What could have caused this?

Yes thanks for the update. He should prob do 5k oil changes from now on with an older, high mile engine like this. Esp with cheaper timing chains in it. If it were mine I’d use MC 5w30.
I will see if he will do more frequent oil changes and maybe go up to 5W-30. He was going to sell this one when it was fixed and buy a new one but he just got laid off indefinitely from the railroad so I think he has put any large purchases on hold for now.

Your buddy dodged a bullet for sure! Thank goodness.

I wonder how many people would have let Ford install a brand new engine...
It's hard to say. With as many miles that are on the truck, I don't know if many people would. I sure wouldn't. I'm just curious in this situation, how many Ford dealers would recommend an engine replacement vs trying to do a little more research and maybe fixing the problem.

Many people on this and another forum that I posted this about said that an engine replacement was not needed and that it was some type of timing issue that could be fixed.

Reactions: JC1
if the valve events are off, the compression would be low.

Low compression on "4 of 8 cylinders"...are all 4 on bank 2?

Well, another update. Yesterday the CEL came on and truck was misfiring. This was about 600 miles after this last repair was done. He got it back today and supposedly a coil was bad and the garage replaced the coil and spark plug for that same cylinder even though the spark plugs had all been replaced in the past 6,000 miles or so. I'm not sure which cylinder the supposedly bad coil was on.

He brings it home today and it runs fine. He goes to run some errands and the CEL comes back on and the truck is running rough at idle. It runs fine at higher RPM's. He takes it back down to the shop and they put it on the scanner and now it has P0316, P0302, and a P0304 codes, all misfire related. So he has left the truck there so they can figure out what is going on now.

And the saga continues... best of luck to your buddy.
Yes it does. I did find out that the cylinder that they replaced the coil and spark plug on was cylinder 2 so now I wonder if the coil was even bad since they have a cylinder 2 misfire showing again.

Well, another update. He got the truck back today after the mechanic having it since the 2nd of September. He went ahead and installed all Motorcraft timing parts except for the cam phasers which were already Motorcraft.

The truck would jump time with him rotating the engine by hand. Apparently one of the large chains was 1/2" longer than the factory Motorcraft that he got in. Hopefully this time it's fixed for good. Time will tell.

The first time around he should have noticed the chain tensioner fully extended. If the chain was indeed that much longer

Reactions: wtd
Back