What $629,000 might buy for a single-family home in Fall River County, SD (Hot Springs SD area)

And for the record, if I could redo my adult life again knowing what I know today, I would have forgone any real estate profit in the west and southwest and moved and raised my family to South Dakota.

The values of the people in South Dakota are values I want my children and grandchildren to embrace.

I just went under contract in Colorado. We sold our suburban house in January and have been renting since then. We watched the market in the areas we have been looking at (mountain homes with acreage, 2500+ sqft) go from $100k over asking price selling in one day to $50k-$100k under original asking price and 30 days on the market. It's been quite a shift in the market!

• Wow
Reactions: GON
I just went under contract in Colorado. We sold our suburban house in January and have been renting since then. We watched the market in the areas we have been looking at (mountain homes with acreage, 2500+ sqft) go from $100k over asking price selling in one day to $50k-$100k under original asking price and 30 days on the market. It's been quite a shift in the market!
Do you think that is a long term trend in western Colorado, or just weak hands dumping real estate in western Colorado out of fear, or something else?

The Western Slope is wayyyy over valued currently, we were looking there too. I believe that prices will fall harder there than anywhere else in Colorado. I'm talking about the GJ, Rifle, Delta area. Durango/Pagosa is dropping, but it won't hit GJ levels.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
South Dakota might be one of the very strongest real estate markets in the USA, even with potential storms coming in residential real estate.

The state of South Dakota is very well off financially, the state's entitlement programs are all fully funded. Four percent sales tax, no state income tax. Public schools score well above the national average on the basics of reading, writing, and math.

With all that said- I find the cost of housing in South Dakota pricey.... especially with the winter weather. South Dakota bucks the real estate rule of- location-location-location.

That's because of the oil boom in SD.

I didn't know south Dakota had a oil boom. I know north Dakota had a oil boom peeking somewhere between 2015-2018, but didn't know south Dakota has a oil boom.

In Manassas, Virginia, internationally known as being where the John Bobbitt incident happened, that will buy you a `1200sq ft townhouse.
Haha. I saw the spot where his pecker was found(up behind that old ice cream place on 28) A woman friend of mine knows the cop who found it. Can you imagine being on patrol and receiving a call to BOLO for a pecker on the side of the road? Fast forward to years later when my GF at the time had to have a breast removed due to cancer. She was in her 40's so wanted to have a plastic surgeon in on the surgery. The only plastic surgeon on her insurance was the guy who sewed Bobbitt's thing back on. He was a short guy who looked like Duggy Howser. He carried a book of photos around that had the famous photos. All the other Docs referred to him as the D..k Dr. He happened to be on call that famous night.

I didn't know south Dakota had a oil boom. I know north Dakota had a oil boom peeking somewhere between 2015-2018, but didn't know south Dakota has a oil boom.
That's why they have plenty of money.

You know what is really dumb about most big homes? Most are likely plumbed and dryer vented for 1 washer and 1 dryer while having 4 or 5 bedrooms for a Brady Bunch sized family.

Some people like me do laundry on different days so 1 washer and 1 dryer is just fine.

Some people like me do laundry on different days so 1 washer and 1 dryer is just fine.
We're a family of 5 and we're doing laundry almost constantly during waking hours.

I don't think doubling up on machines would help, but I think industrial machines would.

We're a family of 5 and we're doing laundry almost constantly during waking hours.

I don't think doubling up on machines would help, but I think industrial machines would.

Family of 5 here as well and with kids in different activities. Lots of laundry and we have a washer and dryer on the first floor and a set in the basement as well as another in the MIL addition. The addition set doesn’t get used much but it’s nice to have 2 sets to really grind through some laundry when needed. I wish we had a set on the 2nd floor where the 3 kids’ rooms are to not have to deal with stairs. If we ever move and build, that’ll be figured in the layout.

Family of 5 here as well and with kids in different activities. Lots of laundry and we have a washer and dryer on the first floor and a set in the basement as well as another in the MIL addition. The addition set doesn’t get used much but it’s nice to have 2 sets to really grind through some laundry when needed. I wish we had a set on the 2nd floor where the 3 kids’ rooms are to not have to deal with stairs. If we ever move and build, that’ll be figured in the layout.
For me it's the sheets. If one of the small ones has an accident it throws the cycle off by a day.

For a big industrial machine sheets, blankets, and all would just be one load.

That's why they have plenty of money.

You may want to take a second look reference the "South Dakota Oil Boom". South Dakota never had an oil boom, nor did South Dakota obtain bountiful revenue for the state coffers from the oil wells it does have.

South Dakota has the most financially sound state (my opinion) of all 50 states because of the values of the residents of the state of South Dakota. I don't want to go into a subject that is not allowed on BITOG, but I will say the state does not spend or reward to excess from the work of lobbyists and other groups. South Dakota has one of the highest employment participation rates in the nation (which is very different then unemployment rate). South Dakota does have a huge financial services market for the ultra-wealthy. The ultra-wealthy can park their riches in South Dakota without their riches being disclosed- similar to what rich people have done in places like the Cayman Islands.

Here is what you may have possibly thought was South Dakota (North Dakota).

Reactions: pbm
Back