Went against my better judgement today.

Wife has some friends over for Easter. I got tasked with smoking a trip tip. Since that takes a while I grabbed keys and started checking oil levels.

2 years ago I put a water pump on this girls liberty. She was driving and the water pump locked up, sheared the shaft, pulley came off. She noticed that the PS had quit but continued to keep driving it till it locked up

I was sure that it was cooked,dropped valve seats etc.

After I put the pump on it,it seemed to run ok. 2 years later it's still going.

I also changed the oil when I did the water pump.

She has not had it changed since!

I found it 3 qts low and unknown miles since I last changed it. Fortunately uses a 3/4 x16 filter,same as my Jeep and the FJ.

I also have cases of 10w-30.

So that's what it got today. Summer is around the corner so I'm not worried about 10w-30 in it. Cap says 5w-20.

Also rotated the tires....needs front pads soon.

If it blows up tomorrow it will be my fault I'm sure as no good deed goes unpunished.

IMG_20220417_085514305.jpg
IMG_20220417_095439009.jpg

3 quarts low ?

You don’t check oil level when adding windshield washer fluid ?

I do every 3 weeks.

👍

30 was the original oil for that engine.

Seems like someone is resistant to common sense....your wife's friend, not you!

Tell her that oil is like make up, cloths, she'll be checking it for sure, as she must have the latest cosmetics, wardrobe to function in the real world.

Many choices, flavors, shades.

TOMB

3 quarts low ?

I do every 3 weeks.
Check mine once a month, but every three weeks is good. I'm never worried about oil burning in the 2.0

3 quarts low ?

I do every 3 weeks.
Never bother checking the oil level anymore. Car holds 7.5-8.5 quarts of oil and I get a warning message on the dash if it's a quart low.

Yeah, I stopped working on other peoples cars. The last time was the last time and that was over 30 years ago(complete tuneup). Their car was running like :poop:

I bought the parts and they paid me for them…After the tuneup, the engine was running well.
Less that a week later they were blaming me for their car running poorly…again. So I rechecked my work.

As it turned out, this new problem(worn cam) was completely unrelated to the tuneup that I had done previously and coincidentally this had occurred. But they never trusted me again and believe what they believe, that I caused their new problem.

So now, no one gets to take advantage of my goodness except my daughter.

Last edited:
Well, a good deed is a good deed, no matter what someone else thinks of it. Good on you for helping her out and good on that 3.7l for living through the abuse.

3.7 seems to be a very durable engine. I've seen a lot of abused examples that still made it to high mileage.

Back