Were vehicles ever available with manual disc brakes?

I'm not aware of manual disc brakes, only manual drums back in the 60s and earlier.

Another fellow was saying he remembers manual discs, but I don't.

Servo action of drums requiring lower pressure, but disc needs higher pressure, therefore boosted is what I always believed.

Two come to mind immediately:

1 - 1970 442 W30 with a 4 speed, the camshaft used in the manual transmission engine did not produce enough vacuum at idle to operate the booster. AT equipped W30's had a milder cam so power disc was an option. With the MT only manual disc was available.
2 - My 1977 Dodge D100 had front disc brakes that were manual. They were fine, yes medium effort required but not severe.

The issue, as you likely know, is the lack of servo action on disc brakes means higher pedal effort.

By "manual" do you mean no power assist?

If so, I have them on my MGB-disks in the front and drums in the back. They picked up power assist in 75, but honestly I don't notice a ton of difference in pedal feel. The ratio also changed so there's less pedal travel, but it's not really any easier to push.

Several other British cars of the era also had front disks without assist. The MGA Twin Cam and Deluxe(which is basically a Twin Cam with a standard 1600 engine) has 4 wheel disks without assist.

When you have a 2000 or 2500lb car, it's not a big deal to not have it. The first time I drove the MG, it definitely felt like it wouldn't stop, but I adjusted to the brakes pretty quickly and now don't really notice the lack of assist. In fact I get jumpy if push the pedal and it starts to feel soft(and I've driven a few other peoples cars that downright scared me at how soft their pedal was...)

When the factory added 2 more cylinders in cast iron(and 200 extra pounds forward of the front axle) along with a bunch of other stuff to support it in the MGC, they added boosters. The MGB GT V8 also had them-it's actually not much heavier than a 4 cylinder MGB GT but has bigger brakes.

I owned a 74 Marina for a little while back a few years ago(and had my ups and downs with that car). The ugly US spec one weighs about 3000lbs, or at least my auto transmission one did by the door plate. I never did a ton with the brakes(other than freeing up stuck rear drums) but it definitely has front disks. I forget what they cross reference to, although I think the brake set-up on one is pretty much bolt-on to a Morris Minor. I don't recall ever having to mess with a booster, and looking at my photos of the engine bay I don't see any obvious one nor do I see any obvious vacuum lines that would run to one. The few times I drove, the brakes were the one thing that worked perfectly fine and I don't recall pedal effort being especially high.

EDIT: Never mind on the Marina-it does have a booster. I don't know how I missed the vac line on mine, and I looked at a few other photos of ones that show the booster.

Well, I've been schooled!

All my early 80s VWs with zero options had vacuum boosted discs. Several cars I had didn't even have power steering, didn't really notice much.

Well, I've been schooled!

All my early 80s VWs with zero options had vacuum boosted discs. Several cars I had didn't even have power steering, didn't really notice much.
My first few cars didn't have power steering. The '83 S10 preceded my first new car, an '01 Saturn, which had manual steering--but power brakes. I didn't approve of that, felt the car would have been better with non-power assist brakes. The S10, crude as it was, left me wishing for manual brakes on light cars, as it had a more linear feel. Oh well, PB&PS ever since, along with PW&PL, although none of them have had a "power" engine option I guess.

Did lose RKE on the last one, but didn't notice it that much, and haven't missed it.

Manual as in no vacuum boost?

We had a 1979 Ford Granada 2dr in the family that had front disks, rear drums w/ no vacuum boost. It took some pedal pressure to stop for sure.

My jeep had manual disk, not sure if factory as i purchased it used. also armstrong power steering, i added power steering and power brakes.

My sister's '79 Mustang, and my '78 Monza had manual disk/drum. I didn't notice them requiring a lot of effort, just more pedal travel, for whatever reason.

Had a 83 S10 with manual brakes, disc up front.

My dad had an 1988 GMC S15 with zero options he bought used when I was a kid. No power steering nor brakes. disc front, drum rear. No AC. The old "stick and no air" Had vent levers under the dash and air flaps could open and let air flow in really good. Had an aftermarket rear sliding window and tubular rear bumper and a sunroof added on.

My dad gave it to my elder brother for his first vehicle. I borrowed it from him and removed the sunroof. I didn't reinstall the sunroof correctly and when he went to tilt it up, it blew out and shattered.

That was the truck my dad taught us how to drive.

My dad's 71 Chevy C10 had manual front disc brakes. Mechanical advantage was maximized with very long brake pedals and of course playing with the piston size of the master cylinder and of course brake caliper pistons.

My dad had an 1988 GMC S15 with zero options he bought used when I was a kid. No power steering nor brakes. disc front, drum rear. No AC. The old "stick and no air" Had vent levers under the dash and air flaps could open and let air flow in really good. Had an aftermarket rear sliding window and tubular rear bumper and a sunroof added on.
Mine had some air vents in the wheel wells. Aftermarket, installed by Mother Nature, but she screwed up and there was no vent door to close on them.

Back