Way over inflated tires!

Couple weeks ago I took the FJ to Americas Tire for a rotate and balance.

Did not think much about it. I usually run 35psi in it's tires.

Today we went out exploring in it on some rocky and bumpy roads. The truck was absolutly beating us to death.

So I stopped thinking I would drop the pressure from 35ish to 20 to get a better ride.

When I put my gauge on the first tire it pegged the 100 psi gauge. I let air out for a very long time. Down to 30 psi which improved the ride immensely.

All 4 tires had over 100 psi in them.

Several years ago at the garage that services the busses for the city of Pittsburgh someone way over inflated a bus tire and it blew out and killed him. And many years ago when J & L Steel works was still in business a welder put a patch on a big tank and tested the repair with air pressure. It let go and killed him. Way over inflated is no joke, it is seriously dangerous. BTW the proper way to pressure test a tank is with water. If it lets go the pressure drops as soon as there is a slight release of water.

I would pursue new tires. I wouldn’t trust them after they had been filled to 100psi. I hope the wheels were steel. I‘d worry about Al wheels being damaged.

IMO the overinflation was done on purpose. Nobody can be that stupid.

Scott

My SOP is to check tire pressure and inspect for loose lugnuts anytime my car is serviced.

That's insane. I've had tires come back with too much air, but in the 40-45 PSI range. That sounds dangerous.

Are these 70psi Rated LT tires?

Many garages Super inflate when the bead doesn’t seat then release the air To normal.

Our large super singles are 200psi treads at full load they need to be around 180psi

I’ve noticed lately that every new vehicle right off the car hauler has like 40-55psi in the tires. Don’t know what’s going on there

I’ve noticed lately that every new vehicle right off the car hauler has like 40-55psi in the tires. Don’t know what’s going on there

It has been standard practice to overinflate vehicle tires going via ship, train or truck as long as I can remember. 70-80psi on ocean going vessel’s isn’t uncommon. Some cars “sit” In a spot 6 months without being looked at.

The reason for over inflation is simple, no one wants to deal with a flat tire on the dock, that’s how damage happens (Cars that can’t safely move get lifted by a forklift)

That’s why it’s the dealers responsibility to do a check of new cars to make sure there are no slow leaks/damage of any kind.

The think with Discount and America's tire, they don't fill tires by hand. They hook up their machine and set the psi and it stops when it's done. Obviously the machine was malfunctioning.

You should call and tell them, so someone doesn't get hurt.

I tell the service writer to leave the pressure as is and usually have to tell the tech to leave the psi alone also.

I filled a light truck load range E tire with a max sidewall pressure of 80 psi to 110 psi, because the gauge was inaccurate. I didn't realize it was over inflated until my TPMS warned of excessive pressure. I shudder to think how it could have turned out had the gauge been off more than it was.

When I was still a full time tech I ranked nervousness about over inflated tires blowing right up there with the nervousness of having an old school coil spring in a set of spring clamps. I've seen a guy end up losing a hand when an over inflated tire blew and I was across the shop when a spring compressor gave out and almost decapitated a guy. The spring only glanced his face and destoyed his lower jaw.

Back