What Battery for Milwaukee Fuel M12?

Just got this great gift for my birthday. Milwaukee Fuel M12 3453-20. Now I need to get a battery and a charger. I see Milwaukee has
so many battery choices. M12 RedLithium XC, 3.0, HIgh Capacity, 4.0, etc. And I need a charger. Gonna stay with Milwaukee brand.
Any suggestions?

Also, I'm gonna be using this on my cars. What set of drivers should I get?

I would recommend something like this

its unfortunate it was a gift because Homedepot has the kit with bag, charger and 2 batteries for 30$ more than bare tool.

With M12, you really want the max in each config: if you can live with the larger "XC" then 6.0. For compact, 3.0

With M12, you really want the max in each config: if you can live with the larger "XC" then 6.0. For compact, 3.0
So I want to keep it small. Go with the 3.0, correct?
I would recommend something like this

its unfortunate it was a gift because Homedepot has the kit with bag, charger and 2 batteries for 30$ more than bare tool.
Fiddlesticks!

So I want to keep it small. Go with the 3.0, correct?

Fiddlesticks!
Yep but make sure you're getting the compact form factor. The original XC's were 3.0 and are still sold.

Also I forgot they now offer a 2.5 compact and 5.0 XC which are supposed to be "better." You'd have to read the marketing on that -- I don't own any.

I’ll make a trip to Home Depot. I need a visual. I never realized picking out a battery could be so complicated. LOL

Or get another tool that includes the battery and charger. Those are great little tools. I really like the 1/4 inch battery ratchet for working on automotive and aircraft interiors.
I do have $100 of birthday money. ;) Heading to Home Depot this morning.

Or get another tool that includes the battery and charger. Those are great little tools. I really like the 1/4 inch battery ratchet for working on automotive and aircraft interiors.
The 1/4" Fuel High Speed save me so much time on our P&WC and Turbomeca engines.

Nozzles take half the time.

Home Depot is about the worst place to buy M12 batteries. Their pricing structure is a marketing genius on display. I've seen 2.0 M12 batteries there, singles, for $45, two for $69.

I'd advise you to search around for the growing "stock clearance" stores that buy pallets of returns, opened packages, etc., from Big Box retailers. There's a few around me. One sells a TON of cordless tools, about 4,000 sf of their store is cordless tools from the major players. They have tools, batteries and chargers.

I buy M12 2.5 batteries there, new, never used/touched, for $20. The 3.0 is $30. These are not in a package and the store offers a 30 day warranty.

Home Depot can be good if you watch for their buy this, get this free deals. They pro-rate each item on the receipt then you can return whichever item you don't want.

Some claim moral qualms around this but they've been doing it for years, so they know what's up. They just want to get you in the door and they want to show high sales of Milwaukee overall. They're hoping most people just keep ALL the items they've purchased, and I bet they do.

I personally don't feel the least bit bad about it. Their point-of-sale system knowingly allows it and I never even open or disturb the packaging of the item I'm returning

As for kits, very few -- esp in M12 -- include the flagship 3.0/6.0. They'll often throw in the XC 4.0 and tout it as a good deal, but in drills or even the underhood light you can REALLY tell a difference in run time from 4.0 to 6.0

Look on Home Depot website. Often when you buy 2 batteries in a package you get a better price per battery. Sometimes two larger batteries costs less if it is on sale.

I have not had good luck with aftermarket batteries. Have yet to replace any Milwaukee brand M18 battery I have. Have not had M12 very long.

If you're not in a hurry, you can find some pretty good deals on the 4-pks periodically. If I was in the market for a M12 battery, I would be looking at their new 2.5 and 5.0.

Reactions: D60
This is a smokin’ deal:

B1G1 5.0 for $99

What is the 3453? That may make a difference. If it’s a light or an electric rat het? Imo the square bottom m12 are too bulky. For other tools the square bottom ones will source more current and add to stability when putting them down.

What is the 3453? That may make a difference. If it’s a light or an electric rat het? Imo the square bottom m12 are too bulky. For other tools the square bottom ones will source more current and add to stability when putting them down.
1/4" hex impact driver.

I actually prefer XC's on my 1/4" drivers, but I'm often sinking lots of longer screws for crude shipping crates and skids. I just need max power and run time

Back