WEP hangs on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

I get it. Must be the same people who are subject to credit card identity theft. Ignorance is bliss
LOL.gif
grin2.gif

It really isn't the same comparison. You don't lose much other than bandwidth if you have firewall on your PC, compare to your ISP not blocking ports across intra-subnet traffic.

The alternative to having too strong of a security is to have people call you all the time and tells you that the wireless connection is not working (i.e my father in law who refuse to listen and has ADD). To him I'll just leave everything wide open and lock down the connection to his laptops' MAC only. If you don't open his network he'll just use his neighbor's open network, and whine until you give in.

I was in France for couple of weeks last April. They take wifi security seriously.

From my 10th story hotel window in Paris, Net Stumbler found just over 100 wifi signals. All but 1 were encrypted.

I spent most of the trip on a riverboat going down the Saone and Rhone Rivers. I tried my netbook at each stop and several times as we traveled down the rivers. Anytime there were many building near the shore I usually saw some signal, but always encrypted. I did run across one more unencrypted signal toward the south end of the trip. About 99% of the wifi I saw was encrypted.

Yup. The 2wire junk is what the local telco seems to be installing for DSL, with WEP enabled by default. *lots* of the users have absolutely no idea there's even wireless built into them, and go out and buy add-on WAP's.

Originally Posted By: pitzel
Yup. The 2wire junk is what the local telco seems to be installing for DSL, with WEP enabled by default. *lots* of the users have absolutely no idea there's even wireless built into them, and go out and buy add-on WAP's.

The modems actually work pretty good. It is (in our case) BELL's settings that are the problem.

hmm no problems with both of my 2wire units. The one at the old house, and the one at my new house. Not my problem if people are too lazy to type in an IP addy and adjust settings. For me it's not having to worry about my D-Link rotor deciding to reset every few hours for no reason. Signal with the 2wire is 10x better than was my Dlink..

Originally Posted By: Buffman

hmm no problems with both of my 2wire units. The one at the old house, and the one at my new house. Not my problem if people are too lazy to type in an IP addy and adjust settings. For me it's not having to worry about my D-Link rotor deciding to reset every few hours for no reason. Signal with the 2wire is 10x better than was my Dlink..

Now THAT is a junk product! (D-Link) !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back