The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
..."

--Major John McCrae (MD)
First Brigade of the Canadian Field Artillery
May, 1915 (2nd Battle of Ypres)

I had a short discussion with a PhD candidate at Washington University in St. Louis two years ago on the wearing of thhe poppy. She said it celebrated war. I told her she was a fool and I don't talk to fools. I told you it was short. Great, evocative poem. So many have given us what we have today. And so many others either don't remember or actively want to tear it down. If it were only the young we could do what many wise animals do and eat them. The older ones though, there should be a bounty on them.

My grandfather was an amazing veteran of WWII combat as well as Redstone service. He was even more amazing as a thinker. He said time and again, "I fought to stop Hitler & the Japs and for you to stop it from happening again". He was very specific to value college education, civic involvement and debate. He never like the term "War Memorial" and always thought that no matter how much we disagree with the "person in charge" (many presidents), that we have to follow the process for change. He tried to explain gerrymandering to me as a young man but now I understand clearly how it struck worry.

He came from Poland, grew up dirt poor in Jersey, didnt speak a word of English until highschool. He was exceedingly friendly and welcoming to the Mexican immigrants as the ethnicity of his Milwaukee neighborhood changed in the 1990's. He loved hearing their language and broken English. He saw it as America providing the space and opportunity for the next group of immigrants. No anger, no hard feelings on his part. I was amazed. He had every reason to claim this land as only his and he didnt.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
I had a short discussion with a PhD candidate at Washington University in St. Louis two years ago on the wearing of thhe poppy. She said it celebrated war. I told her she was a fool and I don't talk to fools.

Impressive debating skills. You crushed her with your logic.

I had a short discussion with a PhD candidate at Washington University in St. Louis two years ago on the wearing of thhe poppy. She said it celebrated war. I told her she was a fool and I don't talk to fools. I told you it was short. Great, evocative poem. So many have given us what we have today. And so many others either don't remember or actively want to tear it down. If it were only the young we could do what many wise animals do and eat them. The older ones though, there should be a bounty on them.
If she doesn't appreciate what our military does-maybe she would be more comfortable wearing the burka under Sharia law?? Women are SLIGHTLY better off here!

thanks to our canadian neighbor friends who also served in many conflicts besides us and those who continue to keep the watch.

thanks to all those worldwide who also have given to our freedoms

Here's a much better poppy poem from WWI.

"Break of Day in the Trenches

The darkness crumbles away
It is the same old druid Time as ever,
Only a live thing leaps my hand,
A [qweer] sardonic rat,
As I pull the parapet's poppy
To stick behind my ear.
Droll rat, they would shoot you if they knew
Your cosmopolitan sympathies,
Now you have touched this English hand
You will do the same to a German
Soon, no doubt, if it be your pleasure
To cross the sleeping green between.
It seems you inwardly grin as you pass
Strong eyes, fine limbs, haughty athletes,
Less chanced than you for life,
Bonds to the whims of murder,
Sprawled in the bowels of the earth,
The torn fields of France.
What do you see in our eyes
At the shrieking iron and flame
Hurled through still heavens?
What quaver -what heart aghast?
Poppies whose roots are in men's veins
Drop, and are ever dropping;
But mine in my ear is safe,
Just a little white with the dust.

- Isaac Rosenberg"

misspelling to bypass filter

Last edited:

Somebody didn't agree with you, so you refused to talk to her and advocate that people like her should be killed.
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
I think that your attitude would have been perfect in the Nazi party or in ISIS today.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Somebody didn't agree with you, so you refused to talk to her and advocate that people like her should be killed.
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
I think that your attitude would have been perfect in the Nazi party or in ISIS today.

I think he was being honest...with a bit of exaggeration for good measure.

Perhaps you are taking what he posted far too literally?

Is it much better to say that somebody would be suited to be part of Isis or the Nazis?

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Is it much better to say that somebody would be suited to be part of Isis or the Nazis?

I don't know...maybe we could set up a poll?

Just amazing for somebody to have such a totalitarian attitude while celebrating those who defend freedom. I sure didn't see humor in his post, just bile.

Just amazing for somebody to have such a totalitarian attitude while celebrating those who defend freedom. I sure didn't see humor in his post, just bile.

It was a bit much...but I would attribute his over zealous nature to his passionate support of veterans. At least I would hope so.

The more I read about WWI the more I want to shake my head.

When all the heroisam and glory is put aside I can only think of the horrible WASTE!

You poor misguided, overly sensitive, pedantic person, it is an obvious exaggeration! I should have taken time give you some context but I'm not of a mind too now. Were you offended by my supposed micro-aggression? Please accept my apologies for your too-precious feelings. Please tell us more about your care for and service to your country. Are you offended by patriotism in general? Does it show an unthinking regard for country and those who died for it that is indicative of a lower thinking, less well educated human? Are your ideas virtually always superior to the rabble? My guess is that they are and that the world could enter into a new utopian phase if only your ilk would be IN CHARGE. I cry for you lot. You are so open minded in your over-sensitivity that your brains have leaked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back