Web pages misaligned:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HP Desktop Model No. p6670t. A few websites, or pages, show up misaligned, such as overlapping paragraphs, and/or links covering other words. I have a laptop (Dell XPS 17) that is even worse at this. Both have Windows 7 Home Premium. Any good ideas would be appreciated since I'm not a computer wizz. BITOG shows up just fine, with no so problem. Thanks a bunch.

Try a different web browser: Chrome, Firefox or Opera are good places to start.

I assume you're currently using Internet Explorer?

Thanks for the several replies. FF is my default browser but I looked at the website I was having alignment problems with I looked at them with IE9 and they are just fine with this browser.
Again, thanks for the replies.

its probably from either windows zooming the text or the browser

try using control and + or - keys to change the zoom in the browser.

Originally Posted By: krholm
I have an HP Desktop Model No. p6670t. A few websites, or pages, show up misaligned, such as overlapping paragraphs, and/or links covering other words. I have a laptop (Dell XPS 17) that is even worse at this. Both have Windows 7 Home Premium. Any good ideas would be appreciated since I'm not a computer wizz. BITOG shows up just fine, with no so problem. Thanks a bunch.

Trust me it's not your PC, or the website it's FF. I used FF a lot on my older XP system because it was much faster than IE and I would sometimes have this problem while IE displayed the page fine. I went into FF and tried various adjustments and they didn't work.

I now have a new Dell Desktop with Windows 7 (ordered intentionally that way rather than the default Windows 8). I use the latest version of FF (version 19) and it's much better and so far have only ran into one website where part of the page was cutoff.

azjake: "Trust me it's not your PC, or the website it's FF. I used FF a lot on my older XP system because it was much faster than IE and I would sometimes have this problem while IE displayed the page fine. I went into FF and tried various adjustments and they didn't work.

I now have a new Dell Desktop with Windows 7 (ordered intentionally that way rather than the default Windows 8). I use the latest version of FF (version 19) and it's much better and so far have only ran into one website where part of the page was cutoff".
-----------------------------------------

It appears that the latest version of FF was causing this problem. In IE9 all web pages are in proper alignment. I'll still use FF because I like it, but a few sites I use I'll go to via IE9.
Thanks to each of you. krh

Last edited by a moderator:
IE, Firefox and Chrome all use different rendering engines, and when web developers are setting up their CSS (Cascading Style Sheets; basically one central document that defines things like fonts, line spacing, colours, positions and what-not, so that your entire site can simply reference this document. This means that when you want to change an element of your site's layout, you do NOT have to go and edit some lines of code in the 1,000 pages on your site: You simply change your CSS file(s) and immediately the entire site reflects the change) they have to do a alarming amount of work to accommodate the separate parts of the CSS specifications that each rendering engine does NOT conform to. Each of these rendering engines has tags that only it knows how to parse, and some browsers (cough, IE, cough) blatantly ignore major sections of the CSS spec.

It happens, then, sometimes, that developers will code a site either with generic CSS code or with code that caters only to the rendering engine they are using directly (this happens a lot with developers using Mac's and Safari or Chrome) and not realizing that font kerning, positioning and all sorts of other things look different in these differing rendering engines. All you need is for something to be improperly positioned by a few pixels on the screen before you start running into situations where something overlaps something else - or worse, bumps something else out of the way or onto a new line - and you, in very short order and due to something that might seem innocuous enough to even get by someone auditing the code, have a complete mess on your hands. A lot of my time spent developing sites is spent troubleshooting these rendering discrepancies; even after having been aware of them for years. It is enormously frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back