What did your last front tire cost? OUCH

I wouldn't put a CT on a racing or a sport bike, it sounds like that's what you're referring to, but for touring bikes they are fine...

You messed up the quote and reply to me, so I'll reply here. Years of riding doesn't mean much to me, unless I know how you ride. I recall students in advanced riding classes I was helping to teach, who came in stating they had 30+ years of riding experience for example. At the end of the course one of those people stated they had one year of riding experience, 30 times.

You imply I have no experience riding car tire equipped bikes. I gave you an example that I do have experience riding multiple bikes with car tires. Then your argument is that they had the wrong car tire on their bikes. ALL of the car tires mounted on bikes are WRONG.

I gave you an example of a couple who paid the price for their cheapness, when their car tire became unseated and caused a crash. At least they lived to talk about it. They also were having problems with their insurance claim, when the adjuster saw the car tire mounted on their bike. I suspect their claim was ultimately denied.

Finally, you yourself acknowledge the handling is compromised with the statement that you wouldn't use a car tire on a sportbike...

Good luck.

You messed up the quote and reply to me, so I'll reply here. Years of riding doesn't mean much to me, unless I know how you ride. I recall students in advanced riding classes I was helping to teach, who came in stating they had 30+ years of riding experience for example. At the end of the course one of those people stated they had one year of riding experience, 30 times.

You imply I have no experience riding car tire equipped bikes. I gave you an example that I do have experience riding multiple bikes with car tires. Then your argument is that they had the wrong car tire on their bikes. ALL of the car tires mounted on bikes are WRONG.

I gave you an example of a couple who paid the price for their cheapness, when their car tire became unseated and caused a crash. At least they lived to talk about it. They also were having problems with their insurance claim, when the adjuster saw the car tire mounted on their bike. I suspect their claim was ultimately denied.

Finally, you yourself acknowledge the handling is compromised with the statement that you wouldn't use a car tire on a sportbike...

Good luck.
Your statement that all CTs mounted on bikes are wrong is incorrect. I stated in my post that my Gold Wing handles exactly the same with a CT as it did with a MT, but apparently you don't believe that. I have no way of knowing what was different with the bikes you rode that had CTs, but I can tell you I have not had the same experience with mine that you had. I stated my experience to show that I'm not some novice rider who doesn't know what I'm talking about. I said I wouldn't put a CT on a racing or sport bike, not because of poor handling, but because there's no need to do so. My Gold Wing eats rear tires. The original tire was shot at just 9K miles. On a bike like the GW that racks up as many miles as it does, one could go broke replacing rear MTs. There's no need to keep buying MTs for the GW that aren't going to last when a CT will perform exactly the same, and last many times longer for less money. My Superhawk still has the same rear tire installed (a MT) that it had when I bought it, with the same amount of tread left, and yes, I ride it almost daily. If MTs tires lasted as long on the GW as they do on the sport bikes, I probably would never have tried a CT. The issue with the insurance company doesn't surprise me as they will look for ANY reason to deny a claim. I have a spare stock rim and tire to put on the Wing if I have to make an insurance claim...

The issue with the insurance company doesn't surprise me as they will look for ANY reason to deny a claim. I have a spare stock rim and tire to put on the Wing if I have to make an insurance claim...

1)CT are not only wrong for handling they can also make the user personally liable in an accident... In a wrongful death suite the owner risk loosing everything...

2)Its not smart to scheme on social media the plans to out smart insurance investigators with false evidence that covers up the fact your LeadWing was running illegal CT instead of the manufacture engineered and approved MT... Read the fine print... You have to sign the claim under penalty of perjury...

1)CT are not only wrong for handling they can also make the user personally liable in an accident... In a wrongful death suite the owner risk loosing everything...

2)Its not smart to scheme on social media the plans to out smart insurance investigators with false evidence that covers up the fact your LeadWing was running illegal CT instead of the manufacture engineered and approved MT... Read the fine print... You have to sign the claim under penalty of perjury...
Not many motorcycle accidents where the MC rider causes a wrongful death...usually it's only the rider, or riders who die...I'll worry about the crooked insurance company...

