What are you working on today?

View attachment 100184
View attachment 100185

Washed the A/C condensers on the xB and Camry

Once my wheel bearing bolts come in at the dealer, I'd like to put my Camry back together and drive it again

It's been on jackstands on my driveway for 3+ weeks now šŸ˜”

I'm still cranky about that wheel bearing, but I warrantied the other side

So they'll both be new at the same time, it'll be an experiment on longevity/durability

Driver's side gets the NTN/BCA Koyo Japan made unit, Passenger side is getting a SKF China made unit
Iā€™ve never actually washed a condenser like that.

What product did you use?

Mostly just trained new people on how to use the alignment machine. Iā€™m kind of like the tech that trains everyone because I have the most patience lol. Also drained and refilled and resealed the rear differential on a 1996 Chevy truck. They give the old stuff to me unless itā€™s something stupid like a huge truck or something I just wonā€™t work on. Then I got to test drive it. And while I was gone coworker snapped my extension lol. This is one time where I would of used a chrome extension strictly because itā€™s not as soft as impact ones. He broke it with a 3/8 breaker bar trying to get lug nuts off a Jeep that the customer didnā€™t have the key for anymore and they had to be thin wall so he was using my stuff because for some reason he put it in my bay. Iā€™m not mad but next time when it starts to flex or twistā€¦STOP. Lol. View attachment 100706
Blake: I have a simple motto for deadbeats that ā€œborrowā€ tools. Itā€™s called ā€œborrow it once, next time they buy their ownā€. I always lock my toolbox at end of every day and there are cameras in our shop.

Iā€™ve never actually washed a condenser like that.

What product did you use?
I used this one, but you don't necessarily need no rinse capabilities, as your out under the hood where you can rinse thoroughly with a hose
Frost King ACF19 Foam Coil Cleaner, 19Oz, 19 Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007I7KZN0/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_GMNEY3AEEEN17AZ66586
It's a common service in the residential/commerical HVAC industry, I've just carried it over to a car
By no means a new idea though
And if your like me, charging/topping off with a gauge set, having proper airflow on both condenser/evaporator is very important

For evaporator cleaning, I use a chemical kit from my Toyota parts counter, but others are available

When I'm presented a car with poor A/C performance, but basic functionality is present
Putting the gauge set on and adding charge is the LAST step
Air flow, filters, cleaning, EATC self test, blend doors all get checked first
It's a method that hasn't steered me wrong yet, and prevents misdiagnosis
I get physically disturbed when someone reaches for the AC Pro in Advance Auto šŸ˜”

I used this one, but you don't necessarily need no rinse capabilities, as your out under the hood where you can rinse thoroughly with a hose
Frost King ACF19 Foam Coil Cleaner, 19Oz, 19 Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007I7KZN0/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_GMNEY3AEEEN17AZ66586
It's a common service in the residential/commerical HVAC industry, I've just carried it over to a car
By no means a new idea though
And if your like me, charging/topping off with a gauge set, having proper airflow on both condenser/evaporator is very important

For evaporator cleaning, I use a chemical kit from my Toyota parts counter, but others are available

Thank you very much!

I celebrated for my friend who just bought a 65 corvette with minimal rust, garaged and ignored after a divorce. She stopped driving it after what sounds like an alternator failure. My buddy offered a fair price and didnā€™t try to take advantage. After an afternoon to consider, she accepted. we are trying to set a play date after he gets it towed over.

i bought 2 sheets of birch veneered plywood which will hopefully look like a bathroom vanity in 8 weeks, and started the frame cuts tonight.

Helped my sis and the brother in-law today. Swapped out 5 lite fixtures, replaced a smart switch with a decora paddle switch and hung a 4ft led shop lite over their garage freezer.

I done lots of tires today. Which sucks but itā€™s work. I hate doing tires itā€™s very boring. But at least the vehicle I was working on surprisingly didnā€™t have TPMS sensors and it was a 2019 I was really surprised. Done an alignment as well. Also had to move two cars from the service lane to the customer parking lot as none of the porters on duty today could drive stick shift. We have had a lot of close calls with porters not being able to drive them lately so since service advisors are typically busy they call us to get them. I also had to go pick up two stick shift cars from our wholesale area as well and move them to the lot because none of them guys can drive them either. Itā€™s a darn shame. They get me to do it because Iā€™m the only one who doesnā€™t get snippy about it when asked to do it even if I am in the middle of something. I ainā€™t never seen so many techs though that couldnā€™t drive it. Everyday people like porters I kind of expect but mechanics? All them new guys they keep hiring canā€™t drive them then want to try and learn on customer cars.

