Weight Required to Balance Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
........As to my other question - is a string of 16 weights really the best way to balance this assembly?....

Part of the problem - if I've understood your posts correctly - is that they are hiding the weights behind the spokes. That moves the weights inboard and sometimes requires weights to be placed in a less than optimal position - and that results in needing more weight.

But since you are going to seek out a GSP9700, if they find an assembly they can identify as suspect, have them measure the wheel for conventional weight placement - just a measurement - and while they are at it, measure the "bare rim". There is a setting for that. CAUTION: Most folks don't know how to interpret the "bare rim" results. Hunter mistakenly thinks that 0.026" is an acceptable amount of runout for a rim. A new unused rim ought to be within 0.005" - with 0.012" as acceptable.

About a month ago I bought some 13 inch wheels with 155/80's off off a Metro from the PNP. After I got home I realized the tread was fubared.. the tread has dips in certain spots almost like the car was setting on poles. Ran them anyway but shook like crazy over 55. Yesterday thinking of this thread I decided to see what weights it had on it. Had 3 ounces on each side of each tire! Decided to pop those suckers off what could it hurt? Only got up to 65 this morning but it was smooth sailing till the turns and that was only a small amount of shaking. Still little noisy but without the shaking it's tolerable, have a bad wheel bearing so can't tell. Not sure what they were thinking putting that much weight on 13's but I know they came from Firestone and it doesn't surprise me.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Originally Posted By: Button
Just a heads up I had CS4's for 3 weeks & got rid of them because they would never balance & cause my steering wheel to bobble @ highway speeds.

It is a mistake to assume that balance is the only thing to cause the tire to shake. I bet the tires were balanced fine, but shook either due to being out of round or radial force variation (stiffer sidewall on one part of the tire & softer on another part). It took seven Goodyear TripleTred tires to find four round enough to run smoothly on my car, and all were balanced fine. They were just made egg-shaped.

It is common the tyre is not perfectly round due to mishandling during transport. It may takes up to 1000 miles to settle and remove the bobble, and then it can be determined whether the tyre vibration is acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back