tried Max-life...I truly wish that someone else made a syn-blend HM oil besides Valvoline...I know it has lots of moly, but the vehicle ran better on Pennzoil HM than it did on Max-life 10w30. Hope this helps...

go for a hdeo 10w30. Mystik JT-8 comes to mind as a well zinced oil(it is a syn blend though not a straight conventional.

Yes I was thinking of running Mystik but they raised the price to 4bucks a qt, and also I had wanted the HM additives for the seals since the 4.0 leaks

I don't understand the meaning that the engine ran better on Pennzoil HM 30 grade than on MaxLife 30 grade. The MaxLife is WELL within the 30 grade spread with a 100C of 11.5 and a HTHS of 3.3.

HDEO oils are going to have more ZDDP, but, they are going to have few or no FM. They are also going to have higher 100C and higher HTHS. If your engine doesn't like the relative low 100C and HTHS of MaxLife, it is not going to like the HDEO.

If you want to use a 30 grade(what does the owners manual say) I can think of nothing better than M1 10W-30 HM. If a synthetic is out, then I come back to 10W-30 MaxLife.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
I don't understand the meaning that the engine ran better on Pennzoil HM 30 grade than on MaxLife 30 grade. The MaxLife is WELL within the 30 grade spread with a 100C of 11.5 and a HTHS of 3.3.

HDEO oils are going to have more ZDDP, but, they are going to have few or no FM. They are also going to have higher 100C and higher HTHS. If your engine doesn't like the relative low 100C and HTHS of MaxLife, it is not going to like the HDEO.

If you want to use a 30 grade(what does the owners manual say) I can think of nothing better than M1 10W-30 HM. If a synthetic is out, then I come back to 10W-30 MaxLife.

I have used M1 HM in my other vehicle...I want to use a "lesser" oil for price and OCI is not enough to run full-syn. I got less MPG on Max-life & engine was more sluggish...Something made the Pennzoil "better" in my 4.0L engine?

I have a farm store here called Big R that sells it for 2.99 a qt.

Yeah, a few months ago it was 2.99 here...went back a week later and it was up to 3.99!!!

[/quote]

I have several vehicles in mind...but for the sake of ease in this discussion, lets say I am interested in ZDDP in an SM rated oil for a '01 4.0L Jeep SUV flat-tappet w/ 83k on it...5k OCI, 16.5k per year driven and I want 300k out of it.

I have tried Max-life...I truly wish that someone else made a syn-blend HM oil besides Valvoline...I know it has lots of moly, but the vehicle ran better on Pennzoil HM than it did on Max-life 10w30. Hope this helps... [/quote]

I have a 96 Zj with the 4.0l I have tried many oils in her, the most pleased to date is mobil 1 HM 10w-30, she does indeed like this flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back