They also had a meeting with all the techs today telling the used car techs that they have to start doing customer cars now as there is expected to be a major shortage of used cars in the upcoming months so that means we have to split our work with them if we want to keep our jobs. They said this is going to be the biggest shortage of used cars ever. We are one of the largest dealers on the east coast and you know if we are hearing that then itā€™s not good. But we are all hourly anyway so Iā€™m not going to complain Iā€™m just thankful to be working I seen this coming kind of like it did before. The used car techs arenā€™t happy about it but at least they still get to do something instead of just being told they donā€™t have a job. So that probably means that I will continue being the trainer tech meaning I work with the new guys and develop them and then suggest where their next move should be. Still working on Subaru too. Thatā€™s primarily what I work on with the new guys too or just whatever comes in.

I done lots of tires today. Which sucks but itā€™s work. I hate doing tires itā€™s very boring. But at least the vehicle I was working on surprisingly didnā€™t have TPMS sensors and it was a 2019 I was really surprised. Done an alignment as well. Also had to move two cars from the service lane to the customer parking lot as none of the porters on duty today could drive stick shift. We have had a lot of close calls with porters not being able to drive them lately so since service advisors are typically busy they call us to get them. I also had to go pick up two stick shift cars from our wholesale area as well and move them to the lot because none of them guys can drive them either. Itā€™s a darn shame. They get me to do it because Iā€™m the only one who doesnā€™t get snippy about it when asked to do it even if I am in the middle of something. I ainā€™t never seen so many techs though that couldnā€™t drive it. Everyday people like porters I kind of expect but mechanics? All them new guys they keep hiring canā€™t drive them then want to try and learn on customer cars.

They also had a meeting with all the techs today telling the used car techs that they have to start doing customer cars now as there is expected to be a major shortage of used cars in the upcoming months so that means we have to split our work with them if we want to keep our jobs. They said this is going to be the biggest shortage of used cars ever. We are one of the largest dealers on the east coast and you know if we are hearing that then itā€™s not good. But we are all hourly anyway so Iā€™m not going to complain Iā€™m just thankful to be working I seen this coming kind of like it did before. The used car techs arenā€™t happy about it but at least they still get to do something instead of just being told they donā€™t have a job. So that probably means that I will continue being the trainer tech meaning I work with the new guys and develop them and then suggest where their next move should be. Still working on Subaru too. Thatā€™s primarily what I work on with the new guys too or just whatever comes in.
Simple piece of advice: stop your whining about doing tires. When customers give you tips like they do for me and other techs you will be quiet and gain wisdom.

Iā€™m so sick of you whining about doing tires. He GLAD you have a job and bankers hours. I donā€™t

Sorry to vent on you but at my work; your whining would get you canned

Simple piece of advice: stop your whining about doing tires. When customers give you tips like they do for me and other techs you will be quiet and gain wisdom.

Iā€™m so sick of you whining about doing tires. He GLAD you have a job and bankers hours. I donā€™t

Sorry to vent on you but at my work; your whining would get you canned
Haha. It wasnā€™t a customer car unfortunately so no tips. Really at my work the only thing that they will fire you for is if you get snippy or back talk a customer thatā€™s automatic termination no matter what the initiation was or anything like that. I donā€™t show any emotions about it at work I just am like man I hate this. They are just boring I have no interest in tires. I understand itā€™s easy money but give it to the new guys I want to do engine work and stuff.

I am curious though do you guys have the newer style tire machines or the older style where you have to use the spoon? We have both and I love the new style machine because it makes the job so much easier and faster. I had never seen one of the newer ones till I started this job.

Haha. It wasnā€™t a customer car unfortunately so no tips. Really at my work the only thing that they will fire you for is if you get snippy or back talk a customer thatā€™s automatic termination no matter what the initiation was or anything like that. I donā€™t show any emotions about it at work I just am like man I hate this. They are just boring I have no interest in tires. I understand itā€™s easy money but give it to the new guys I want to do engine work and stuff.

