What brand of spark plug

If I have to go out and buy a plug, I’ll get an NGK as a first choice. With that said, the 2 stroke Lawn Boys I’ve gotten into take a hot stubby little plug-NGK BM4A or Champion CJ14. Most of the big box stores and local hardware stores carry the Champion on the shelf, while I generally have to order and wait for the NGK at the auto parts stores.

A couple came to me with the expensive E3 plugs installed. I’d personally have a hard time spending $8+ on a copper electrode plug, but I will say that I ran one in my main mower all year this year and it started on the first pull every time(once I learned it’s choke/primer secret language).

Out of these three options of spark plugs. which do you prefer to use in your outdoor power equipment?
1. OEM
2. Champion
3. NGK
Please let’s just limit it to just these three. Thanks.
I am a past NIASE master and engine builder and mechanical engineer. Only OE champion has worked on small Briggs flathead engines for me. I have a bunch of "flaky" plugs on my work bench in an old ammo box that didn't work correctly. Unless you mow or snow-blow professionally, the O.E. plug should last the advertised life of the engine. Don't mess with the ignition if it runs well!

My HATE for NGK came with their garbage plugs that ate the steel GND electrode on Asian cars in the 90's. And their GARBAGE U.S.A. made V-power plugs that ran a step above their rated heat range (hotter) and eroded. Any engine I put them in I had to pull them out a week later due to improper operation.
What saved NGK for me was their excellent performing IR O.E. plugs when coil-on-plug became the norm.

The old Subaru and Toyota waste spark and distributor engines want O.E. blue lettering or terminal-dotted Nippon Denso plugs. Some of denso aftermaket stuff has been iffy. Bought some TT to try out on a Ford, Ranger, i had to re-work the plugs under a NIKON stereo microscope to get the geometry correct.
but the spark plug wire boots ened up being melted to the plug insulators ! More out of spec O.E. ford parts, engine made in Spain.

- Ken

Last edited:
In small engines any plug is fine except a Torch plug which is OEM in many Chinese motors. So, using OEM is not a perfect statement.

Back