Weed preventer that doubles as a weed killer?

After a couple of decades of owning a home in the desert, I have finally decided to use a weed preventer. I have a large backyard, probably between 1/3 and 1/2 acre. Anyways, I saw this product at Lowes: https://preen.com/products/preen-extended-control-weed-preventer/

The website says to remove weeds first, that it does not kill them, but it does prevent new weeds from growing.

(1) Does anyone know of a good product that does both? After all the rain we've had in CA the past couple months, weeds are alive and well in my backyard.

(2) If I can't find a combo product that does both, does anyone have any recommendations for a weed preventer? Anything better than Preen?

You are looking for something labeled as pre emergent and post emergent. I’m using RM43

The choice of product depends on what you are planning to do. A good source of information would be your County extension agent.

Well the price is right, that's for sure. And it is easy enough to apply.

I take it you have used it before, and are satisfied with the product?

You are looking for something labeled as pre emergent and post emergent. I’m using RM43

Being in the desert, I don’t think you have a regular, grass backyard, at least I would not expect it.

This kills everything: 1 gal of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of salt and a few drops of dish soap.

If you have vegetation in your backyard other than grass and want to kill weeds, then the choices are probably very specific, as most weed killers work on broad leaf vegetation, thus save grass.

I do have a mulberry tree that is I dunno 25 feet tall? Plenty of branches. Trunk looks about 18 inches diameter.

I have one other shrub several feet tall that I do want to keep, but that is to one side of the yard, so I can keep the product that I do end up applying, a few feet away from those two plants, if I need to.

OK, there are native desert shrubs in the yard as well. Spaced out several feet apart. I suppose I would try to keep them, but if one of them died I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Being in the desert, I don’t think you have a regular, grass backyard, at least I would not expect it.

This kills everything: 1 gal of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of salt and a few drops of dish soap.

If you have vegetation in your backyard other than grass and want to kill weeds, then the choices are probably very specific, as most weed killers work on broad leaf vegetation, thus save grass.

That sounds cheaper than the RM43, but how long will that solution keep weeds out? The RM43 claims "up to a year," sounds like if I apply it in spring time it should last till late fall.

Last edited:
That sounds cheaper than the RM43, but how long will that solution keep weeds out? The RM43 claims "up to a year," sounds like if I apply it in spring time it should last till late fall.

I’ve used it mostly on driveways, patio stones and pathways where you don’t want anything growing and it seems effective for about a year. I have to spot treat some pop ups here and there.

I would imagine if you soak the ground along with the plant you want gone, it may prolong its effectiveness.

Well the price is right, that's for sure. And it is easy enough to apply.

I take it you have used it before, and are satisfied with the product?

I bought this on Amazon and it’s very strong for killing weeds.

Last edited:
On the instruction video, they say to cut it down to 6 inches. Have you NOT done this, and found it effective? I can cut the taller parts down, but if I could get 95% of the effectiveness when not doing that, I'd probably skip it.

Back