I am curious though do you guys have the newer style tire machines or the older style where you have to use the spoon? We have both and I love the new style machine because it makes the job so much easier and faster. I had never seen one of the newer ones till I started this job.
We have the newest Hunter machine. Donā€™t know what the ā€œspoonā€ thing is. At my work, if that one tech that couldnā€™t remove a lugnut; heā€™d be fired especially after breaking a techs tool. Our company would say safety first. Our company like many auto places have a massive shortage, so this is nothing new.

In no particular order
2011 Sonata 2.4
Oil change (oil looked like bulk 5w20 mixed with Diesel, and inferior Ecoguard oil filter)
In went PP 5w30 and a Hyundai OEM filter
Seems a little quieter šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Since it had a short block failure 5 years ago, it got the red dipstick with the revised 5.29qt capacity
Which I suspect I'm the only person that follows šŸ¤Ø
DD 2006 Camry
It's A/C season, which means a refresher kit and fresh cabin filter
PXL_20220521_215452849.jpg

So in the past week I've
Washed the condenser
Refreshed the evaporator
Replaced the cabin filter
Seems pretty cold in today's 97Ā° humidity šŸ„¶
Now, should I be unhappy with performance, I can put the gauge set on and top off accurately
Instead of buying the can of AC Pro that I beef with šŸ˜”
I'd outlaw it if I had a say šŸ™„

In no particular order
2011 Sonata 2.4
Oil change (oil looked like bulk 5w20 mixed with Diesel, and inferior Ecoguard oil filter)
In went PP 5w30 and a Hyundai OEM filter
Seems a little quieter šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Since it had a short block failure 5 years ago, it got the red dipstick with the revised 5.29qt capacity
Which I suspect I'm the only person that follows šŸ¤Ø
DD 2006 Camry
It's A/C season, which means a refresher kit and fresh cabin filter
View attachment 100901
So in the past week I've
Washed the condenser
Refreshed the evaporator
Replaced the cabin filter
Seems pretty cold in today's 97Ā° humidity šŸ„¶
Now, should I be unhappy with performance, I can put the gauge set on and top off accurately
Instead of buying the can of AC Pro that I beef with šŸ˜”
I'd outlaw it if I had a say šŸ™„
Does the foam can has a long needle hose that reaches all the way to the evaporator or just fills it w/ foam???

New ground straps on the X3. Pretty common need on BMWs. Crusty, crackly, corroded, OEM replaced with NAPA generic a size thicker.
Started getting the click, click, click/start. I wonder how many people replace BMW starters that just need new ground straps?

20220521_200148.jpg

Narrowed and lengthed a headache rack that had been on an OBS Ford short bed (I was told) to fit a GMT400 long bed.

20220521_224537.jpg

Added about 15" to the rear. I know it's a little ghetto to leave the existing raised round bar rail but this is all volunteer labor for my non-profit so I gotta pick my battles. It will get a rattle can paint job before I send it out.

Finished up the engine build.. put about 45 miles on it. Itā€™s an absolute animal and a blast to drive. It has a ā€œstreetā€ tune on it currently (have a tow, street, sport, and performance) for break in and once broken in the owner can do what he pleases. No issues to speak of this point, with no leaks thus far. Iā€™ll keep it for a couple of days to road test it further.

Attachments

• AD932922-C516-4FBC-A242-2FBA3C584E33.jpeg
    AD932922-C516-4FBC-A242-2FBA3C584E33.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 23FD8DA7-8E38-4E7B-A905-BEDE42111F9E.jpeg
    23FD8DA7-8E38-4E7B-A905-BEDE42111F9E.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 1EEC331F-C2CE-4669-A5B7-D0DA13ACB5B2.jpeg
    1EEC331F-C2CE-4669-A5B7-D0DA13ACB5B2.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 19
Pad slap on the TL. Pretty much the easiest job one can do. The Brembo's on the front can be done without taking anything other than 2 pins out.

Centric 300. series pads front, 103 series rear. And a fluid flush with Valvoline fluid.

Fronts were on the wear indicator, so it was well past the time I usually change them.

Back