What $629,000 might buy for a single-family home in Fall River County, SD (Hot Springs SD area)

Have you considered Pierre?
TBM,

Yes, we have looked at Pierre and actually went at looked at a home on the river two years ago.

Some of the homes just north of Pierre on the Missouri river remind me of the waterfront landscape of New Zealand. Simply breathtaking.

If we retired in Pierre, it would need to be a home on the Missouri River. Very few homes on the Missouri River north of Pierre have hit the market, and the homes that have were super pricey.

If we could find a home on the river north of Pierre, we could afford- we would likely pull the trigger.

Haha. I saw the spot where his pecker was found(up behind that old ice cream place on 28) A woman friend of mine knows the cop who found it. Can you imagine being on patrol and receiving a call to BOLO for a pecker on the side of the road?

The cops around Manassas had to have been used to weird stuff like that. Prior to Bobbitt, there was the guy named "High Test" who spent all his time huffing gasoline. He was a regular in the police blotter, and the Washington Post even did a story about him.

You may want to take a second look reference the "South Dakota Oil Boom". South Dakota never had an oil boom, nor did South Dakota obtain bountiful revenue for the state coffers from the oil wells it does have.

South Dakota has the most financially sound state (my opinion) of all 50 states because of the values of the residents of the state of South Dakota. I don't want to go into a subject that is not allowed on BITOG, but I will say the state does not spend or reward to excess from the work of lobbyists and other groups. South Dakota has one of the highest employment participation rates in the nation (which is very different then unemployment rate). South Dakota does have a huge financial services market for the ultra-wealthy. The ultra-wealthy can park their riches in South Dakota without their riches being disclosed- similar to what rich people have done in places like the Cayman Islands.

Here is what you may have possibly thought was South Dakota (North Dakota).

It is your view-not others-
– Utah’s economy ranks No. 1 among all 50 states, according to rankings released by U.S. News & World Report, the global authority in rankings and civic journalism.

“These rankings confirm what Utahns have known for years: Utah is the best state in the nation for economic opportunity, for education and for quality of life,” said Utah Gov. Spencer Cox. “I’m extremely proud of this recognition and look forward to an even more prosperous 2021 for all Utahns.”

The rankings are based on more than 70 metrics and tens of thousands of data points to capture how states best serve their citizens across eight main categories, including health care, education, infrastructure and the economy. Certain categories are weighted more based on an annual survey with thousands of people to determine which issues are most important.
Utah is among the top 10 states in economy, infrastructure, crime and corrections, fiscal stability and education. The overall Best States Ranking for Utah is No. 3.

And another-

At Osage Beach,Missouri its high but I love the landscape and people. Southern hospitality without being too hot. I will eventually get completely moved once my common law wife gets a nursing job there. We can live on interest from our assets but I still wish to add to it as the market isnt great. We have looked at Svalbard which is a NE Norwegian island and Thailand as well as Costa Rica and Panama. We both took four years of HS Spanish and I did a semester of German in JUCO. I like the cold being on beta blockers for my heart and having Bauer Ice Skates is a plus but I would miss people in N.A.

South Dakota might be one of the very strongest real estate markets in the USA, even with potential storms coming in residential real estate.

The state of South Dakota is very well off financially, the state's entitlement programs are all fully funded. Four percent sales tax, no state income tax. Public schools score well above the national average on the basics of reading, writing, and math.

With all that said- I find the cost of housing in South Dakota pricey.... especially with the winter weather. South Dakota bucks the real estate rule of- location-location-location.

Pricey?

4,800 sqft here in a good town (meaning good schools and good access) is ~2.5x that....w/ ridiculous taxes to boot :mad:

In Manassas, Virginia, internationally known as being where the John Bobbitt incident happened, that will buy you a `1200sq ft townhouse.
Driving from Manassas to Fairfax there are at least 500 zillion townhomes, and even years ago they were all $500k plus. Wonder why traffic is so bad in that part of the state? :ROFLMAO:

Driving from Manassas to Fairfax there are at least 500 zillion townhomes, and even years ago they were all $500k plus. Wonder why traffic is so bad in that part of the state? :ROFLMAO:

Because they like to build 300 home subdivisions with exactly one access point to a 2-lane road, and other stupid things like that. If you took a map of all the roads in Northern Virginia, deleted the ones that only serve a single development, and compared it to a map of Northern Virginia from 1865, you wouldn't see much difference. There are many places in Northern Virginia where a detour around a closed road is 10 or more miles. Ridiculous for a built up area but that's what it is.

