Weird windows behavior

Hey folks:

I'm having a strange windows issue.

Instead of going to sleep - the computer sits and "beeps" like a USB device is being connected and disconnected. The screen shuts off.

For some reason, the Start menu doesn't work either. (You have to right click it).

Could a bad mouse or keyboard be causing this?

I have Backblaze installed - it never caused any issues before. I'm wondering if a bad USB device is causing it.

Do you have any USB devices plugged into the USB hub/ports of your monitor?

Some basics:

Open up a Command Prompt with administrator rights.
Type in sfc /scannow and hit Enter, let it run.
Type in chkdsk c: /f , hit Enter, and agree to let it run at reboot. Then close the Command window and restart your computer. Let it run the disk file scan. Should only take a minute or two unless its an old system or something's really hosed.

And if it's a Dell or HP or something, it may have onboard diagnostics available at boot. You'll have to look into the documentation online to see how to run that.

If not, you can at least run the Windows memory scan: https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how-to-test-your-computers-ram-for-problems/

thanks...no issues with the check disk or sfc.

the monitor is connected via DVI, not usb.

I probably used the wrong term when I said sleep - it won't lock. It used to lock after a time, and require me to enter the system pin. now the screen just dims and the USB connect and disconnect sounds.

that lead me to think I had a bad USB device. I replaced the mouse, and no change. I'm going to try a new keyboard.

what is also odd - if open, Itunes changes window size (from maximized to a smaller window), and the start menu stops working.

I have checked display driver, and anything other software issues I can think of.

my other thought is that backblaze is preventing a lock so backups can occur during downtime - but it is strange for this to start within the last month or so. (I have had backblaze for years, and have not updated the software).

It's a home build - so it is relatively decrapified from any OEM software weirdness.

Back