What Car for your Driver’s Exam

Number35 mentioned in another active thread what he drove while taking his state’s driver’s exam. What year, Make and Model did you drive for you exam?

1972 Fiat Spider

Renault Clio 1.9D (phase 3) owned by the driving school. I got my license in 1997 I think so the car was also, they only keep them 6 months

My Mother's 1962 Buick Electra 225 four door. And I had to parallel park that boat as part of the test!
I took my mother's 65 Buick Electra 225 - 19 feet long!

Put the top down, lol. I wasn't required to | | park, but he required a 3-point turn. Guy ask me if i had taken Drivers Ed in H.S. I said no, why? He said he would have failed me for having my left arm out the door and only one hand on the wheel. I said that's for quick hand signals in the city :) I passed.

I rather park that lux-o-liner than most new cars. I can see all four corners. Just need a big enough 'dock"
My recent 2019 VW Jetta sedan had near zero rearward visibility and tiny side mirrors.

I most always back in to spots to keep the neck limber and be on my game - and make for an easy, safe and fast exit. Gave up on switching between the mirror and camera game and now I use mainly my Fords wide angle lens and targeting. Maybe a little cheat and double check of sideview mirror if it's a tight slot.

Very similar, but my Mom's had white vinyl interior though and black carpeting. Great Gatsby's grandson!

1965 electra 225.jpg

1982 Buick Electra Limited.
Had the 4.1 liter/252 V6, which was a bit underpowered in a car of that size.
Same color and all, but Dad's had a beige vinyl top and beige interior.

1687360363783.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

1995 Nissan Sentra. It looked just like this.

There were actually two.. there was a Red 4-door and a blue 2-door (pretty sure they were both Nissan Sentras) the rounder ones. Either 1995 or 1997, 1998, 1999? Memory fuzzy.

I did the road hours in one and passed the test in the other. Back then, you were allowed to fail one thing and I think I parked waaaaaaay away from the curb to avoid touching it, or a cone - which may have been the one thing that could fail you, I forget.

It was 2000 or 2001 again I forget. NJ you needn't even need to have a picture on your driver's license if you didn't want one up until like 1999 or so. My life began late 2000. I have my original license somewhere. 3/4 profile shot for under 21 lol.

I might believe 17½ feet, but not 22. My parents' LeSabre in which I took the test was about about 18¼ feet (219").
A '62 Chevrolet (substantially the same body as 61-64 model years) was 209.6", and Fords wouldn't have been much different.
Back in those days, length of mainstream US-brand cars correlated closely with price and status. Nowadays, it seems to be height instead of length.
You are probably right, my pickup is 21 ft and it is bigger than the wagon was but to my eyes looking at those cones it seemed like their was no way that wagon was going to fit.

You are probably right, my pickup is 21 ft and it is bigger than the wagon was but to my eyes looking at those cones it seemed like their was no way that wagon was going to fit.
Even near-luxury "mid-priced" whales like the Buick Electra (as someone else mentioned above) were around 19 feet long, back in the day.

1989 Mazda 323 with a stick shift. Took the test in beautiful Framingham, Massachusetts. Turned a corner into the blinding sun and a bicyclist illegally rode in front of me in a crosswalk. Stopped in time. Parallel parked like an ace-- examiner aborted and went back to home base, guess I passed early. He didn't even care to see me shut down the car and properly secure it. Went in, they did a polaroid laminated license and chucked it on the counter, none of this "We'll mail it to your address" stuff.

The 1982 Chevy 1500 6.2L diesel that I've written about on here a few times. I had learners and school permits at 14 and had been driving large and heavy farm machinery on the roads since I was about 12, so the drivers test at 16 was a formality. We drove about 5 minutes and the lady that did my driving test said, "Oh, you're a farm kid I don't need to see anymore, just take me back to the station, you passed".

Even near-luxury "mid-priced" whales like the Buick Electra (as someone else mentioned above) were around 19 feet long, back in the day.
And it flew even with highway gearing had a special switch pitch torque converter with a high stall speed so actually ran like a 5-speed. with the converter switch to high stall. I would say the Electra 225 was MUCH nicer than the Caddy so not "near luxury". One of the three best cars I have ever owned over a half Century of ownership. Didn't like a mid Ninties Roadmaster i had for a bit - it was just a quieter, floatier Caprice. Never drove a Mid sixties Lincoln. The late Sixtie's Lincoln Town Coupe 460 C6 was the most refined luxoboat I had ever driven. My '93 Lincoln Mark viii was cool and f-a-s-t with the 4 corner air ride. but not reliable, nice motor though before OBDii and more smog tuning "detuned" it in 1995.

Last edited:
Back