Where I live, which is currently a rural area, it's about a 20 mile trip to get back to my house if I leave the driveway and only make right turns.

And 70 years from now, when the lot where my house is will likely be a used car lot and a Taco Bell, it'll probably STILL be a 20 mile round trip.

At Osage Beach,Missouri its high but I love the landscape and people. Southern hospitality without being too hot. I will eventually get completely moved once my common law wife gets a nursing job there. We can live on interest from our assets but I still wish to add to it as the market isnt great. We have looked at Svalbard which is a NE Norwegian island and Thailand as well as Costa Rica and Panama. We both took four years of HS Spanish and I did a semester of German in JUCO. I like the cold being on beta blockers for my heart and having Bauer Ice Skates is a plus but I would miss people in N.A.
R2R,

When we originally started the search, we selected Dallas County, Missouri. We took DCM off the list after a year for numerous reasons, but we love rural MO.

Pricey?

4,800 sqft here in a good town (meaning good schools and good access) is ~2.5x that....w/ ridiculous taxes to boot :mad:
I think homebuyers in Southern California, the Bay area, and Honolulu think the price of your home in New England is a bargain.

The homebuyers of Southern California, Hawai are not looking to buy in your area on a MACRO basis. They want California and Hawaii for the location. Mentioning price without discussing location is not a proper assessment of the scenario.

I think homebuyers in Southern California, the Bay area, and Honolulu think the price of your home in New England is a bargain.

The homebuyers of Southern California, Hawai are not looking to buy in your area on a MACRO basis. They want California and Hawaii for the location. Mentioning price without discussing location is not a proper assessment of the scenario.
We lived in Palo Alto.....schools and local economy are the key players, although surprisingly some of the Silicon Valley public school systems are not exceptional.

We lived in Palo Alto.....schools and local economy are the key players, although surprisingly some of the Silicon Valley public school systems are not exceptional.
Sorry, my error. I thought your profile said you were in New England.

If we win the lotto (we play about once every other year), and won, we would move to California. I know California takes a lot of hits for policies, but for quality of life and overall offerings, California has more to offer than any other state in the USA,.

TBM,

Yes, we have looked at Pierre and actually went at looked at a home on the river two years ago.

Some of the homes just north of Pierre on the Missouri river remind me of the waterfront landscape of New Zealand. Simply breathtaking.

If we retired in Pierre, it would need to be a home on the Missouri River. Very few homes on the Missouri River north of Pierre have hit the market, and the homes that have were super pricey.

If we could find a home on the river north of Pierre, we could afford- we would likely pull the trigger.

I think Pierre gets the occasional big flood. I would check that out especially being close to the Missouri River

I know California takes a lot of hits for policies, but for quality of life and overall offerings, California has more to offer than any other state in the USA,.

California can get away with those policies because the state has other qualities which more than make up for them.

Such is definitely not true of a state like Virginia, which in recent years has started to adopt more and more California-style policies.

P
I think Pierre gets the occasional big flood. I would check that out especially being close to the Missouri River
PT,

Thanks- the homes we were looking at on the Missouri river were bluff top homes, about 100 feet above the water.

This is the home we looked at. Fantastic lot and pretty nice outbuilding. The owner built the home, especially the interior, like Johhny Cash built his stolen from the factory Cadillac. The interior would have need to be gutted to the studs and everything replaced, plumbing, HVAC everything.

This is what the Broker told us (you know a Broker is lying when his lips are moving):

""Yes this home has 3 bedrooms and 3 baths. On the main level there is the master bedroom with master bath. Also on the main closer to the family room is a second bedroom with a bathroom just outside the door. Then upstairs is a loft style bedroom with its own bath as well.

This home is amazingly built. The current owner had this place built to his own set of standards which is very high! For instance, there is not ONE thing (vent, exhaust or chimney) that comes out the roof, so its almost impossible to ever have a leak! The list goes on... Tom Latour- the owner, started Warrior boats and loves to engineer things to last! I hope you can check this place out! its a hidden Gem!""

Thanks- the homes we were looking at on the Missouri river were bluff top homes, about 100 feet above the water.

This is the home we looked at. Fantastic lot and pretty nice outbuilding. The owner built the home, especially the interior, like Johhny Cash built his stolen from the factory Cadillac. The interior would have need to be gutted to the studs and everything replaced, plumbing, HVAC everything.

It looks great. A bit of a hodgepodge interior as you mentioned. A little bit of land so you could have a decent garden too.

