What are you working on today?

New pads and rotors all the way around on the Talon. The old pads had well over half their life left, but were warped and any little bit of heat they vibrated. I don't need that living up here in the mountains. Got Raybestos coated rears and their "street performance" fronts with Element 3 hybrid pads all the way around.

One of the rear rotors put up a fight and was seized to the hub...

NLAeS0h.jpg

Little bit of penetrant and Mr. Blue Point air hammer and it was off!

CV9RMFw.jpg

Rears done

5puEfji.jpg

The front passenger side rotor also put up a fight, but several whacks from behind and it was free. At this point I was a little frustrated, so only a picture of the final product.

PhkbZ5j.jpg

Unfortunately since the tires are dry rotten and one blew the belt I couldn't drive it but through the neighborhood so no brake bedding yet, but it does appear to stop better!

New pads and rotors all the way around on the Talon. The old pads had well over half their life left, but were warped and any little bit of heat they vibrated. I don't need that living up here in the mountains. Got Raybestos coated rears and their "street performance" fronts with Element 3 hybrid pads all the way around.

One of the rear rotors put up a fight and was seized to the hub...

NLAeS0h.jpg

Little bit of penetrant and Mr. Blue Point air hammer and it was off!

CV9RMFw.jpg

Rears done

5puEfji.jpg

The front passenger side rotor also put up a fight, but several whacks from behind and it was free. At this point I was a little frustrated, so only a picture of the final product.

PhkbZ5j.jpg

Unfortunately since the tires are dry rotten and one blew the belt I couldn't drive it but through the neighborhood so no brake bedding yet, but it does appear to stop better!
Adam: where you get the rotors and pads from? Nice write up also 🍺🇺🇸🇨🇦

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 3
Adam: where you get the rotors and pads from? Nice write up also 🍺🇺🇸🇨🇦

Got everything I needed off Rock Auto. Everything was shipped to my door was $135! Rotors alone for the front at Advance was $53 a piece and they weren't even coated. Hopefully these will hold up. More than likely I'll flip the car in 6-8 months, so may never know.

Got everything I needed off Rock Auto. Everything was shipped to my door was $135! Rotors alone for the front at Advance was $53 a piece and they weren't even coated. Hopefully these will hold up. More than likely I'll flip the car in 6-8 months, so may never know.
Dang! I should let my brother know. He might buy that car from you

Today's maintenance routine. I need to put together a new addition to the tool collection. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DY9HBAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This should make tire rotations on my trucks a lot easier. I was struggling with rotations lifting 100lb tires on studs in a awkward position. So we will see how this works. Plan:

1. Remove tires and clean the barrel of rims, apply sealant. This is done every 5000 miles.
2. Rotate tires front to back, passenger to driver rear and rear straight forward. Torque to 85ft lbs. Before doing this inspect brakes and apply Fluid Film as needed.
3. Oil change and new filter. Using Wix 51348 and Mobil 1 5w30.
4. Fill tires with correct air pressure.
5. Sweat profusely thinking about the mini split.

This is on the 2014 Tacoma which has 110,000 miles now.
Washed lady friends lime green Kia Soul. That color tends not to show dirt very bad , thankfully.

Adding retractable seat belts to the older Land Rover, replacing the updated fixed belts I installed a decade or so ago. Finally got tired enough of the belts getting caught in the door and adjusting the right side for various passengers.

The challenge is placing the retractor. Many of the original brackets are NLA and this truck never appears to have had retractors. I think I have settled on placing them high on the bulkhead in back of the seats using 4" square doublers to spread the load. These will be on the front w/ a 'Z' bracket on the back mounting the retractor. Four 1/4" bolts will locate the plate plus the 7/16" for the bracket. The bulkhead is not that thick but should be adequate w/ the plate and three other mounting points.

IMG_5973[18523].jpg

I'm working on wiring up an old camper - it was built in 77 and the non-functional 120 to 12v transformer thingy it came with was scary. Smelled burnt and had melted potting running out from between the laminations. Of course nothing is labeled. In it's place is going a modern WFCO converter/charger.

Last edited:
Repaired an oil pan from an FMX, some jackwagon severely overtorqued the pan bolts and damaged the flange, fluid was pouring out all around. New replacement pans have not been available for decades.

FF7B842A-E1BD-434B-B21F-920A7D6705AF.jpeg

Stripped it and hit it with some Corporate Blue when I was finished; the paint was pretty chewed up when I was done beating on it. Goes back on the car in the morning with some fresh Type F ATF.

Repaired an oil pan from an FMX, some jackwagon severely overtorqued the pan bolts and damaged the flange, fluid was pouring out all around. New replacement pans have not been available for decades.

View attachment 54698

Stripped it and hit it with some Corporate Blue when I was finished; the paint was pretty chewed up when I was done beating on it. Goes back on the car in the morning with some fresh Type F ATF.
Wonderful color you chose. 🙂

I was laaaaaame today.

I got rained in again. 🌧

Soooooo, picked up tools and cleaned, vacuumed, inside and out an LG steam washer 15+ years old. Fixed up the baffles so she wasn't toothless any more.

Ran the lint eater up through the vent all the way to the roof after clearing out and finding a new filter for the Craftsman shop vacuum. Rewired the 2-phase 240v and pigtail into the washer.

Tested, ran a steam cycle... All said and done, all safties, interlocks, pyrometer(s) and hydrometer sensors work.

Ugh, I get so domestic when the weather is bad. :(

Newsflash:

Found out that my K&N FIPK is a knock off today. I serviced it with a double wash of the K&N detergent. Got all of the pollen and dirt out. But the red color remained. It's dyed gauze. The only black spots remaining are where beetle bodies wedged in and died.

I didn't purchase and install it, my ride came with it. (Used dealer lot) After a double soak and clean with a Filter charger kit, I washed it a third time with PurplePower... the red dye persisted.⚠️

It's clean and drying, and will hit it with real K&N oil afterwards; but I'll keep it. Why?

Despite others reporting dirty intakes and butterflies... it's kept the entire intake tract spotless. After oil and install, I'll monitor and report back, but I'm not going to change what isn't broken.

If broken, I have a local and very reasonable dealer that can get me the original airbox and Delco filter paper cartridge kit and will gladly do that.
20210421_195433.jpg

Oil and filter change with ST 5w-20 FS high mileage with ST 10k mile filter and 3x3 drain and fill with Honda DW-1 2004 Acura TL.

03 Civic EX

Put in a new PCV valve and two new O2 sensors. All were original with 160438 miles. Took the car for a test drive and idle was noticeably smoother and overall the car drove smoother. Win.

Attempting to pull the heads off off my 04 Avalanche to send them off to be worked. I have no idea what I’m doing but I’m having fun doing it. Got exhaust manifold free and pulled valve covers off to this point. I’ll start pulling intake off tomorrow I hope or at least clear a path to get to it. Changed oil and filter on my mower today before the rain started.

Back