My Gold Wing eats rear tires.

Manufactures warn owners of heavy touring bikes... If you wish more mileage check pressure before each days ride...

Check your owners manual for the maximum recommended pressures because that
takes into account the weight of the bike and the size of the contact patch...

Quote Metzeler:

"Many tyre damage result from incorrect inflation pressure.
Furthermore, the inflation pressure has a big influence on the riding
qualities of a motorcycle. The inflation pressure recommended by the
motorcycle manufacturer can be found in the bike's manual and is
usually written on a sticker on the rear swingarm or chainguard. Set
the suggested inflation pressure on cold tyres before riding."

Quote Bridgestone:

Always keep the motorcycle manufacturer's recommended air pressure in
both tires. This is an important requirement for tire safety and
mileage. Your motorcycle owner's manual will tell you the recommended
cold inflation pressure. On some motorcycles, the recommended front
and rear tire pressures will be different. The pressures stamped on
the sidewall of the tire are only for maximum loads. On some
occasions, these pressures will also be the manufacturers recommended
settings as well. Riding on tires with too little air pressure is
dangerous. The tires will build excessive heat. This can cause a
sudden tire failure that could lead to serious personal injury or
death.

Underinflation may also:

1. Damage the tire leading to tire failure
2. Adversely affect vehicle cornering
3. Reduce tire life
4. Increase fuel consumption
5. Fatigue cracking

Quote Michelin:

The tyre needs air to perform and to last, so it's necessary to check
inflation pressure regularly. Every tyre loses air, molecule by
molecule, because of rubber's natural porosity. Accidental causes such
as valve or rim damage often accelerate air loss, as will small cuts
in the tyre tread or sidewall. Air pressure affects every aspect of
the tyre: safety, economy and riding enjoyment. The wrong pressure can
degrade performance in all areas. Routine pressure checks can prevent
many worries.

Quote Dunlop:

CHECKING TIRE PRESSURES IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TIRE MAINTENANCE
FUNCTION YOU CAN PERFORM. For high-speed, fully loaded or dual-riding
touring motorcycle applications, inflate front tires to maximum
recommended by vehicle manufacturer for Dunlop fitment and rear tires
to maximum load inflation pressure on sidewall. Rear touring tires
must be inflated to a minimum of 36 psi for light to medium loads and
40 psi for dual riding and other loads. Never exceed maximum load
indicated on tire sidewall or vehicle capacity load found in owner's
manual. Underinflated tires can result in imprecise cornering, higher
running temperatures, irregular tread wear at the edge of the contact
patch, fatigue cracking, over stressing and eventual failure of the
tire carcass.

Your statement that all CTs mounted on bikes are wrong is incorrect. I stated in my post that my Gold Wing handles exactly the same with a CT as it did with a MT, but apparently you don't believe that. I have no way of knowing what was different with the bikes you rode that had CTs, but I can tell you I have not had the same experience with mine that you had. I stated my experience to show that I'm not some novice rider who doesn't know what I'm talking about. I said I wouldn't put a CT on a racing or sport bike, not because of poor handling, but because there's no need to do so. My Gold Wing eats rear tires. The original tire was shot at just 9K miles. On a bike like the GW that racks up as many miles as it does, one could go broke replacing rear MTs. There's no need to keep buying MTs for the GW that aren't going to last when a CT will perform exactly the same, and last many times longer for less money. My Superhawk still has the same rear tire installed (a MT) that it had when I bought it, with the same amount of tread left, and yes, I ride it almost daily. If MTs tires lasted as long on the GW as they do on the sport bikes, I probably would never have tried a CT. The issue with the insurance company doesn't surprise me as they will look for ANY reason to deny a claim. I have a spare stock rim and tire to put on the Wing if I have to make an insurance claim...

No I don't believe that, because I've ridden Goldwings with M/C tires, and car tires. The handling deficit was obvious on the car tire shod bike. The bike that crashed due to the tire coming off the bead, but the couple was fortunate to survive? A Goldwing.

