Waxed car = Higher MPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You co-worker is correct! Waxing your car will improve mileage. Any act which improves the coefficent of drag will increase the mileage.

HOWEVER, the real question is; HOW MUCH will waxing your car increase mileage....and that is where the rub is. The answer: .000001 mpg.

In chemistry we learned that adding a single drop will increase the level of water in the ocean...but not by very much.

My friend is an airline pilot. He says that every 3-4 flights overseas, the will have the plane washed. A clean 747 will save $20,000 in fuel from Detroit to Toyko. Now, that's a 747 and that's a long way. So, when taking a look at your tiny car and the tiny distance you drive, the practicle answer to your question is: Negligible improvement in MPG.

car freaks
oil nuts
you guys are bonkers

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

yes it probably does to some degree only *** Almighty can measure, and it probably still doesn't pay for the cost to put the effort to do the wax

I very rarely wash my ride.

My last truck, almost never after the free washes expired from the dealer, and in truth, the longer I had it the better my milage, and it was so dirty most of the time, that every time when I did wash it, I would discover new cracks and chips in the paint... bet the dirt covered the chips up to give me better mpg heh!
rolleyes.gif

fun to think about but not very much real world payback..... but maybe just maybe if you were a racing crew, it would shave off just enough time to win... afterall isn't that what the swimmers did, ie shave all their hair to get faster times?
But seriously, I don't think it affects as much as say barnicles on the hull of a boat would reduce the agility and flexability of the boat... it's just oil/car freaks constant thoughts of their rides
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back