How the grinch stole Sturgis...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that some people think that they should live in a perfect little world where everything goes just how they want with no disruptions or intrusions into there life. Well I got some real bad news for ya, This aint no perfect world and you got to learn to live with some disruptions and certain people that you cant stand, They,we,I, arent going away anytime soon.
Maybe you just need to face your fears and discover a new world with a different class of people that ride a different kind of bike. You might just suprize yourself.

FLHR Gator...

Your friend on the Triumph gets respect at biker hangouts because Triumphs are well accepted by true bikers... Triumphs, like Harley Davidsons, have soul.

Triumphs never tried to be anything they weren't... they have character, and individual style, like Harley Davidsons.

The metrics, on the other hand, are pretty much wanna-be's, whether they'll admit it or not, the fact doesn't change.

I'll make a concession for the Honda Valkyrie, though... that bike has class and personality. The Honda Rune is pretty much a joke... but the Valkyrie is a very nice bike that doesn't look like it's trying to be something it's not.
wink.gif

2003-Honda-GL1500C-Valkyriea.jpg

Dan

Originally Posted By: fuel tanker man
FLHR Gator...

Your friend on the Triumph gets respect at biker hangouts because Triumphs are well accepted by true bikers... Triumphs, like Harley Davidsons, have soul.

Triumphs never tried to be anything they weren't... they have character, and individual style, like Harley Davidsons.

The metrics, on the other hand, are pretty much wanna-be's, whether they'll admit it or not, the fact doesn't change.

I'll make a concession for the Honda Valkyrie, though... that bike has class and personality. The Honda Rune is pretty much a joke... but the Valkyrie is a very nice bike that doesn't look like it's trying to be something it's not.
wink.gif

Dan

Oh, Puuuuleze....

Tell me, do HD snobs practice that arrogant, condescending sneer in front of the bathroom mirror?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: andrewg
...I have friends who ride Harleys....

Ever notice how "Harleyphobes" sound just like the other racists and bigots in our society? Their stereotypes and generalizations are just based on the brand of motorcycle someone rides rather than skin color.

Each brand of bikes has a following and there are many good features on them. On this board we treat each other with respect and understand that you are free to ride what you want and/or can afford. This is not a place to bash or put down another member. If you feel that you must continue to make negative comments concerning other peoples choice of bikes then let me know and I will give you a saucer of milk and send you on your way.

Originally Posted By: hr1940
Each brand of bikes has a following and there are many good features on them. On this board we treat each other with respect and understand that you are free to ride what you want and/or can afford. This is not a place to bash or put down another member. If you feel that you must continue to make negative comments concerning other peoples choice of bikes then let me know and I will give you a saucer of milk and send you on your way.

Thanks for that!!

I don't want respect from guys like you. I must admit that when I see a dweeb on a metric HD copy, I think "powder puff."

:D

When I see a dirt bag on a HD I just think they're too chicken .... to ride something other than what the rest of the herd is riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
FLHR Gator...

wink.gif

2003-Honda-GL1500C-Valkyriea.jpg

Dan

More useless blather. Anyone who believes a machine has a soul has been brainwashed. Hmmmmmmmmmm, do I see a pattern here?

No machine has "soul" that's a property given to living things with comprehensive and cognitive abilities. Labeling a machine as having "soul" is no more than a marketing ploy to get people to buy a product that will fill a void in one's personality or to boost one's self perception. It's no more than an image massaging exercise.

A machine should be measured by it's ability to accomplish what it's designed to do. A motorcycle in my view, regardless of brand and designated style, should be responsive, relatively powerful, nimble handling, comfortable and above all reliable.

As measured by the above criteria (real world), metrics (including Euro bikes) are by far and large in the forefront.

Regarding the Valkyrie, class and personality are, well, subjective conclusions based on one's preferred styling. High on aesthetics, low on what really matters.

I own one for reasons that do not include the "class and personality" references above. I ride a Valkyrie for it's impressive smoothness, power, excellent handling, stone axe reliability, decent fuel economy, good comfort and technical sophistication. The fact that it's eye appealing doesn't hurt but that's waaaay down on my list of what matters. It's a unique machine and I'm fortunate to own one.

I guess you two didn't get the memo...
frown.gif

54.gif

Help me out here.

Would you be so kind as to point out where any reference was made in my post that would be considered as "bashing"?

Originally Posted By: boraticus
No machine has "soul" that's a property given to living things with comprehensive and cognitive abilities. Labeling a machine as having "soul" is no more than a marketing ploy to get people to buy a product that will fill a void in one's personality or to boost one's self perception. It's no more than an image massaging exercise.

A machine should be measured by it's ability to accomplish what it's designed to do. A motorcycle in my view, regardless of brand and designated style, should be responsive, relatively powerful, nimble handling, comfortable and above all reliable.

As measured by the above criteria (real world), metrics (including Euro bikes) are by far and large in the forefront.

Regarding the Valkyrie, class and personality are, well, subjective conclusions based on one's preferred styling. High on aesthetics, low on what really matters.

I own one for reasons that do not include the "class and personality" references above. I ride a Valkyrie for it's impressive smoothness, power, excellent handling, stone axe reliability, decent fuel economy, good comfort and technical sophistication. The fact that it's eye appealing doesn't hurt but that's waaaay down on my list of what matters. It's a unique machine and I'm fortunate to own one.

I agree completely with this post. No such subjective description of any motorized vehicle as having a 'soul' really makes any sense. Not to dismiss HD's.....or any other bike, but the bike that best fits the needs of it's owner is the most suited bike to that particular owner....be it Harley, Ducati, or Honda. But 'soul'? No way. Besides all that stuff...my comments were more based on the culture, not the machine. But in the interest of civility I'll leave it at that.

Originally Posted By: Vesparado
Apparently the two-day vacations didn't make an impression.

I trust you are not referring to my post? I've said nothing controversial for the more sensitive members. I never even brought up your scooter ride.
I like all bikes for the most part.....I also like to express my opinion when others do the same. Sort of an American thing. But I've not intended to hurt any feelings here if that's the issue.

Originally Posted By: whitesands
I've noticed that it's the scooter riders that wave the least...But it doesn't bother me at all.

you need both hands to control a 12" tire!
spankme2.gif

Jim

Originally Posted By: Jim T
Originally Posted By: whitesands
I've noticed that it's the scooter riders that wave the least...But it doesn't bother me at all.

you need both hands to control a 12" tire!
spankme2.gif

Jim

Kind of like shopping cart wheels?

I ride a 1980 Harley Fat Bob (Shovelhead) Black/polished aluminum with a little chrome. What can you tell about me based on what I ride?

If you guessed a 6'2 230lb animal lover (especially cats) who will do just about anything for his animals or his family/friends, you guessed right.

Maybe metric riders shouldn't profile and judge either. The bike I ride is my fathers and I grew up with it. He bought it in 1984 and i was born in '88. He has already told me he will give it to me some day. When I ride, I wear jeans, a helmet, and a long sleeved hooded jacket just to protect from a little road rash if I go down. No leather.

Not all Harley riders are jerks, and not all metric riders are wannabes.

FYI: When I ride, I ride with my buddy and his brother. Both of them own Honda CBR600's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back