What are the most common oil filter sizes?

Good point. MAYBE keep "one on hand" for "special occasions" as my case (pan threads stripped) was.

Or a stash of replacement drain plugs for when any "serious conversation" just wouldn't be worth it.
There'll be times when the proprietor will want to be able to move a customer along.

It must be the Fram 3506 or the 3675. GM V8s used those for years. And back in the day it was the Fram 3980 when everyone still had trucks with the 4.3, 5.0, & 5.7 engines.
3506 is a 1042. Yep, already on the list. 3675 is a 1522. Seems to fit lots of early 2000s GM. Not a strong candidate for a master pack, but seems worth it to grab a few.

I ended up buying about $500 worth of filters ($1K off-sale) before my store's sale ended. I wanted to buy more master packs, but the budget wouldn't allow it. Thanks to all of your replies and NAPA's "buyer's guide" I created what I felt was a practical list. It definitely isn't going to cover everything, and I'll probably need additional quantities of the ones I did purchase. But the goal was to get the most common ones in the right quantities to minimize having to pay full price for filters on the fly as much as possible. My startup list (until I can buy more during the next F&F sale, hopefully in October or worst case March) includes:

[TD valign="top"]
Filter
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
Qty.
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
1040​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
1​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
1042​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
3​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
1060​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
1​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
1085​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
3​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
1334MP​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
12​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
1348MP​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
12​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
1358​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
3​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
1372​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
3​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
1394​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
1​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
1516​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
1​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
1522​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
3​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
7002​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
1​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
7047​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
1​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
7060​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
4​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
7082​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
3​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
7145​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
1​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
7203​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
1​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
7356MP​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
12​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
7502​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
3​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
7526​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
1​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
7674​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
3​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
7899​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
3​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
100010​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
3​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
100255​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
3​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
100283​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
3​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
100290​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
3​
[/TD]

Sorry for the insanely large table. I tried to make it smaller like the original was, but I don't quite have the hang of this site yet.

Me being the OCD guy I am, I checked all the filter dates. They were all late 2019 or 2020 except for a few. The few exceptions were all dated 2014! It was weird seeing the Affinia logo...

The 2014 filters were the 7502s, 7082s, 7145s, and 7674s. To me, there is no excuse for the old 7502s considering all the newer Ford products they fit on. What is the general opinion on filters of this age? I've always used my (uneducated) guideline of 2-3 years max. I'm aware that filters can rust, ADBVs can become stiff, and media can become brittle. I've just never really known at what timelines. Should I swap these out? I'm thinking so. I was able to swap for a fresh 7145, so that one is corrected. But the others are making me uneasy, and they'd have to order the rest from the DC. The same DC the 2014 filters originally came from. Thoughts?

In my world the xx-8A / 1515/ 30001 is the most common. Fits all the pre-metric filter Mopar v8s and sixes (even though many originally spec’d the shorty version), all the pushrod Fords, the Jeep 4.0 (also originally spec’d the short version), and a bunch of the muscle era GM v8s.

The 2014 filters were the 7502s, 7082s, 7145s, and 7674s. To me, there is no excuse for the old 7502s considering all the newer Ford products they fit on. What is the general opinion on filters of this age? I've always used my (uneducated) guideline of 2-3 years max. I'm aware that filters can rust, ADBVs can become stiff, and media can become brittle. I've just never really known at what timelines. Should I swap these out? I'm thinking so. I was able to swap for a fresh 7145, so that one is corrected. But the others are making me uneasy, and they'd have to order the rest from the DC. The same DC the 2014 filters originally came from. Thoughts?

I guess it depends a little on the construction, but I’d think ANY filter should have a shelf life of at least 10 years in a cool dry place. Higher end filters with synthetic media and silicone rubber ADBV and gaskets should last even longer.

Interesting. I'll have to dig through the archves of 53' Stude's cut & posts to get a general consensus of what I'm really comfortable with. I actually swapped them all for new filters. The counter guy was one of those good-old-boys in his late 60's (who even drove an early 60s era beat up blue Chevy truck) and was completely dumbfounded when I said they were old. He had no clue the filters had dates on them. But being the carefree type he is, he said "whatever floats your boat" and just handed me new ones. Now my oldest filter of any part number is October of 2019. I'm happy.

Interesting. I'll have to dig through the archves of 53' Stude's cut & posts to get a general consensus of what I'm really comfortable with. I actually swapped them all for new filters. The counter guy was one of those good-old-boys in his late 60's (who even drove an early 60s era beat up blue Chevy truck) and was completely dumbfounded when I said they were old. He had no clue the filters had dates on them. But being the carefree type he is, he said "whatever floats your boat" and just handed me new ones. Now my oldest filter of any part number is October of 2019. I'm happy.

Sounds good. I have a MANN filter off a Kia Forte to jack and a Donaldson off friends 19’ F-250 with 6.2 gasser.

Here is Carquest/Advance top 20 numbers.

E8D317C1-4C16-438B-AB39-12A1A00D1D9A.jpeg

Check with your local truck dealership for wiper blades and bulk buys on filters. I carried Baldwin at a very competitive price as well as Anco wipers. The wipers weren’t but a few dollars each.

Not sure what the filter numbers are but the following apps are my best guess:

Gm and ford 3.6l
Gm and ford v8
Powerstroke and Cummins
Toyota and honda 4cyl
Fiat 3.6 Pentastar and 5.7 Hemi

At the shop I’m at, Hyundai/Kia 9688 is probably the No. 1 filter we go through, followed closely by the 10060 filter for Dodge cars and trucks.
What filters you need will also be affected by demographics, and what vehicles tend to be in your area.

Back