wax for a rolling pig sty

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2012 Cruze which has never been waxed, only washed. The car sits outside under trees and has never been garaged. I want to wax the car for her as a surprise while she is traveling next weekend. The years of exposure to sun and sap have left the clear coat looking rough. Do I need a cleaner to polish the clear coat or will a regular cleaner/wax combination do? I live near a Walmart, Advance Auto, and Auto Zone for any materials, and there is always Amazon.

Thanks in advance for any advice .

What color is it? Prob head to Walmart for the best prices on supplies compared to AA and AZ. Rain-X pre-wash gel should get a lot of gunk off followed by a clay bar. After a clay treatment prob go to NuFinish which is a polish and sealant. Just keep it away from the black trim pieces so they're not stained.

I recently did the 05 Matrix using some of the products mentioned which sits outside all the time. Has 156k miles on it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5169620/annual-detail#Post5169620

Last edited:
Satin Silver, the car is a Metallic Blue. Still looks good but needs TLC next weekend. Great opportunity to detail wifeys car and drink large amounts of beer to stay hydrated. :)

When I get a new used car that has a neglected finish I just wash it frequently and do a spray wax after every wash. This seems to slowly clean up the paint so that I can wax it later. Sometimes they start to look good enough that I don't bother with a real wax.

You can get some cheap auto detailing clay on Amazon. Just get the blue fine grade stuff. After you wash the car soap up each panel again and run the clay over it. Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Mark remover is kind of a must for $2.50 at Walmart.

I'd recommend trying the following:

1) Get some color changing wheel cleaner (Meguiars Ultimate and Eagle One Black & Plasti-Coat are the 2 options I know of). Spray this all over the paint and the wheels while dry. It will remove any iron contaminants. FYI it doesn't smell good when reacting with the iron.
2) Rinse the car, and spray the Rain-X Pre Wash Gel like another user mentioned. It will help remove any bugs or tar.
3) Wash the car with a non PH neutral soap. Walmart sells a Purple Power boat wash that is good for this. Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and gloss also works well for this.
4) After rinsing the car, use a clay bar. I prefer the Mothers reusable synthetic clay. You don't have to throw it away if you drop it. This should get the paint smooth and remove any bonded contaminants like the tree sap.
5) Any sap that won't come off, you can CAREFULLY use a solvent like mineral spirits to help break up the sap. Unfortunately sap tends to damage the paint after being baked on.
6) Polish the clear coat with some Meguiars Ultimate Polish. Using a DA buffer helps drastically, but you can do it by hand.
7) Seal the paint with a good sealant. I prefer spray sealants over actual waxes. Turtle Wax Ice Seal and Shine works very well and is cheap.

I hope this helps. I used to be a detailer and I follow these steps myself. Side note, de-greasers like Purple Power are cheap and are great for cleaning tires, wheel wells, and when diluted the interior.

Good man for wanting to clean your Wife's car.

I'd also suggest (if you have the time):
1) Clean the tires
2) Clean the interior
3) Check the fluid levels

I have a 2005 Colorado that has sat out for over half of its life with no attention other than maybe a wash every 2 years or so. The last 3 years it's been on a dusty farm, often parked near pine trees where it has picked up lots of sap. It was time to clean it up.
I have some experience using a meticulous process applying Zaino products to a "show" car. I wanted something to clean up the Colorado and protect the paint while looking good, but not put the work into it that Zaino would require. Cost wasn't much of a consideration as I've yet to find auto finish products that cost a significant amount when compared to the value of the time involved in the preparation and application process.
Washed the truck using Dawn (one time, effectively strips old wax), then clayed it. Almost any car wash or clay lube will do, just be liberal in the application. Rinsed using R.O. water, then removed the pine sap using alcohol diluted to 40%. Polished out some major clearcoat scratches with Meguires Scratch X 2, following up with Mirror Glaze M105 polishing compound on that area, then a lighter compound (M205). The contaminant and sun damaged hood and top were next with M205.
After all that prep work, I decided on a reportedly decent series to try it out. I used Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer followed by Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. It looks so good I decided the sealant is the top coat and the wax isn't needed.
The key is the prep work. You don't want to be grinding dirt, grit, and other contaminants further into the paint. The polish/sealant/wax process is pretty minor in comparison.
I believe the difference in products manifests itself in how long they last. Pick a matched line (car wash, polish enhancer, sealant, wax) that gets good reviews and go with it.

Atikovi - She does not read the forum and cares nothing about cars. I am hoping for a little "gratitude" after all my hard work :) In any case, the car needs a clean up. will send pix afterwards.

Anything will probably be an improvement truthfully.

Since your not trying to "restore" it and just trying to make it look nicer, just about any wash soap from Walmart to clean it up.
I agree with needing to get the paint cleaned up with a clay bar, but I would recommend using Mothers Speed Clay 2.0. It is a pad type "clay bar" that worked very well for me (see this post) and is so much easier and faster to use. Just make sure to use lube with it (you can use diluted was soap if you want). This will get the years of built up "stuff" off of it and make it feel smoother and look better.
For wax, there are tons of options. NuFinish seems to be gaining popularity again, and lots of recommendations from everyone.
My favorite now is Turtle Wax Ice paste wax.

Don't forget to treat the plastic and rubber trim. You'll lose your exterior window trim if it continues to sit in the sun with no UV protection.

Window trim.JPG

The OP needs to tell us how much time he is looking to spend doing this and if this is a one time shot, so longevity is important or will this become a somewhat regular thing?

I usually use Dawn Platinum dish soap, wash it a couple times. Clay bar after if needed, then Apply FK1000P wax.

Let it sit 24hrs and then coat with FK425 extra slick spray retailer. If I do this it will bead up for 1-2 years and hold up to automatic car washes. Good luck.

Donald - I hope to make waxing a yearly event. I have not waxed a car since the Carter administration, so, I am guessing this will take two 8 hour days. I tend to overestimate the time it will take to do stuff.

I went to Wally World and got Nu Finish, Mother's Speed Bar, Rain X bug and tar gel, and Rain X car wash. Have a huge pile of old cotton rags and cast off tee shirts.

Next weekend this heap is getting waxed, unless we have a monsoon.

Very good pickup from WM. I'd probably go back and get some microfiber towels since they clean so much better. Esp for polish removal. I'd also get some of the Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover for $2.50. It works very well and prior to this I wasn't much of a TW fan.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
What color is it? Prob head to Walmart for the best prices on supplies compared to AA and AZ. Rain-X pre-wash gel should get a lot of gunk off followed by a clay bar. After a clay treatment prob go to NuFinish which is a polish and sealant. Just keep it away from the black trim pieces so they're not stained.

I recently did the 05 Matrix using some of the products mentioned which sits outside all the time. Has 156k miles on it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5169620/annual-detail#Post5169620

FWIW: I recently sold my daughter's 2005 Toyota Matrix XR (with 166K miles) and prior to that did a full paint restoration on it (as a DIY guy). I was very surprised at just how hardy the clear coat was and how well it help up with very little swirl/scratches on it prior to my full DA machine polishing of it. Thing cleaned up like a shiny blue jewel and got full asking price!

This car has spent most of it's entire life outside and was seldom waxed (maybe 3 times?) over 14 years and only washed a few times a year via a drive-through type wash.

I used Chemical Guys products: Washed it, clayed it, DA machine polished it and then machine waxed it. Did the interior and exterior (wheels/tires/engine bay included) and spent a day or so doing it all at a leisurely rate. Also restored the headlights and did the Meguiars SiO2 spray wax at the end. Actually really enjoyed the process and of coarse the final result and subsequent sale for my daughter getting top dollar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back