What bike brand can I buy that not made in China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
So when are the experts here going to start their own domestically built bike company?

Build your own frames, wheels, tires, tubes, fasteners, handlebars, cables, pedals, and groupsets? Or at least use such components from domestic manufacturers.

I'm not saying the companies are not greedy. I'm saying if it means so much to you, and you think it can be done competitively, then put your money where your mouth is and start building bikes.

You'll create jobs, create a good product and put some of that money the "greedy" companies are pocketing in your own pockets as well as the pockets of your workers.

One can certainly talk the patriotism talk but very few are actually willing to put their money where their mouth is. A totally US-made bike would certainly cost a fair bit more to make, and would have to obviously be sold for more to make a profit. Is your average flag waver going to pony up that extra dough (particularly in this economy) to buy that "US made" bike? I somehow doubt it
frown.gif

I think you see what your average flag waver wants to buy at Wal*Mart. What bike can I get for $100 is what they want.

I think in the $500-$1000+ market is where folks are talking about here. That would include $5000+ bikes made of Carbon Fibre and unobtainium.

I think the problem is the US market for such a bike is pretty small. Maybe larger as a percentage of population in Europe. That's just an impression, no real data to support my impression.

If a company is selling to a world wide market, made in USA has a far smaller appeal, relatively speaking.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I think you see what your average flag waver wants to buy at Wal*Mart. What bike can I get for $100 is what they want.

I think in the $500-$1000+ market is where folks are talking about here. That would include $5000+ bikes made of Carbon Fibre and unobtainium.

I think the problem is the US market for such a bike is pretty small. Maybe larger as a percentage of population in Europe. That's just an impression, no real data to support my impression.

If a company is selling to a world wide market, made in USA has a far smaller appeal, relatively speaking.

Yes. You've summed it up nicely.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Is your average flag waver going to pony up that extra dough (particularly in this economy) to buy that "US made" bike? I somehow doubt it
frown.gif

I DID, for the frame at least (Merlin Road), and would have for components/gruppo, except that they did not exist at the time (STILL don't, as even the U.S. based SRAM does not make ANYTHING here, sadly enough
frown.gif
).
But of course, I am in the vast minority of this country's consumers.

I went with a Campy Record Carbon gruppo, as I've ALWAYS loved their products' form AND functionality over the fishing reel company
lol.gif
(for the 40+ years I've been seriously racing/riding), AND because I cannot see handing my money over to Japan which I consider a MUCH bigger trade/economic threat to U.S. than Italy is or ever will be capable of being.

there are LOTS of domestically produced bicycles; just not MASS-produced.
environmental regulations (welding, waste, paint, etc) are a challenge, as is the major labor involved in making a frame. these things make it difficult to make a bicycle in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back