Westinghouse 9500DF won't power up

Hello WylieCoyote,

I’m having the exact same issue with my new WGEN9500DF. I was wondering if you could share with me how you replaced the run stop sending
It's been over a year, so can't remember the details, but start with the four bolts holding the control panel on the generator and pull it outward. From there you'll see what else has to be removed to access the back of the switch.

Thank you! So, while switching out the run/stop switch I noticed that this red wire from the starter ??? I think , is not connected. Do you know where this connects to?

Hello WylieCoyote,

I’m having the exact same issue with my new WGEN9500DF. I was wondering if you could share with me how you replaced the run stop sending
My 2 yo genset also would not “light up” but will start with pull start and turn off with switch. Ordered on-off switch ($1.00 + $10.00 shipping) and a few days later got the wrong part. It was nearly twice as big with larger plugs for the wires. Called, twice and now they are sending a new (narrow) switch. Will advise when it arrives. You “may” be able to remove the switch without having to remove cover and backing cover by sliding a thin bladed flat screwdriver on the top and bottom of switch because it just snaps in on the sides. Not hard to remove covers, but the back cove screws are nuts so be careful not to drop them or the little washers.

My 2 yo genset also would not “light up” but will start with pull start and turn off with switch. Ordered on-off switch ($1.00 + $10.00 shipping) and a few days later got the wrong part. It was nearly twice as big with larger plugs for the wires. Called, twice and now they are sending a new (narrow) switch. Will advise when it arrives. You “may” be able to remove the switch without having to remove cover and backing cover by sliding a thin bladed flat screwdriver on the top and bottom of switch because it just snaps in on the sides. Not hard to remove covers, but the back cove screws are nuts so be careful not to drop them or the little washers.

Attachments

• IMG_9745.jpeg
    IMG_9745.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 38
Got the narrow version of the start/stop switch. Tight squeeze but got it plugged in and all is right with the world again. I removed cover plate (4 screws) an the top nuts to the interior cover plate plus one lower on the bottom right to grain enough play to access the switch. They had it zip tied in place as well and the clip on the plug. Cut the zip and removed/replaced. All done!

Just to add to the thread: I've been helping a friend with his WGen9500df.

His first and most serious problem was that the compression release on the camshaft failed, with some corresponding internal destruction. The automatic start system didn't recognize that the starter motor was under heavy load which burnt the windings. Finally the recoil starter rope broke, delaying figuring out the underlying problem.

A few months after that problem, the remote and panel pushbutton automatic start system failed. The problem was identical to the other postings: water intrusion into the switch caused the contacts to fail. He usually kept the generator under cover, but needed to open it for running. There is a constant +12V in the switch, so even a drop of water wicked into the switch will result in rapid corrosion and little opportunity to dry out.

The first time I swapped contact sides on the DPDT switch (the engine kill side uses only the 'off' contacts, and the radio/start side uses only the 'on' contacts of the other throw) but the problem has recurred. Eventually I'll find a better waterproofed switch, or perhaps buy the upgraded switch if it is in stock when the problem happens again.

Note that once you know this is a problem, it's easy to confirm by checking the voltage on the 7 pin ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) connector.

Last edited:
Back