went synthetic and now it burns... what have i done???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frequent oil filter changes will often correct increased post-changeover oil consumption. Once engine deposits disappear, oil consumption rates should return to normal or lower than normal rates providing there are no mechanical problems.

If you truly have a seal leak, you might want to try two AutoRX applications. However, given you are only at the equivalent of about 71,000 miles, I doubt you will need two applications.

What kind of vehicle is this, by the way?

The syn.oil probably washed the natural "dino-seals" away, it's probably not "burning" oil, but perhaps "leaking/seeping".
My car went thru the same thing, when I went to syn from oil at 75k. However, Arx and syn. didn't help either.
Onlly going back to dino and HM oils and using VSOT finally stopped oil "consumption". Took a long time to find the correct combo fro my Tbird. Now it doesn't lose/burn any oil per 5k miles or so.

My advice:
Go back to dino/HM oils. stay away from syn.oil, and use VSOT to help stop consumption.
not all cars benefit from syn.oil. I'd rather use dino, and have my oil actually in the engine. Good dinos protect as good as some syn.oils probably.

I had the same problem when i switched to synthetic at 75,000 on my mustang. I freaked too. What i did was change the oil to a different synthetic. I was using mobil 1. Now i use pennzoil platnium. Your car will burn some oil for the first 3,000 to 5,000 miles with synthetic so don't worry. Give it some time and it will go away. Mine did.

quote:

Originally posted by bobo:
Isn't VSOT a synthetic oil treatment? Why would you use that with dino oil to help stop oil consumption?

it may have synthetic components, or the word "synpower" is lightly used, and perhaps the content of syn. material is very little
dunno.gif
I don't know, but it worked in my application, just like for many others who've added it to dino or HM oils.
And I don't think the word "Synpower" is meant as in "FOR syn.oil" or "TO USE WITH syn.oil"; I think it means that it(vsot) HAS syn.components.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by dc2r:
i'm still reading the auto-rx site... it's telling me in the instructions for seal leaks auto-rx should only be used with regular dino oil and not synthetic. and this includes all subsequent oil changes afterwards?

No. Once you have completed the final rinse phase you can go back to using synthetic.

so the auto-rx instructions are incorrect? it clearly states not to use synthetic anymore
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by bobo:
If you truly have a seal leak, you might want to try two AutoRX applications. However, given you are only at the equivalent of about 71,000 miles, I doubt you will need two applications.

What kind of vehicle is this, by the way?

it is a toyota 1uz-fe 32v dohc v8 vvt-i.

quote:

Originally posted by sanitarium16:
I had the same problem when i switched to synthetic at 75,000 on my mustang. I freaked too. What i did was change the oil to a different synthetic. I was using mobil 1. Now i use pennzoil platnium. Your car will burn some oil for the first 3,000 to 5,000 miles with synthetic so don't worry. Give it some time and it will go away. Mine did.

i've had poor results with mobil 1 in the past as well. maybe it's just me i don't know. in my old 1998 integra type-r i would get mad blowby if i kept getting into the vtec range too much... i would be down to a 1/4 on the dipstick after 2000kms/1200mi. motul 3800 stopped that.

but in this case motul may not have been a good idea...

with all the replies i've received i'm not sure what to do... maybe i should post a poll:

1. do the auto-rx treatment
2. keep going with synthetic and hope it will clear up on it's own
3. go back to dino oil

dunno.gif

Sounds like a problem i had with my 96 lincoln town car i ran regular 10-w30 pennzoil for most of it's 145K miles at about 139k i started using castrol syntec and a couple of days later it started to smoke like a chimney! It's so bad that it burns a qt every 350-400 miles. Havent got around to fixing it been driving my camry for the past 8 months. Hopefully the pennzoil didnt leave any sludge like it did my old f-150 and my dads silverado

This case is an example of why I never change brands or types in midstream for no good reason. After 300,000 miles on conventional, I still don't use any and have no engine troubles. If it's not burning,leaking,smoking or making bad sounds, why change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back