But the fact that you got 9k miles out of a tire on a Goldwing, tells me you aren't even coming close to the capabilities of the bike. So maybe you'll get away with your poor tire choice.

A little something to consider while trying to save a buck...

https://www.ustires.org/sites/default/files/USTMA_TISB28.pdf

No I don't believe that, because I've ridden Goldwings with M/C tires, and car tires. The handling deficit was obvious on the car tire shod bike. The bike that crashed due to the tire coming off the bead, but the couple was fortunate to survive? A Goldwing.

But the fact that you got 9k miles out of a tire on a Goldwing, tells me you aren't even coming close to the capabilities of the bike. So maybe you'll get away with your poor tire choice.

You’re never going to convince this imbecile that he’s an imbecile. When someone cites their years of riding as an accreditation of their knowledge they should be placed firmly within the bucket of people to be ignored just like dudes in sweatpants and a t-shirt throwing Rossi leg dangles in the twisties.

$168 minus a $28 price match discount, so $140 for each DSW06 Plus in 205/50/16 W. With TPMS kit, balancing, mounting, and tax $191 per tire out the door. I didn't get only front tires but all four.

You’re never going to convince this imbecile that he’s an imbecile. When someone cites their years of riding as an accreditation of their knowledge they should be placed firmly within the bucket of people to be ignored just like dudes in sweatpants and a t-shirt throwing Rossi leg dangles in the twisties.
I will say you armchair engineers are entertaining...you guys can keep your theories, I'll stick with my experiences, though I know you guys think you're smart enough to tell me what my experiences are...

I'd be willing to bet there have been far more MT failures on bikes than there have been CT failures...

Oh, this is a motorsickle thread. I missed that on my phone but was wondering why it was about the last front tire. My apologies. Let the fighting continue.

All I know about two-wheelers is that rider weight affects tire wear quite a bit.

Last edited:

Please show where it is illegal to run a car tire on a Goldwing...

Please show where it is illegal to run a car tire on a Goldwing...

Ask your insurance agent... they might say CT??? no problem... that is until they have to pay out a claim... then its sorry client our lawyers advise its illegal to have run a unapproved CT in the first place... now you accept the risk of loosing home and property... your insurance company can not protect you... you end up being liable for all damages...

Last edited:
Ask your insurance agent... they might say CT??? no problem... that is until they have to pay out a claim... then its sorry client our lawyers advise its illegal to have run a unapproved CT in the first place... now you accept the risk of loosing home and property... your insurance company can not protect you... you end up being liable for all damages...
Nope. My policy states nothing of the sort, anymore than it states I cant use ape hangers or orange paint. And again, unapproved... Sow me where anything says its 'unapproved' for anything.

Nope. My policy states nothing of the sort, anymore than it states I cant use ape hangers or orange paint. And again, unapproved... Sow me where anything says its 'unapproved' for anything.

You're welcome to bet the farm they will not find a reason to weasel out your coverage during a wrongful death suite...

Last edited:
I will say you armchair engineers are entertaining...you guys can keep your theories, I'll stick with my experiences, though I know you guys think you're smart enough to tell me what my experiences are...

Engineering belongs to anyone who needs and wants it... even a biker can benefit from critical thinking...

I'm not a betting man, I am a facts man.

Fact...

CT and MT are not equal... advantage MT... they are lighter and work better in the bendy bits... they are engineered to deliver the maximum rider confidence... even thought MT cost more they afford more smiles per mile... two wheel travel is an indulgence in freedom of keeping our knees in the breeze...

Last edited:
Fact...

CT and MT are not equal... advantage MT... they are lighter and work better in the bendy bits... they are engineered to deliver the maximum rider confidence... even thought MT cost more they afford more smiles per mile... two wheel travel is an indulgence in freedom of keeping our knees in the breeze...
You should take a poll among the thousands who swear by CTs...I bet you'd be surprised...

Back