What about this scenario?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which engnine will outlast the other?

Daily driver "A" ususe conventional and changes his/her oil every 3-4 months and does not exceed 4 thousand miles on the oil.

Draily driver "B" uses Mobil 1 or any other top rated syn and changes his oil on an extended drain basis such as 5k or higher...

Well, if you are talking about a sludge prone engine or one with a turbocharger, I would say extended OCI with Mobil 1 is going to give a longer engine life. First of all, with Mobil 1, the sludge will probably never form to begin with. It has been established that with a sludge prone engine, such as the Saab 2.0 liter, sludge can begin to build up right after filling with new dino oil. In the turbocharged engine, you are going to have high-temperature tolerant synthetic oil feeding those turbo bearings every time you shut down. When you consider that the turbo rotor is going to spin for several minutes (without oil being circulated) after every shutdown following use of the boost mode, those bearings are going to hold up much longer when lubricated with a good synthetic.

There are too many variables involved to give a simple answer. For example, one drive may do long highway trips while the other does mainly city driving. Under these condition, the highway driver's car will last the longest regardless of what type of oil because of the excessive wear and fuel dilution from city driving.

I dont consider 5000 miles as extended service...I would still choose B because i have a money tree in my backyard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back