California can get away with those policies because the state has other qualities which more than make up for them.

Such is definitely not true of a state like Virginia, which in recent years has started to adopt more and more California-style policies.
As someone who grew up in California and left 10 years ago I can tell you the quality of life sucks there now. And this is not even mentioning any topics that might get my post removed. When I grew up there-the state had a population of about 20 million. You could still get on the freeways and not really see any appreciable traffic except for a hour each side of "rush hour". TODAY-the state has over 40 million people and freeway gridlock is 19 or 20 hours a day. Want to go from the Inland Empire to the Beach? Figure over 2 hours. Want to go to a play in "Hollywood" from Orange County or the Inland Empire? Figure a minimum of three hours each way. Go to Walmart and wait in line to check out. Go to any popular fast food chain on the weekends-again wait in a substantial line to check out. All services which include auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc., are ultra expensive-after all it takes a chunk of change to live there. Go to a park or other recreationally place on the weekends? Lots of luck with that. Also-bring a cool 1plus million (at least) to live in a desirable neighborhood. The upside to the state? The weather. Also the beaches and the mountains if you can get to them.

So yea-from someone who live there over 50 years of my life.

Last edited:
As someone who grew up in California and left 10 years ago I can tell you the quality of life sucks there now. And this is not even mentioning any topics that might get my post removed. When I grew up there-the state had a population of about 20 million. You could still get on the freeways and not really see any appreciable traffic except for a hour each side of "rush hour". TODAY-the state has over 40 million people and freeway gridlock is 19 or 20 hours a day. Want to go from the Inland Empire to the Beach? Figure over 2 hours. Want to go to a play in "Hollywood" from Orange County or the Inland Empire? Figure a minimum of three hours each way. Go to Walmart and wait in line to check out. Go to any popular fast food chain on the weekends-again wait in a substantial line to check out. All services which include auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc., are ultra expensive-after all it takes a chunk of change to live there. Go to a park or other recreationally place on the weekends? Lots of luck with that. Also-bring a cool 1plus million (at least) to live in a desirable neighborhood. The upside to the state? The weather. Also the beaches and the mountains if you can get to them.

So yea-from someone who live there over 50 years of my life.

Northern Virginia:

Traffic congestion? Yes. 2 hours to 50 miles on I95 between DC and Fredericksburg is the norm. Sometimes it can be closer to 3 hours. The only alternative routes are Route 1 and some 2-lane secondary roads which haven't been improved since the Byrd was governor (his political machine was also responsible for "Massive Resistance", go look that one up if you'd like a glimpse into Virginia's sordid history) and got them paved almost 100 years ago.

Ultra expensive services? Absolutely. The cost of living here is about 150 percent of the national average.

Living in a decent neighborhood? The median cost of a house in Fairfax county is now $716k. Arlington county? $1.2 million. If you don't mind living 30 miles from DC, with a 2 to 3 hour commute if you happen to work in that city, you might be able to find a townhouse for under $400k in a pretty crappy neighborhood.

Population? Virginia had a population of 6 million in 1988 when I moved here (not by choice, came with my parents, dad moved to keep his job). It now has a population of 8.6 million.

That addition of 2.6 million people had made traffic on the already inadequate road infrastructure exponentially worse. What Virginia has is "plantation class" roads. They were perfectly good for getting the cotton and tobacco to port, so many roads are east-west roads. There are not many north-south roads in the state, which is why getting from DC to Fredericksburg is almost always a nightmare.

How has the qualify of life changed in the 34 years I've lived here? It's never been good, and it's getting worse. The police blotter for the county I live in, Prince William, is reporting shootings almost every single day.

And the weather in Virginia pretty much sucks. 90F with 50% humidity most days in the summer. Air conditioning is very much a necessity here. Hope it doesn't break down, you might be waiting a while to get it fixed.

Reactions: CKN
must live in Weston...
(also see the school rating - not below 100)
lol my buddy's bro lives in Weston and has a yacht and an investment property downtown Boston. Complains about fixing his Range Rover and Lexus to the point where my buddy said please, stop talking about your cars lol

When it comes to a restaurant check, for someone 6'4" tall, he has arms of an alligator. And this was what got me. My buddy says he does not ever give a wedding present, and cites some etiquette article online that says guests are not required to do so. Once a couple emailed him maybe the gift was lost or stolen, to which he replied no, they did not give one, and a link to the article.

Being rich isn't all that imho.

p.s. pretty sure Winnetka IL trounces that median income

Back