What 830k USD buys in Warren, AR

Disclosure- please lets not talk about politics in this thread- it violates terms and conditions of BITOG.​

People are leaving all kinds of states for less taxes and more seasonable weather- I was surprised when I read the follow article last week, and a another one (not favorable) on Arkansas. Seems moving to Arkansas is worthy topic for two huge media companies.

Why people are leaving California for Arkansas

Moving to Arkansas isn't just a pocketbook decision – it’s about quality of life as well​

Good luck recruiting Californians for Arkansas, Sarah Sanders​

I have no idea what triggered you to make this a political thread. 🤷‍♂️

I have no idea what triggered you to make this a political thread. 🤷‍♂️
I didn't- the post was a reply reference who would move to Arkansas, and last week two articles from major media outlets discussed the subject- who in fact would move to Arkansas. The articles have different views, so it can be implied that one can read "two sides of the story".

That’s a lot of house and property for the money. Warren, AR is a pretty poor area so that probably has something to do with the affordability. If you don’t have kids in school and just want a place to live out your years on your property, it may just work.

I agree too much wood and a very 1992 look to it. I like the covered porch/patio area.
When we lived in Pillow PA we had a covered porch. Porch was a covered wrap around and added a ton of very usable outside living space, that did not have to pay property tax on.

The tradeoff for a covered porch is that it makes the interior of the home dark.

The 3 rules of real estate are location, location, location. Mr. GON's 3 rules seem to be price, price, and price. ;) It appears he'll consider anywhere in the US where there's a good deal.
Tomorrow is a new day, and I can't predict what will happen with single family home real estate prices tomorrow. Today, most every location in the US is a Sellers' market, location irrelevant.

One example is Cochise County , Arizona. The only county in Arizona to lose population from 2010-2020. Yet, prices in Cochise County are going up, higher and higher every day. Homes we looked at in the Douglas, AZ and surrounding area have gone up double digits each year for the past two years. This is with significant mortgage interest rate increases and a declining population. I can't explain it. But the facts speak for themselves.

When we lived in Pillow PA we had a covered porch. Porch was a covered wrap around and added a ton of very usable outside living space, that did not have to pay property tax on.

The tradeoff for a covered porch is that it makes the interior of the home dark.
See that allot on coastal property but never connected it to taxation - think they mainly go by what’s under HVAC here …

Reactions: GON
See that allot on coastal property but never connected it to taxation - think they mainly go by what’s under HVAC here …
The home in Pillow had a wonderful designed wrap around covered porch. Added likely 800-1,000 square feet of non taxable living space. Porch had great ceiling fans, awesome outlets and such everywhere. Porch was elevated and had unobstructed views of the Appalachians.

The issue was, even though the home had sky lights and many windows, the wrap around covered porch blocks natural sunlight from getting into the home's interior.

Reactions: 4WD
I’d have to spend a $100k-$200k updating the look or entire cabinetry all over that home. Unfortunate when a home owners picked something trendy(90’s?).

they grow alot of rice on the west bank of the Mississippi River in Arkansas.
You might be right about the cotton.

I've actually seen cotton growing (as a weed) in my yard. This part of Virginia wasn't really known for cotton, I don't believe much was ever grown here. Cotton likes the soil to be warm enough.

I've actually seen cotton growing (as a weed) in my yard. This part of Virginia wasn't really known for cotton, I don't believe much was ever grown here. Cotton likes the soil to be warm enough.
I have seen it planted like weeds while a developer was trying to keep his land “agricultural“ …

Do you like that area? It looks pretty curated already, and the house is unnecessarily large. I would prefer half the house, a shop building, and add another 20 acres.

I do kinda like Missouri and northern Arkansas and plan on exploring the area a bit more, but still like New Mexico better for several reasons.

Reactions: GON
Do you like that area? It looks pretty curated already, and the house is unnecessarily large. I would prefer half the house, a shop building, and add another 20 acres.

I do kinda like Missouri and northern Arkansas and plan on exploring the area a bit more, but still like New Mexico better for several reasons.
I made a "low" non-binding offer with a realtor on this home. I didn't receive a response- which is a response. Of note, my offer was with my contractually signed "buyer's agent'.

We looked really hard in South West Missouri- in fact when we began this search, it was on top of the list. SW Missouri lost favor because of colder winters, distance and convieiance to visit grandkids in Colorado, and lack of homes that matched what we are looking for in Missouri.

Years ago, low non-binding offers may have held some weight with homes in rural areas with little prospect for buyers. Those days are gone at this time.

I don't need this particular house but may want it. There are certain "tickets" it punches for me. Most importantly, there is a job vacancy I am qualified for less than five miles from the home. But I am not going to fly out with my Wife to tour the home if the home is in a "Sellers market" mode. And I think almost every home in the USA is in a Sellers market mode.

Issue with New Mexico is taxes. For a person on limited future income- taxes are part of the equation. There are two job opportunities in New Mexico I qualify for, but the taxes in New Mexico are a factor that currently has me taking a pass on New Mexico homes.

Back