What are you working on today?

1989 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6
Replaced water pump, belt idler pulley, belt tensioner and serpentine belt, changed oil

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3 Vortec V8
Replaced radiator and heater hoses, changed oil.

2005 Honda CRV passenger balljoint

2014 Toyota RAV4 air filter and cabin air filter.

PXL_20240521_003924888~2.jpg

Swapped the battery in my mom’s 2008 Silverado.

She hasn’t been using it and left a dashcam plugged in, which killed the AC Delco I had in it. Totally flat.

I pulled the seven (!) bolts needed to get the battery out and swapped in an extra NAPA Group 48 I had sitting in the garage. It had a charge and despite being 4 years old, it will do for now. I put the mostly dead AC Delco on my charger to see if it will come back.

Then I went out later and mowed the grass… most of it. I used the engine swapped Craftsman 54” garden tractor and cut down enough to improve the view.

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. Water pump bearings went last night. Easy enough to change, but the mess will take some time to clean up. I do have my vintage February 2014 receipt from Advance Auto parts indicating that I paid less than $20 for this water pump that only lasted just shy of 50,000 miles. I will report back if Advance Auto parts will honor their "Limited Lifetime Warranty", which I understand is mostly a marketing term.

2002 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8
Replaced spark plugs, ignition coils, air filter, pcv valve, serpentine belt, changed oil

I've got the rest of the week off, not planning on taking in any work but who knows

Installed a 3rd SCV kit on a 1025R for use with a grapple attachment. I'm not quite sure what the customer is thinking, the poor thing can hardly lift the implement let alone logs. Oh well

Another 6L80E bites the dust, 2020 Suburban L83/4WD.....Converter clutch failure at 111,000.

Pulled the thermostatic bypass first, Surprisingly little converter debris was found. Bypassed the thermostat by tapping & inserting a 1/4" NPT plug.

itkdywi.jpeg

2pBT39w.jpeg

lfiUtBM.jpeg
what's the point of bypassing the thermostat? does the thermostat block flow to the converter or overheat it?

My next project. Parts will be ordered this week for this one. Anyone care to guess the engine?

IMG_0741.jpeg

2006 Tacoma 4x4: oil change, new gear oil in both diffs and t-case, flushed brake fluid, new serp belt, air filter, front pads & rotors.

This is the first belt drive I've personally encountered that compensates for minimal belt engagement by having the belt catch the (water pump/fan) pulley in two distinct locations. Interesting approach and seems to work.

Discovered I should maybe stock some 5203 bearings for Toyota applications.

Owner had been sold a new battery by O'Reilly that was slightly taller than OEM. Because the hold-down has one fixed hook there's really no adjustability. I ground off the stud head of the fixed hook and installed aftermarket and now it works great. The only bummer is that you'll need 10mm and 7/16" (or 11mm will work) to replace the battery in the future as all my hooks are 1/4-20
20240520_110502.jpg

I was reminded how much I hate capped lugnuts. On one this is the furthest I could get even a 21.5 to go, and it took some wiggling just to accomplish this:
20240521_142006.jpg

1999 Oldsmobile Alero. Water pump bearings went last night. Easy enough to change, but the mess will take some time to clean up. I do have my vintage February 2014 receipt from Advance Auto parts indicating that I paid less than $20 for this water pump that only lasted just shy of 50,000 miles. I will report back if Advance Auto parts will honor their "Limited Lifetime Warranty", which I understand is mostly a marketing term.
I bought an Alero the last year they were made. Forget what year
maybe 03 or 04
The AC went out at 6K miles

Pentastar? Those electrical connectors look familiar
You are correct. 2015 penastar. Changing all the lifters, rocker arms and the cams.

Only one was completely wiped out, but the other cams have some scoring you can feel with your nail in a little bit of pitting so just going to change everything with updated parts. You can tell there’s an issue when the rockers are 7$ each lifters 6$ each LOL. The cams are pricey though

Last edited:
Advance Auto Parts gave me a new water pump! They either didn't notice or care that my receipt was from February 2014, and 3 people looked at it. Their only concern was if the receipt had the warranty info on it and if they had another one. It was actually very easy! I expected them to deny, as that was what they are famous for.

Back