What are you working on today?

service day for my personal ride
details in sig.
Oil change moving to HPL
Transmission pan drop, clean, change pan filter, change external filter and flush a gallon of old fluid through the cooler line.

IMG_6692.jpeg

I rented a hoist at U Wrench in Calgary ( this U-Wrench is independent). I put the Burb up on the hoist at $ 39 CDN per hour. We dropped the oil pan in a 3/4 ton Chevy 4 x 4 and changed out the pesky O-ring between the oil pickup tube and the body of the oil pump. We had to drop the front diff several inches to allow the pan to come out. Since the new O-ring got installed, the 6.0 engine oil pressure immediately climbs to 40 psi upon startup. The job took 5-1/2 hrs including unloading tools and having Timmies sandwiches pre-purchased for lunch. Pics to follow.

Last edited:
I rented a hoist at U Wrench in Calgary ( this U-Wrench is independent). I put the Burb up on the hoist at $ 39 CDN per hour. We dropped the oil pan in a 3/4 ton Chevy 4 x 4 and changed out the pesky O ring between the oil pickup tube and the body of the oil pump. We had to drop the front diff several inches to allow the pan to come out. The 6.0 engine immediately climbs to 40 psi upon startup. The job took 5-1/2 hrs including unloading tools and have Timmies sandwiches pre-purchased for lunch. Pics to follow.

Oh hey, I'm moving to Calgary in June.

Do you ever get used to the cold?

Oh hey, I'm moving to Calgary in June.

Do you ever get used to the cold?
Nope. Calgary is booming right now. Construction everywhere. Folks who can't afford Vancouver and Toronto are pouring into Calgary. The Transmountain pipeline expansion will start shipping more oil soon, increasing Alberta oil production by 10% resulting in higher royalties. Next year the NGL plant on the west coast will start shipping natural gas. Alberta is the land of the free in Canada. :D

Last edited:
I’m across the state and working on my Grand Caravan (loaned to my brother). Wiper motor died during the recent rain so I ordered up a new motor and linkage assembly from NAPA.

Only one 10mm bolt holds the assembly, along with rubber bushings in steel slots. It was a 5 minute job and I was able to realign the wipers ( they were off a bit ). Now the wipers are where they should be and run silently. 😁

I’ll stash the old linkage with a salvage yard motor he got as a just in case for the other Chrysler minivans we have.

I rented a hoist at U Wrench in Calgary ( this U-Wrench is independent). I put the Burb up on the hoist at $ 39 CDN per hour. We dropped the oil pan in a 3/4 ton Chevy 4 x 4 and changed out the pesky O-ring between the oil pickup tube and the body of the oil pump. We had to drop the front diff several inches to allow the pan to come out. Since the new O-ring got installed, the 6.0 engine oil pressure immediately climbs to 40 psi upon startup. The job took 5-1/2 hrs including unloading tools and having Timmies sandwiches pre-purchased for lunch. Pics to follow.
It never occurred to me that there are places you can rent lift time at. I'd be all over that for certain types of work! I think there are some jobs where it would be cheaper for me to drive the 12 hours there to do a job on a rented lift than to have a local shop do it.....

Tonight I played around with my Harbor Freight manual tire changer and the duck head kit some more. After dismounting and remounting a half dozen tires with it, I think I've finally got the hang of it. I even dismounted some 20 year old LT snow tires from my F-250 that were pretty stiff without too much trouble. The trick with breaking the bead on the stubborn ones is to use steady pressure and wait instead of trying to force them off all at once. If they don't go, hold the pressure for a while then rotate it a bit and try again. By the time you get it all the way around, it eventually breaks loose.

Wednesday I cleaned up around the house, dusting and vacuuming, laundry. Thursday I didn't do much of anything. Yesterday a neighbor brought over their grandfather's 2006 Chevrolet Impala for some work. Ended up replacing both front CV axles, right front wheel hub, and the motor mount that connects the oil pan to the cradle assembly, changed oil.

Nothing....Today is Thunder over Louisville.... Big air show this afternoon followed by a huge fireworks show along the ohio river tonight....Weather looks cool but mostly clear skies and NO rain....

Quick and simple upgrade on the Kia... Solid shifter bushings.
Here are the factory ones I removed.
IMG_4691.jpeg

Phenomenal engagement through the shifter with out that "rubbery" feeling now. Little details count, and to be able to physically feel the engine RPMS via the shifter.. 👍

Ooh, nice! I see you chose the Turf Ripper 2000's. ;)
I have to say a bunch of good things about these tires.

Holy heck are they GREAT.
1) They dig in, sure but ended up much much less damaging than 6 foot long brown skid marks
2) I shaved off a bunch of mow time
3) They ride better even, take up a lot of shock in the backbone and kidneys
4) I side mowed the septic mound. Huge win. Safety in grip! I used to go up and over, spin and up - over.....
5) Any mud/dirt fell right out of the cleats
6) $110 for the pair. Easily worth it - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLFGXRM?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It never occurred to me that there are places you can rent lift time at. I'd be all over that for certain types of work! I think there are some jobs where it would be cheaper for me to drive the 12 hours there to do a job on a rented lift than to have a local shop do it.....
I drove four hours to get access to the shop. It’s first come first serve but there is about 5 hoists but only two are for trucks. Generally most jobs are oil or tire changes so the hoists are available every hour or two. I had mine for over five hours. You need to be there by 8:30 to get first dibs on a weekday. Probably 8:00 to make sure you’re first in on a weekend. They also have stuff like a pole jack to hold the diff up, and will rent you an acetylene torch and other stuff. Lots of extension cords and trouble lights. There is licensed mechanic there who works on cars and will help you if you are stymied. He charges $80 per hour. Friendly, understanding staff. If you can’t finish your job by 5:00 PM you can leave it over night.

Www.u-Wrench.ca

Back