What are you working on today?

Replaced the starter in my '11 5.3 147k mile Tahoe yesterday. Filled up at my local Shell station, no store, old school gas only place. Went to restart and leave and dead in the water. Wife came and got me, and we towed it behind the station as owner said no problem working out back on the gravel parking lot.
Salt ate the braided copper from the solenoid into the motor.
After repeatedly saying I'm too old for this S__t and using every curse word in my vocabulary I got it swapped out with multiple flashbacks to my youth laying on cardboard in the gravel as the sun set.
At least LED flashlights made it better than the old days of rattling dim plastic flashlights stuck between your head and shoulder LOL.
Too cheap to pay crazy money for a 2-mile tow home, no AAA.

PXL_20221105_170658010.jpg

Drain and fill on Project xB transmission
I d+f when I bought it back in February, it's been 7 months and 7,000 miles, I'm gonna use some Mobil 3324, it was cheaper than Dealer WS

PXL_20221105_184150260.jpg

Fresh 🥰
PXL_20221105_185339993.jpg

That looks spot on, I'll recheck in a few days
PXL_20221105_191504440.jpg

Uh oh, the Van is breaking down 😳
Only 62k on it 🤷‍♂️
Hasn't had plugs and wires since 2012, it's probably time again
If not, it's probably the notoriously unreliable Nissan VG NS60 distributor 😒
I'll warranty the NGK wires, screw in 6 PFR5G-11s, maybe a fuel filter (remember those 👀) if I can get one in time
Did an oil change on it (gone 3200 miles since last September 😂), and an impromptu battery replacement due to slow cranking
PXL_20221105_200401348.jpg

PXL_20221105_200404406.jpg

PXL_20221105_200423158.jpg

Hard to believe she's been on those NYC streets for coming up on 22 years now 👴
$119 OTD at Costco for a 3 year Interstate 🫰
PXL_20221105_205944241.jpg

But it doesn't have the correct notches cut out in the back, so it doesn't sit flat in the tray unless you want the front retainer not in the groove, crushing the case 😔
PXL_20221105_210552856.jpg

If it's not one thing, it's another 😒

My '07 Pacifica has been riding like a trampoline when passengers are in the back or when I'm hauling cargo or towing. Definitely time for new rear shocks.

This vehicle uses some fancy auto-leveling Nivomat shocks which cost about $250+ per shock. I decided to take my chances on a pair from a salvage vehicle at the junkyard. For $8 a piece I'll try that first before I spend the big bucks.

Extracting the donor parts from the junkyard vehicle was tricky. They don't come out like normal shocks- they're recessed into the control arm(?) at the bottom, and the top where they mount to has a huge lip you can't slide them past. Can't compress them by hand at all like normal shocks. Resorted to unbolting the control arm on one side while saying a prayer as the spring uncompressed itself when the bolt broke loose. Loud bang but otherwise no drama.

That method wasn't an option on my own car, so for removal and installation I decided to drop the rear subframe one side at a time, which lowered everything enough to get both the shock and spring out. It was actually really easy, but I had better tools than what I brought to the junkyard.

The hardest part was convincing the lady at the JY that what I was buying was a shock and not a strut which they wanted to charge 3X the price for. She kept insisting they were struts, I literally had to break out my phone and pull up a parts diagram to show her. Even if these shocks only last 20-30K, it'll be $16 well spent.

Attachments

• IMG_4068.jpg
    IMG_4068.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4069.jpg
    IMG_4069.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4077.jpg
    IMG_4077.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4079.jpg
    IMG_4079.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4082.jpg
    IMG_4082.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4080.jpg
    IMG_4080.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 17
Took the Focus back apart.. you know because I love the car too death :cautious: Replace the o-ring in the thermostat housing and figured out why it was probably leaking. The thread was messed up in the head. Why no idea since the bolts went in out just fine. Like I said I just love the car. Think I figured out why it's all sudden having issue's starting after all the cooling system issues. Might be the temp sensor since it really freaked out when I forgot to plug it in, guess I'll test it someday why because I love the car to death. Oh yeah it's a 02 but was built in 01 so two different temp sensors, Ford things you know.

Fixed one gas leaks in the house just to find another. I even sealed those things with pipe sealant. But it's not a big leak so maybe I'll let it go another year like I did the big one.. nah tomorrow.

View attachment 124466
View attachment 124467
View attachment 124468
View attachment 124469
$6500 later, the body shop called and said it's done

I'm gonna have a phone call with the shop owner tomorrow morning, and it's not gonna be pleasant 😕

Everyone's incompetence is physically and mentally draining me these days 😭

I wanna take the Fusion in for it's airbag and floor mat recall, so there's probably gonna be some screaming and cursing at my local Ford dealer

Then once I'm done working on my third bleeding ulcer, I gotta go to the DMV and take my permit test for a CDL B w/air brake enforcement, because I need a better paying job

Oh, and the Villager barely runs, with a flashing check engine light and no power, I suspect the infamously POS NS60 distributor has bit the dust again 🙄
I don’t know what state you’re in or how it compares to MO but I would strongly recommend going to Class A if you can. In Missouri once you do the B with air brakes you aren’t far from an A. It mainly boils down to what vehicle you test in. I took my A with combination and air brakes on my 18th birthday and upgraded to full interstate at 21.

Today was a late afternoon project that I didn't want. Hopped in my Pacifica for a quick drive to the store and was greeted with a loud chime and a blinking 22 PSI reading on the left front tire. I can't win with tires for some reason, this is probably the third hole I've had to plug in tires this year.

For my effort, I got a brand new condition self tapping philips-head screw I can use on... something.

Cheap DIY plug used, I've had excellent luck with them provided the hole is small and not in a crucial area. These tires probably only have another year or two in them at most (due to age, not mileage). Leak free after the repair, it should hold up fine until new tire time.

Attachments

• tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 6
Annaul fall oil change on the Camaro. Filled with 10 quarts of M1 0W40 ESP and PF64 filter. Only had about 950 miles this year since my last change... Need to drive it more! But wanted to get it done in case winter strikes quickly, will be in the 40's the rest of the week after a beautiful day today. Bummer.

Hope to drive it enough to empty the tank and get some fresh gas in with stabilizer for winter storage for the 3 months or so.

Annaul fall oil change on the Camaro. Filled with 10 quarts of M1 0W40 ESP and PF64 filter. Only had about 950 miles this year since my last change... Need to drive it more! But wanted to get it done in case winter strikes quickly, will be in the 40's the rest of the week after a beautiful day today. Bummer.

Hope to drive it enough to empty the tank and get some fresh gas in with stabilizer for winter storage for the 3 months or so.
First World Problems indeed!! ;)

Weather changes can be abrupt these days .

Yesterday my lady friend newly acquired Lexus ES 350 with 112k on my garage-done oil change,cabin and air filter,brake checked,top of coolant and washer fluids,wiper's checked,new tires from Costco.Battery couple years old winter ready.She got good deal for 7k for old man she was taking care of.She's a care giver. It's 2008 model.

Back