What ACEA Sequence best mimics Dexos1

Which ACEA sequence, either high saps A5/B5, A7/B7 or the low/mid saps seq C5/C6 would be more similar to a Dexos1 Gen2 say in a 0w20 weight?

To put it another way if an application called for a Dexos1 Gen2 0w-20 spec oil, which ACEA category:

A/B: Gasoline and Diesel Engine Oils – “High SAPS” or
C: Catalyst & GPF/DPF compatible Engine Oils for Gasoline & Diesel Engines – “Low/mid SAPS”

would be closest to Dexos1 assuming both were 0w20 weights?

When I look at the Lubrizol relative performance comparison for API vs ACEA performance, from the graphic, ACEA specs destroy API. So excluding warranty reasons, would for example, a VW spec 508.00 (0w-20) give better performance that a ISLAC SP/GF-6 0w-20 oil in a vehicle spec'ed for Dexos1? I'm not suggesting anyone switch types, just curious if there are more robust standards than Dexos1.

oil.jpg

When I look at the Lubrizol relative performance comparison for API vs ACEA performance, from the graphic, ACEA specs destroy API. So excluding warranty reasons, would for example, a VW spec 508.00 (0w-20) give better performance that a ISLAC SP/GF-6 0w-20 oil in a vehicle spec'ed for Dexos1? I'm not suggesting anyone switch types, just curious if there are more robust standards than Dexos1.

View attachment 63557
dexos is identical to SP/GF6 with slightly less trash in the bag noack limits.

View attachment 63557

Food for thought...
If you're going to take the graph at it's word, you should take the disclaimer in the same fashion. Not meant to compare between different specifications.

1626370916003.png

Food for thought...
If you're going to take the graph at it's word, you should take the disclaimer in the same fashion. Not meant to compare between different specifications.

View attachment 63567
I had never noticed that, so comparing different industry specs renders the graphic meaningless. It did seem to be way out of focus when comparing API and ACEA. Thanks for the heads up.

I think the attraction to ACEA is not so much the low viscosity oils, but the higher viscosities such as 30 grade and 40 grade. AECA did or go through a “fuel saving” CAFE program, so their viscosities are higher within the same range of 30 grade and 40 grade. To convince yourself of that take a look at Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and compare the Viscosity of it @100 C to something like Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30.

I had never noticed that, so comparing different industry specs renders the graphic meaningless. It did seem to be way out of focus when comparing API and ACEA. Thanks for the heads up.
I wouldn't say meaningless but maybe the relative difference isn't as far off as it's presented. I don't even try to guess anymore and just don't compare different specs anymore. But i know many on here still do. I made the same mistake when initially using the the tool myself. 🍻

I think the attraction to ACEA is not so much the low viscosity oils, but the higher viscosities such as 30 grade and 40 grade. AECA did or go through a “fuel saving” CAFE program, so their viscosities are higher within the same range of 30 grade and 40 grade. To convince yourself of that take a look at Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and compare the Viscosity of it @100 C to something like Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30.
Whoops. AECA did NOT go through a fuel saving CAFE program.

Interesting - Castrol Edge Dexos1 Gen2 is API SM, ILSAC GF-6, ACEA A1/B1 and lastly ACEA C5

Therefore, I guess a VW 508 00/509 00 being C5 could be used for a Dexos1 G2 application calling for 0w20?

dcb4e4ea-ee80-48ac-b0bb-4d9ec0948c3d.513065d3a438b2c52f917e5bbb0bda47.jpeg

A1/B1 are way outdated specs and no longer apply.
So then would Dexos1 Gen 2 be classified more of a mid saps or high saps oil?

From what I can gather:
< .5%mm sulphated ash is considered low saps
.5 - .8 mid saps
>=.9 high saps

The Lubrizol passenger car graphs for GM Opel shows Dexos1 having <=1.0 for SA% So perhaps it's on the very low end of what would be considered a high saps oil. (Or maybe the high end of a mid saps)

So to wrap this up, it would appear that a quality 0w-20 ISLAC GF-6 D1G2 engine oil would be pretty much identical to an ACEA C5 0W-20 in terms of SA, HTHS viscosity and overall performance.

It makes me wonder what, if any, would be the difference b/t Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0w-20 API SP/SN+ and Castrol Edge Professional LL IV FE 0W-20 which is a VW 508/509 C5.

So to wrap this up, it would appear that a quality 0w-20 ISLAC GF-6 D1G2 engine oil would be pretty much identical to an ACEA C5 0W-20 in terms of SA, HTHS viscosity and overall performance.

It makes me wonder what, if any, would be the difference b/t Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0w-20 API SP/SN+ and Castrol Edge Professional LL IV FE 0W-20 which is a VW 508/509 C5.
potentially different region of manufacture and deliberately not sending edge ep for 508 approval

Back