We Got Our Very Own $50 Mobil 1 Annual Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got the $50 Mobil 1 here in beautiful, historic Hamilton, Alabama this week. Thanks to BITOG, I'll check the shelf at WM a couple times a week to see it any of this is selling.

81A58CC2-C987-465F-AD99-15CAED2A7323_zpsyrhgkhme.jpg

Mobil has gotten so much free advertising out of this stuff (it's already legendary at BITOG), they won't have to sell even a quart to have it be an economic plus for them.

I was with my bride at the local Walmart here in N.Georgia yesterday. They must have stocked this within the last week since it wasn't there the week before. I'm curious how many people are going to pay $50 for a 5 quart jug of motor oil, even if it can accomplish 20k on an OCI. Not knocking the product since it might make economic sense for those who prefer the higher priced synthetics. One change with this oil and and oil filter rated for 20k plus might save them a few bucks on a single OCI vs two OCIs.
21.gif

Quote:

I was with my bride at the local Walmart

Great set up line for a variety of responses. lol

Maybe Mobil has some magic juice; I'll be curious to see how it performs prior to making a judgment.

Last edited:
Wonder how it differs from advanced performance (15,000 mile)? Don't drive that much to ever utilize those marketing claims. Interested to see what is in it though to justify that price tag. Thanks for sharing...will have to check my Walmart next time.

They should do a father's day combo pack with nufinish or whatever that "once a year car polish" is.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Wonder how it differs from advanced performance (15,000 mile)? Don't drive that much to ever utilize those marketing claims. Interested to see what is in it though to justify that price tag. Thanks for sharing...will have to check my Walmart next time.

Its twice as much, maybe twice as good? Up to 30k?

Says guaranteed one year or $20,000 miles. I think extended performance is $15,000 miles. Almost double the price for an additional $5,000 miles? Perhaps has better wear protection data, etc? Interesting for sure.

I can change my oil 3 times a year for $36 buying Havoline from Walmart. Im sure that would be better then once a year at $50.

Its all about profits not wear, stick to what your owners manual says.

Last edited:
Haven't seen it yet up here. I think the price would keep sales down though... unless it goes on sale occasionally. I've picked up Mobil EP on sale a few times.

Not sure of the marketing advantage vs extended performance? Unless it has better wear advantages, etc. Interesting for sure.

It costs me $36 every 6500 miles (OLM OCI) using regular M1 and a FU filter. $27 M1 6 qts (Sam club) + 8.99 FU filter (WM). X2 = $72. If I went 2XOCI with that oil I'm ahead on costs. Needing 6 qts Walmart is more expensive for me than Sam's.

PQIA will do one of their excellent VOAs of this stuff sooner or later.
CCV and MRV will be especially telling along with calcium and magnesium levels.
I'd also expect nice doses of moly and boron in an oil priced at such a premium.
You really need to know the cold end numbers to speculate about the basestock blend used, although the SDS might be revealing as well.
Since this stuff is on sale, there has to be an SDS out there somewhere.
Has anyone searched for one?

Has anyone figured out if this stuff is still a Group 3 synthetic?

For roughly the same price ($10/qt) you could buy Redline.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Or I can buy M1EP on sale for $22 and run it 15k then run some $5 peak dino the last 5k.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Or I can buy M1EP on sale for $22 and run it 15k then run some $5 peak dino the last 5k.
wink.gif

But then you have to get your hands dirty and do work twice!

"Mobil1 Annual Protection: For the lazy consumer"

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
Haven't seen it yet up here. I think the price would keep sales down though... unless it goes on sale occasionally. I've picked up Mobil EP on sale a few times.

Since a regular jug of syn is hovering around the $50 mark at regular price, if M1AP ever makes it up here, perhaps $79-99? Royal Purple is pushing close to $70 so $79-99 for the M1AP is very much a possibility.

Was at Walmart yesterday. The shelves where the syn jugs are are near empty. There were a handful of QSUD 5W-30 and a couple jugs of VSP 0W-20. The conventional jugs were plentiful though. Now if Mobil is looking for suckers who will pay a premium for oil, perhaps they can ship some up here and see what happens.

I get the feeling its close to M1 @ twice the price. Pure marketing bull.
Anyone who buys it is nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back