What are you reading right now?

I finished this yesterday morning. Today I’m currently reading this. The Doolittle Raiders

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 15
I poke around with The Hound of Baskerville, for some reason I have not enoyed it as much as the prior stories. Most of the time I am reading the Peter awake honor series, my wife’s grandfather passed and it was given to me. Nice light reading.

Mynarski's Lanc, ed. by Bette Page, the story of a Victoria Cross awarded to the Canadian mid upper gunner of a RCAF Lancaster who died trying to save the trapped tail gunner in a burning Lancaster. And the later restoration of another WWII Lancaster to air worthiness (one of only 2 in the world) in his honour.

I'm currently working on the restoration of FM-104, another WWII Lancaster (hopefully to airworthiness) at the BC Aviation Museum.

Mynarski's Lanc, ed. by Bette Page, the story of a Victoria Cross awarded to the Canadian mid upper gunner of a RCAF Lancaster who died trying to save the trapped tail gunner in a burning Lancaster. And the later restoration of another WWII Lancaster to air worthiness (one of only 2 in the world) in his honour.

I'm currently working on the restoration of FM-104, another WWII Lancaster (hopefully to airworthiness) at the BC Aviation Museum.
Will be putting that one on my list. Have read many stories of the flyers who risked it all for us over the skies of Europe during the 1940s. Too many never returned home to keep us safe the last 70 to 80 years. They should never be forgotten.

Photos of the Andrew Mynarski memorial in Winnipeg's Vimy Ridge Park:

IMG_8532.JPG

IMG_8533.JPG

I finished this yesterday morning. Today I’m currently reading this. The Doolittle Raiders
I haven't read either book, but the subject matter is great!

I've read a lot about the X-15, and have a LIFE magazine from, I think, the summer of 1962, with X-15 pilot Bob White on the cover, captioned something like "Boy, that was a ride!"

I think he'd earned his astronaut wings on that flight by flying into space.

When I was little guy, perhaps eight, I read Ted Lawson's memoirs of the Doolittle raid. I think it was called "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo". Fascinating how they flew non-carrier bombers one-way off the Hornet.

Will be putting that one on my list. Have read many stories of the flyers who risked it all for us over the skies of Europe during the 1940s. Too many never returned home to keep us safe the last 70 to 80 years. They should never be forgotten.
It makes you wonder how many men did similarly heroic deeds that never came to light because the only witnesses died during or shortly after the event.

In the case of Pilot Officer Andrew Mynarski VC, the trapped tail gunner survived because the turret opened in the crash and he was thrown free. Mynarski survived the parachute jump (proving that he could have easily saved himself) but because of his efforts to save the tail gunner his uniform was on fire from the waist down and he died of his burns a day or two later.

A VC requires two witnesses, which in this case presumably were the tail gunner and the French civilian who saw Mynarski descending by parachute with his uniform on fire.

It makes you wonder how many men did similarly heroic deeds that never came to light because the only witnesses died during or shortly after the event.

In the case of Pilot Officer Andrew Mynarski VC, the trapped tail gunner survived because the turret opened in the crash and he was thrown free. Mynarski survived the parachute jump (proving that he could have easily saved himself) but because of his efforts to save the tail gunner his uniform was on fire from the waist down and he died of his burns a day or two later.

A VC requires two witnesses, which in this case presumably were the tail gunner and the French civilian who saw Mynarski descending by parachute with his uniform on fire.
The replica Mynarski Lancaster (VRA) stopped here on its national tour back in 1989. The sound of the four Merlins was impressive. I think it's based in Hamilton.

The Mynarski tribute Lancaster is a real made in Canada WWII Lancaster, FM-213. It served various roles in the RCAF until October 1963 when it was finally SOS. FM-104 (the BC Aviation Museum's Lancaster) is a sister aircraft and was SOS the same day.

And yes it's located at Hamilton. When there was an airshow in Saskatoon it flew over our house (accompanied by a Spitfire) while I was in the shower. There was no mistaking the glorious sound of five Merlin engines.

As a sidebar to this discussion, my F-I-L was an aero engine mechanic and worked on the Merlin engines on Lancasters in England during WWII. We have his tunic, which is complete with aero engine mechanic patches.

Back