Weeping sandstone at Glen Canyon Dam

wwillson

Staff member
I have read about the leaky sandstone at Glen Canyon Dam, but haven't been there for 40 years. I had the opportunity today to take these pictures. What you can't see is the collector at the bottom of the leaking wall that dumps into the river. I would say the flow rate is 10 gallons/second, but that was my guess from the top of the canyon.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I love dams, and understand how and why they work, and that there are safety inspections and all that, but... My monkey brain always has rattling around in it somewhere when I'm around them, that small thought of 'what if it breaks right now'.

Like a couple of years ago when I was on top of the Fontana dam, they've sliced completely through it top to bottom now in order to relieve the concrete because it is undergoing a chemical reaction that is causing it to swell and if they don't, it will buckle. I always have the 'I should get out of here' thought.

I still love them though and go stop by them any chance I get.

Great pics @wwillson !!

Looks like there are fractures in the sandstone. In any case the Glen Canyon dam has worse problems but they are only an issue when the dam is full, something that has not happened since 1983.

My monkey brain always has rattling around in it somewhere when I'm around them, that small thought of 'what if it breaks right now'.
I do the same thing. Dams really are feats of engineering.

Come to think of it, I have similar feelings towards the chaos happening inside of an internal combustion engine.

Back