Need all 98hp out of this beast 😤
Gotta stress that CVT 😎
View attachment 215474
Cleaned the MAF, throttle body cleaning TBD
Out came the factory plugs, in went new of the same
View attachment 215475
Those don't look great for 67,000 miles 🤔
View attachment 215476
While installing the dashcam, I noticed blinking green/red lights under the dash 🕵️
Further investigation 🧐
View attachment 215478
View attachment 215477
Had to remove and split the fuse box
Had me punching air 😲🤬
View attachment 215479
Removed this GPS tracker with loan shark payment reminder chirp (current owners bought car outright)
I suspect this car has been on a BHPH lot once or twice in its life 😔
View attachment 215480

Aired up the flat spare, observed the missing wheel wrench, incorrect Ford floor mats, missing cowl corner piece
Cleaned the battery terminals, had it tested
Tire pressures all over the place
Standard used car checkover
On the future shopping list 🫡

I'll probably service the CVT in the fall
Dad’s 2013 Sparks plugs looked better than that at 144k. He always fills up at Walmart.. they must of got gas at the worse corner store they could find!

Tried to chop roots around the recently cut crepe Myrtle stump - got all I could but the stump wouldn’t budge. Hooked it up to the tow hitch and 4 low and it simply didn’t budge. I romped on it a couple of times and it held firm. Guess I’ll try to just cut it down a little lower and plant the replacement shrub immediately next to it. I don’t like this kind of defeat but you get that “goal” going in your head and sometimes it’s hard to let go of.

Ground down some fasteners for the guys at work needing a custom solution for a 100 pin cable that has a very odd connector on the end.

Printing a headlamp mount for my CERT helmet

1713831515961.jpeg

I had planned on relaxing since I have a 4 day weekend for my birthday tomorrow but dad also didn’t have a load to do today which ruined my relaxing plans and I had to work on his truck lights. He has to pick up a load tomorrow though which will only take a few hours then when he gets back we are going to the antique store and grilling steaks because it’s my birthday.

Posted my reply in the wrong thread. Ended up printing a different mount, works perfect! Its nearly identical the OEM headlamp bracket, so now I don't have to give it up and "waste" a headlamp

1713840747975.jpeg

1713840756196.jpeg

1713840761974.jpeg

1713840766468.jpeg

Headlamp itself is a KILLER deal, Sofrin D25L for $25. Takes a single 18650 and has USB-C Charging on-board

It's not bad. I keep buying this kit that needs the knurled section of the roller pin turned down -- it's like 20 thou oversize and just won't fit. But since I have a lathe, I guess I like abuse. I'm wondering if some model years used a different diameter here and it's not just Chinese QCView attachment 215453

However it's better to do the repair sooner than later. Ideally you want to catch it before the bushings deteriorate 100% and then you start wallowing the steel. This is a good state in which to catch it:View attachment 215454
I have read that a good place to get replacement pins is Cunningham machine. The door on one of our trucks sags a little bit so I'm sure there is some damage. Thanks for the info.

I had planned on relaxing since I have a 4 day weekend for my birthday tomorrow but dad also didn’t have a load to do today which ruined my relaxing plans and I had to work on his truck lights. He has to pick up a load tomorrow though which will only take a few hours then when he gets back we are going to the antique store and grilling steaks because it’s my birthday.
Happy Birthday!

I also enjoy a nice grilled steak on my birthday, doesn't get any better than that.

I have read that a good place to get replacement pins is Cunningham machine. The door on one of our trucks sags a little bit so I'm sure there is some damage. Thanks for the info.
Never heard of Cunningham Machine -- I'll need to check it out. Sagging is normal. ANY slop in the bushing will translate to sag. If it's not a lot of sag (subjective and vague, I know), you're ok.

Also the cheap kit I keep buying appears to have ferrous bushings. Not sure exactly what they are TBH, but the bronze aftermarket bushings tend to be REALLY brittle so honestly I'd rather see ferrous and let it wear a little more quickly from friction, rather than cheap bronze that will crack and fall out.

If OEM was still available, obviously that's a high quality non-ferrous something, but I'm only ASSuming OEM is NLA or cost prohibitive relative to the value of most GMT400s today.

Be sure you have the Steck door spring tool. There's also a Z-shaped stepped bushing driver which is really nice. There's also a Z-shaped chisel/driver which is absolutely useless-- don't waste your $, but it's not that expensive if you do

Thanks for the information. The Cunningham Machine parts are not too bad on price and are supposedly the best you can get. The driver's door on my 98 K3500 only sags slightly so I'm probably good. The passenger door is still fine. The driver's side door on our 97 GMC farm truck also sags slightly. Both doors on my 98 K1500 are still good but I bought it new and have always lubed the hinges on a regular basis which has probably helped.
I have a door spring tool but it's a cheap one and I have not tried it on these truck springs. CM sells a bushing driver which is not expensive as well as a spring tool.

Thanks for the information. The Cunningham Machine parts are not too bad on price and are supposedly the best you can get. The driver's door on my 98 K3500 only sags slightly so I'm probably good. The passenger door is still fine. The driver's side door on our 97 GMC farm truck also sags slightly. Both doors on my 98 K1500 are still good but I bought it new and have always lubed the hinges on a regular basis which has probably helped.
I have a door spring tool but it's a cheap one and I have not tried it on these truck springs. CM sells a bushing driver which is not expensive as well as a spring tool.
Awesome looking stuff there! Thanks for the resource.

I see they sell a bushing install "press" (and it's only $10), but I just use a socket and 5/16‐18 bolt.
20240418_133144.jpg

Reactions: D60
Started putting Kilmat in the RV cab. I might of bought too much. You get a lot for $60. Told the wife she might even be able to hear herself snore now!
IMG_2797.jpeg

Last edited:
What filter and gasket did you use for the transmission?
Customer supplied a Wix. I don't remember the part number. The filter fit but the gasket was wrong. Fortunately the transmission had a steel impregnated silicone reusable gasket so I reused it.

Yesterday

2004 Ford Ranger
3.0 V6
Replaced radiator, radiator hoses, heater hoses, thermostat heater control valve, flushed block and heater core, changed oil. After that I mowed grass.

Back