What are you working on today?

I always have an irrational fear of running the mc dry, too. Nitrile gloves help, and I still keep shop towels at hand to dry my gloves as needed.

The past couple GMs I've done hardly drip when the hose is disconnected. But some vehicles flow at a heavy rate. Theoretically it should help to keep the cap tightly on the reservoir.
Yeah I had gloves on but overlooked the towel part. Good thing the wife was home and paying attention. Had her refill the master. The first one is always the learning curve lol. The Dakota and Festiva hardly dripped but this is a much bigger animal and it’s on a downgrade. I kept the cap on but I’m thinking seeing if a thin plastic would fit and seal it tighter.

Fixed up my Dewalt DCF885 impact driver with a new body from Amazon. Not bad for $24 and 15 minutes of work. My case was cracked and had been repaired with JB weld several times.
FC289111-2FD9-4664-9ACC-FA43BA105812.jpeg

D744DFE8-730F-4BA6-9C02-2C2B8D9E4681.jpeg

New front struts for the 91 626. New shocks, all around, for the Ambassador wagon. Pulled radiator out of 67 Parklane to clean, detail, and paint while engine out before moving to the rest of the compartment.

Front_strut_626_2024_06.jpg
Front_strut_626_2024_05.jpg
Front_shock_05.jpg
Rear_shock_03.jpg

Changed oil on the 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan for my niece since she took it over.

No problems, the oil wasn’t that dirty but it has been on many road trips crisscrossing the state in the past couple of months.

Put in Valvoline 5w30 and used a Purolator filter I had in my stash. This van has the upgraded aluminum oil filter housing so it uses the 2014+ filter. It’s one reason I do the changes on this van for her vs. taking it to Walmart. She was going to and I realized they are exactly the guys to put the incorrect, old style filter in the new housing and trash her engine.

My brother (her dad) swapped out the noisy blower motor for her with the UltraPower I got for it. She had to run to pick up her sisters’s kids from school so she took off. Reported no issues (why would there be? 😁).

My brother (her dad) swapped out the noisy blower motor for her with the UltraPower I got for it. She had to run to pick up her sisters’s kids from school so she took off. Reported no issues (why would there be? 😁).
A brave man to run an UltraPower/Dorman blower motor! That said, it's one of those things that'll either die in a week or go 15 years.

Working on my pond bank ongoing restoration. The bank is collapsing from high water levels so I pile logs and sticks at the edge creating a base. Works like a reverse beaver dam stopping the dirt from running down the bank and into the water. The second picture I haven't started piling any up yet. Need some way of securing the pile until it gets established, probably going to slip a rope around it all. Still need some better footing for it. Once all is piled up from this years trimmings, I've got more wood chip mulch to pile on top of that. Got one more big trim job coming up once the Saskatoons are ripe in a couple weeks.

I literally have tons of trimmings every year I use to burn. These stick piles will slowly settle and roll down with gravity. You have to keep topping them off. But it all turns into dirt after a couple decades. Three years ago this was all too steep to even walk on and covered in wild growth. I stacked up some old power poles and filled in with wood chip mulch. Have the anchored with some horizontal stringers ran into the ground and tee post.

Dug out a clay pit this spring for a water run off collection site and used the clay for fill on the bank past the poles. The East side second picture has a ground water problem with a lot of natural spring like drainage through the soil coming out under the poles. That is going to need some rock to hold the bank back.

Stck pile on edge of pond.jpg
East lot bank logs and pole.jpg

My Dewalt 20v impact driver is my most used and favorite tool.
I’m having some mobility problems with my wrists due to carpal tunnel and I can use this for nearly everything you’d use a 1/4” drive socket set, Allen wrenches or torx for. It and my 3/8” impact are a lifesaver. Plus this model is still regarded as one of the best Dewalt ever made

2013 Highlander: replace right rear wheel bearing. Installed NSK from RA

Slight rant: the vehicle was last serviced by a local shop I despise. They put the rotor on clocked incorrectly such that the rubber plug for the star wheel only partially fit. They crammed it in sorta and let the wheel mash it the rest of the way. This also means the hole to actually access the star wheel is useless, but fortunately I didn't need it.

Replace master cylinder and front brake hoses in 72 AMC. Rear brake hose was already replace by PO. Bleed. Then minor things like filter for charcoal canister and and hot air tube to air cleaner that was missing. Went for a drive to check brakes and they were fine. Stopped at ACE hardware to see the watch repair guy about some of my Seikos. Went out, to leave, and car wouldn't start. Actually not a sound of any kind. However, door buzzer, radio, dash lights, and head lights all working. Battery only four years old so I'm guessing battery is Ok. So next in line is the starter solenoid. It just so happens that I keep, in the back, two boxes of parts for the car and there is a solenoid in there. Go into ACE for 5/16x24 fine thread nuts and a cheap 6" crescent wrench. Swap out old for NORS solenoid and car starts immediately.
Master_AMC_new_01.jpg
Brake_hose_AMC_bleed_01.jpg

Worked on a 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5 - the battery was absolutely flat. Tested it with my cheap meter and it says replacement is due. The Outback had a front hit by a deer so many parts on the left front, including the battery tray, were missing. The small battery was perched on the inner fender and held in place by a rubber bungee strap. 🫤

Seeing as tray assemblies are not readily available and I had a universal battery tray and hold down in the garage parts shelf, I was able to mount that in the space instead. It also has a larger size so a bigger battery can be fitted. Out with the weak Group 26 battery and in went a spare Group 65 I had left over. It fit perfectly and the cables were able to reach vs. the H6/Group 48 I tried.

Also installed a small spring on the hood latch release. The latch would flop around so I put a small, but strong spring on it to pull it back into position. Works like a charm now.

Then the rain set in so I decided to go do household stuff instead. 😎

Back