Ways to cut open an Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a filter cutter made by OTC. Bought it at NAPA several years ago. Makes a clean cut in about 15 seconds without putting metal shavings in the filter. I ve used it on regular auto filters right up to large filters on 500hp Detroits

I've been using a cutting wheel on a Dremel tool. I won't say it works great, but it works. Definitely need safety goggles using this method. I found the cutting wheels sometimes shatter and pieces go flying, plus a lot of sparks.

I quess what it comes down to is what you are willing to pay for a tool to cut oil filters open. For me who is "CHEAP" the $5.00 swing-a-way can opener has and is working fine. Yes on some of the thick shelled filter it takes a little more elbow grease to crank the opener but in time it does work- what you really need to be careful with is the prying of the lip from the baseplate with the straight edge screwdriver- it is very easy to do a little blood drawing from your hand when you stab yourself with it!! over 50 filters cut so far and 3 to 4 stab wounds == $5.00 and a few bandaids -- like I said "CHEAP" (won't mention the cost of all the filters)

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
Paul, I think this is the cutter you should have gotten from Harbor Freight;
Oil Filter Cutter

That definitely looks like a good tool to open an oil filter, but too small for my FL1A Motorcraft filters. I think the problem is the cutter I bought does not have a super sharp blade. Now if I can figure out how to sharpen it.

If I had it do to over again though, I would stick with the hacksaw. Works great.

I use the can opener method, but it does not work that well for me. Especially with the thicker cans. Sometimes I finish the job with a hammer. I just hammer on the can near the baseplate all around the bottom. Eventually the baseplate breaks off. I am sure if anyone walked in and saw me hitting an oil filter with a hammer they would think I was a wacko.

Paul, I think this is the cutter you should have gotten from Harbor Freight;

Oil Filter Cutter

i use a pair of vise grips.i clamp the vise grips in the threaded hole and side of filter.then use a plain old hand held can opener and go around the side cutting it open.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

There are several dedicated filter can cutters out there for not too much money. Cutting filters open has been done in the aviation sector for decades. I myself have three lying around. Expected to pay $30 or so from a aviation supply house. I think Summit sells one also.

Quite a few people here seem to like to cut open their used filters to see how they held up. I have two questions...

1. How do you know that you're not damaging the filter's internals when you are pulling them out of the can?

2. How can you correctly criticize a filter if you look at the internals outside of the can? This is more in regards to the endcaps. Some people complain that E-core filters have "loose" encaps. Isn't the can itself is holding the endcaps on?

Wouldn't it be nice if they made a clear oil filter so you could see what was going on inside? Of course, it probably would still be hard to see anything with all that oil in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back