What are you working on today?

Did the oil and fuel filters on my 3500 yesterday. Other than it being a pain in the rear, I decided on a few things: get a filter capping tool. I used the large ziploc bag method and pulled the filter out the side. It sucked and made a mess. I no longer have the patience to pull apart the intake ducting and go in the top. Second, the engine mounted fuel filter really does not see a lot of garbage, warranty be ****ed, i will change it every second time now (48,000km).

Since the roads are treacherous today, I may chisel out the trans crossmember so I can drop it to access the AS69RC filter and get that changed.

Got the trans filter done on the 3500. FYI the AS69RC is not fun. You have to drop the crossmember to access some of the pan bolts. Would have been a pile less garbagy if it were warm out with no ice build up.

Got the pan dropped, filter changed and cardan greased. Got the expected P0868 low pressure code and hard shifts but realized I made a stupid mistake. Was expecting less than 10 litres of ATF. Took 7 on just a pan drain and read it should be less than 10 for a filter swap. Well i bought 10 but need more. Can't clear the code and it is still reading low. Will get another jug of ATF soon and get her right.

Also noticed seepage from the trans transfer case joint. Hopefully warranty will still cover this.

Attachments

• 20201126_133951.jpg
    20201126_133951.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201126_142812.jpg
    20201126_142812.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201126_151307.jpg
    20201126_151307.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 24
Got the trans filter done on the 3500. FYI the AS69RC is not fun. You have to drop the crossmember to access some of the pan bolts. Would have been a pile less garbagy if it were warm out with no ice build up.

Got the pan dropped, filter changed and cardan greased. Got the expected P0868 low pressure code and hard shifts but realized I made a stupid mistake. Was expecting less than 10 litres of ATF. Took 7 on just a pan drain and read it should be less than 10 for a filter swap. Well i bought 10 but need more. Can't clear the code and it is still reading low. Will get another jug of ATF soon and get her right.

Also noticed seepage from the trans transfer case joint. Hopefully warranty will still cover this.
Clean transmission. What year is your truck?

Yes, the trans was really clean. Somehow the other pictures never saved. The usual fuzz on the magnets but no grime when I wiped the inside of the pan out. The ATF was still cherry red when draining. I captured a bit in a clear jug to have a look. 98xxx km on the clock. At 48,000km I did a pan drain per the the manual, about 7 litres went in.

Yes, the trans was really clean. Somehow the other pictures never saved. The usual fuzz on the magnets but no grime when I wiped the inside of the pan out. The ATF was still cherry red when draining. I captured a bit in a clear jug to have a look. 98xxx km on the clock. At 48,000km I did a pan drain per the the manual, about 7 litres went in.
That’s great. Good to see you are taking care of it.

Rainy day … watching B—-in ride marathon … Unreal what makes those car shows.
One more coffee and will attack garage clutter …

2003 BMW 540i front suspension replacement. Tie rod ends, lower control arms, thrust arm/bushings/ball joints and sway bar links. Not a difficult job by any means. The rear components were a different story.

Loved those E39 540...stick shift too?

Gonna warsh the solar panels. The fires left a ton of ash everywhere, including our lungs.
Rain helps, but we don't get much. I did hose 'em down. Now I will warsh 'em with car detergent.
Hope I don't accidently walk off the roof. I hate ladders.

All good.

North Star water softener stopped supplying softened water but was showing nor error codes. Could hear water going through venturi. Took the valve assembly apart and installed new seal kit. First time doing this. Back together and programmed to regenerate tonight. Hope Murphy wasn't looking over my shoulder. Happy Thanksgiving to all members everywhere.l
After installing the seal kit for our North Star water softener, I cycled the valve through the regeneration sequence with no problems. Thing woke me up last night while going from one valve position to the next making what I can only describe as a groaning sound. This AM I cycled to valve using the manual check and everything was normal. Machine has never set a trouble code. This valve design is used by many softener manufacturers. Anyone have experience with valve design?

I picked two litres of ATF after work to try and finish off the fluid change on my 3500. Fired up the truck and checked the level. Now shows over full. The clunk in and out of gear is gone but still cannot clear the P0868.

Tomorrow after work, before the sun sets, I will drain off a litre or so and start checking the level again.

Any excess drained out of the pan will mix in with my winter bar and chain oil.

Now i got two litres of group 4 ATF to use in the front hubs/transmission on my Magnum 500 and on my power steering systems.

Yesterday I changed the oil on the Venza that had previously been done by the dealership. It beggars belief how tightly the oil filter cap was torqued down. With the Toyota oil filter tool and a 1/2 ratchet wrench I was using all my strength to barely get it to budge. I then had to use the Harbor Freight 25” professional breaker bar to get it to loosen. That finally did the trick.

I replaced it with a WIX 57047 oil filter and Super Tech full synthetic 0W-20 oil. Two of the clips that hold on the plastic shielding were missing and I had to replace them too.

Yesterday I changed the oil on the Venza that had previously been done by the dealership. It beggars belief how tightly the oil filter cap was torqued down. With the Toyota oil filter tool and a 1/2 ratchet wrench I was using all my strength to barely get it to budge. I then had to use the Harbor Freight 25” professional breaker bar to get it to loosen. That finally did the trick.

I replaced it with a WIX 57047 oil filter and Super Tech full synthetic 0W-20 oil. Two of the clips that hold on the plastic shielding were missing and I had to replace them too.
Yeah people always over torque them. They also over torque the drain in the bottom of it I can never get the drain to budge ever and barely get the filter housing to budge ever. They swell up a lot too but only when warm.

Trying to figure out why my pulley on my manual belt tensioner that has the power steering belt running on it is sticking again it’s a 1989 Mazda B2200 last time the pulley went bad and broke the belt and it’s sticking again I can’t spin it by hand either I’ve never dealt with this issue before.

Back